NCAA Proposal on Immediate Eligibility for Transfers

WeaponX

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Other students with full rides and stipends can also transfer with no restrictions about what they do at their new school.

I'm fine with them transferring and being immediately eligible if they pay their own way at their new school and they would've been accepted on merit to the first school like a typical student would have to do  

When a regular student transfers, it doesn't benefit the new school or hurt the old school. All this rule would do is have every kid transfer who isn't happy with PT, doesn't like being punished, an unheralded kid exceeds expectations and wants to go to a big school (one of the things that makes college sports great). For example, your new stud RB would probably transfer after this year to go to a school that can win a championship because one of those schools promises him a starting spot. It would basically turn any non elite program into a minor league team. 

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

I'm fine with them transferring and being immediately eligible if they pay their own way at their new school and they would've been accepted on merit to the first school like a typical student would have to do  

Other students who transfer don't have any of those restrictions.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Other students who transfer don't have any of those restrictions.

Yes they do. How does another student enroll without being accepted on merit? Lol. And you aren't guaranteed the same scholarship you originally got if you transfer.  If I get a full ride from Clemson and want to transfer to Harvard, I don't get a full ride just because Harvard accepted me and I was on one at Clemson.  

Student athletes aren't typical students anyways. Does a regular student get 5 all expense paid trips to anywhere in the country? No. Do they get access to free tutoring? No. Do they get all the perks of being a student athlete? No. 

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

Yes they do. How does another student enroll without being accepted on merit?

The rule would have academic requirements in college being met, which is similar. Colleges weight performance in college for transfers way more than HS. There's no difference here.

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

Lol. And you aren't guaranteed the same scholarship you originally got if you transfer.  If I get a full ride from Clemson and want to transfer to Harvard, I don't get a full ride just because Harvard accepted me and I was on one at Clemson.  

But you have no restrictions on what new scholarships or aid you would be eligible for, which is what you would be imposing. You're removing their ability to get an athletic scholarship like any other student.

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

Student athletes aren't typical students anyways. Does a regular student get 5 all expense paid trips to anywhere in the country? No. Do they get access to free tutoring? No. Do they get all the perks of being a student athlete? No. 

A regular student had the same access to official visits as any kid who got a scholarship, so yes. And yes, most schools have free tutoring. Do they get all the perks? No, but they aren't working a full time job.

I'm fine if someone is against this rule if they think kids should be paid, but you can't simultaneously think football players are just like any other student and believe in amateurism while restricting where kids can go. It's completely contradictory.

4 hours ago, PAW said:

Its also contradictory to want them to be treated like a regular student in regards to transfers, but not a regular student in all other facets. 

Where are they not being treated like regular students? Do they not have to attend class or maintain their grades?

Archived