The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

12 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Thanks for that.

In the NFL drafting four bigs (or four WRs/QBs/etc.) is terrible but in the NBA it doesn't matter that much.  If you told me I had to spend four high lotto picks and I'd get Simmons and Embiid out of it, no one would say no to that.   Especially considering Noel was by a decent group of people considered to be #1 pick worthy in a terrible draft class and the Sixers didn't really miss on anyone after him except Giannis which everyone missed on.  As for the Okafor pick that one is still a bit sketchy with Porzingis immediately taken after and some pretty good players after him.  I do remember some legitimate talk of Okafor being taken over KAT though.   

The bigger issue was like you said bungling the trade market when he the Sixers had the opportunity.  

Only talk of KAT over Towns was random fans who saw him in the NCAA tourney. KAT was always the pick.

But yea. I understand we went BPA, but we had to move them better/earlier. 

Key is getting Fultz back. This team needs that legit #3 to take pressure off. 

Nerlens' draft class was awful as a whole. Jahlil well, I think most of us were hoping for DeAngelo Russell before the Lakers took him surprisingly in front of us (we expected them to take Okafor). Russell didn't pan out either. KAT is a beast, no denying that but we had no shot to really get him.

What I'm trying to say is, we picked basically what was left for us to pick in those drafts and we can't fault that. Perhaps the trading of those certain players at certain times we didn't net as much as we could have for them, but if you traded them at different times then there's no guarantee we are at where we are right now.

Edited by Danger

• 2 weeks later...

So I don't blame a lot of the bad things going on on Brett Brown, young teams have to learn to figure things out.

With that said I don't think he' the guy to eventually lead us into title contention, and I'm not sure having two more lottery picks in what is becoming a better class than many expected along with a ton of cap space isn't the best option. Imagine taking a guy like Colin Sexton as a 6th man off the bench behind Ben Simmons at the one and a 2/3 like Mikal Bridges. Then go out and sign Nikola Mirotic in free agency as a starting stretch 4 kicking Saric to the second unit along with Sexton, Richaun Holmes, a re-signed Reddick, TLC, whoever you add with that second lottery pick, Jonah Bolden, Korkmaz, etc.

I'd love LeBron, but adding him means you take the ball out of Simmons, Embiid, and Fultz hands and could stunt their growth. Mirotic fits better with those guys as a stretch 4 and I like Saric off the bench better with this team.

If that doesn't put us into contention fire Brown. There are guys out there 

Simmons/Sexton/McConnel

Fultz/Reddick/TLC

Covington/Bridges/Anderson

Mirotic/Saric/Bolden

Embiid/Holmes/Pasecniks

I think with the ability to run a variation of the successful 4 guard offense with a legit shot changer in Embiid (Fultz/Reddick/Simmoms/Covington) among other out of the box lineups like he did at Nova, Jay Wright would be a perfect fit. The team is young enough to respect him and he's a player's coach who isn't afraid to discipline his guys. He's an outside the box thinker with a championship pedigree in the NCAA level, and the fanbase would be behind him. Fill his staff with veteran NBA coaches to help him deal with the transition.

I'm drunk spitballing.

Edited by EaglesFan5-36-81
  • Like 1

Our players shoot so many threes that it makes me wonder if they see themselves as the Warriors. Problem is that we don't have shooters like that...

There are way too many possessions where we just get it up the court and throw it to a "shooter" and let them pull it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 2:37 PM, resilient part 2 said:

When the hell is Fultz coming back. I thought they said a few weeks when he went out.

Soon aparently.  He' being slowly integrated into practice at the moment with the hope he' ready in a week or 2 according to what I've read.

Also the Lakers have the 2nd best lottery odds right now...just imagine if somehow that pick lands at #1 and we get it. Who do you take or would you trade back. Assuming Fultz gets healthy I'm going with Porter or Bagley personally.

Actually I am a Celtic fan so if Philly gets number 1 I will be pissed. Porter healthy or Bagley makes the most sense for Philly IMO. Or even Luca as point forward. Phillys passing game would be the best in the league and Luca can compliment all of Philly's other players.

Edited by resilient part 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

Fultz is 100% broken right now. It sucks. 

I think what he needs to be is able to shoot a basketball. I don’t know what percent we’re going to apply that comment, but he needs to feel he can go and shoot a basketball.  To just render it that the free throw is pretty good, and it is, and to only go that far without talking about some of the other pieces, is not what we are looking at, and I know he isn’t looking at that.

-Brett Brown

So it seems like Brown is a little frustrated as well.  Looks like Brown expected more to be fixed than just his FT form...and that is certainly not the case.

It's infuriating that we don't know what happened to him.  I was a big fan, but this shoulder thing is just weird and crazy.  Will we ever get a real explanation of what happened to him before he's out of the league?  Or is this going to be one of those things he doesn't admit until 10 years down the road.

Edited by seminoles1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

So it seems like Brown is a little frustrated as well.  Looks like Brown expected more to be fixed than just his FT form...and that is certainly not the case.

It's infuriating that we don't know what happened to him.  I was a big fan, but this shoulder thing is just weird and crazy.  Will we ever get a real explanation of what happened to him before he's out of the league?  Or is this going to be one of those things he doesn't admit until 10 years down the road.

Changed his form, didn;t work, made up injury as a cover, tried to switch form back, can't figure it out.

Issue is while he 3pt percentage was good in college, his FT was not. So I don't even know what the norm will be - it is all bizarre,