It's Dallas week and I cant ever remember less excitement

Doc Draper

My seats are near the visitors tunnel, I am expecting to be surrounded by Cowboys fans again this year.  Which sucks, because when the stadium was full under Gibbs 2.0, even when we weren't great, it was only about 1/4 Cowboys fans, and our fans drowned them out.  Now, the fans that do show up are so disconnected from supporting the team, that we don't even try to make an effort to contest the Cowboys fans.  Same thing applies for the Eagles games.  

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

By who? Dallas fans?

By many media outlets - and I think PFF graded them slightly above average (take it for what it is worth). I think we are saying the same thing.... they are good not great.  As such, I do not think they are untouchable and our offensive game plan should include vertical challenges with Terry.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-secondaries-ahead-of-the-2019-nfl-season

The most recent I remember was back in 2014.

The date was December 28. The Week was 17. The Cowboys were 11-4 and playing for homefield advantage in the playoffs. The Redskins were 4-11 and playing to avoid another win that would drop them even further in the draft order after a meaningless win against Mark Sanchez led Philly in the previous week. 

It was the swan song game for the RGIII/Alfred Morris duo, which was gone by the next season. RGIII had taken the reins back from Colt McCoy after McCoy got injured. McCoy had previously taken the reins from RGIII (due to ineffectiveness), who had taken the reins from McCoy (when he came back from injury), who had taken the reins from Cousins (due to ineffectiveness), who had taken the reins from RGIII (due to injury).

The defense was predictably awful under Jim Haslett. Remarkable how bad those guys were. Tied for 3rd on the team in sacks (Jason Hatcher was 2nd behind Kerrigan with 5.5)? Brandon Meriweather and Frank Kearse. That’s right, a scumbag safety who played 10 games and an unknown DT who played 250 snaps. 

They got killed of course, but that’s not really the point — that was the most unexcited I’ve seen the organization and fanbase for Dallas Week in recent memory. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, I wasn’t excited about Dallas week in Zorn’s last year here in 09 bc I knew we’d lose or the 2nd game year either after Alex broke his leg or the year that Rex Grossman started.

I actually went to the Dallas game down there in Jerrah World that year. It was a memorable experience — first time visiting Dallas, was there with good friends and a really hot woman, drank a lot of beer and ate some great tailgate food, and the stadium really is amazing — but the game itself barely even registered on my radar. It was actually a pretty close game, as I recall, but I couldn’t have cared less about it at the time. 

The crazy thing is just imagine how much more excited Redskins fans would be if Bruce and Jay were gone. Now imagine if Kyle Smith was named GM and hired a whole new staff with say Kevin O’Connell at the helm. Then you trot Haskins out there to run the offense with a new attacking Defensive Coordinator on the other side to really play the defense to its strengths and there’d be a completely different aura around this team. 

When RG3 was torching defenses FedEx Field was electric. You can’t just bring the same old gang back and expect a different feel from your fans. The fans want Bruce and Jay gone and they want some hope for the future and until they get it you’ll continue to see a home stadium packed with opposing fans and shame on Snyder for not realizing this and fixing it since he’s the only one with the power to do so. 

42 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The crazy thing is just imagine how much more excited Redskins fans would be if Bruce and Jay were gone. Now imagine if Kyle Smith was named GM and hired a whole new staff with say Kevin O’Connell at the helm. Then you trot Haskins out there to run the offense with a new attacking Defensive Coordinator on the other side to really play the defense to its strengths and there’d be a completely different aura around this team. 

When RG3 was torching defenses FedEx Field was electric. You can’t just bring the same old gang back and expect a different feel from your fans. The fans want Bruce and Jay gone and they want some hope for the future and until they get it you’ll continue to see a home stadium packed with opposing fans and shame on Snyder for not realizing this and fixing it since he’s the only one with the power to do so. 

If we were still losing and we had Kyle Smith as GM & a different HC, the fans would still be apathetic towards this game. It's the decades of losing under Snyder with multiple HCs and GMs that has gotten us here. It's not just bc of the current GM/HC combo, it's been more than that.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, I wasn’t excited about Dallas week in Zorn’s last year here in 09 bc I knew we’d lose or the 2nd game year either after Alex broke his leg or the year that Rex Grossman started.

I’m excited to watch these young WRs again though. I think our passing game really has a chance to go off vs Dallas secondary bc it’s not very good.

I wouldn't bet on those young Wrs. Cowboys have way better corners than the trash that the Eagles put out against you guys on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Troublez said:

By many media outlets - and I think PFF graded them slightly above average (take it for what it is worth). I think we are saying the same thing.... they are good not great.  As such, I do not think they are untouchable and our offensive game plan should include vertical challenges with Terry.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-secondaries-ahead-of-the-2019-nfl-season

I guess the way I see it is out of the 3 levels of their defense their secondary is the weakest. Maybe that still means they’re above average but in no way do I think they’re in the good to great category. 

48 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

I wouldn't bet on those young Wrs. Cowboys have way better corners than the trash that the Eagles put out against you guys on Sunday. 

We’ll see. Byron Jones is good.  I don’t know that he’s any better than Darby, but I’ll concede that Dallas’ #2 and 3 are better than Rasul Douglas and Sidney Jones.

The Eagles safeties are better though with Jenkins who’s the best safety in the NFC East and maybe the entire NFC.

I don’t expect we will see the Cowboys defense on the field that much as their offense will be made to look like everyone is a pro bowl player and we may  have double digit 3 and outs, thanks Greg Manusky and his assistant who was one of the few worse defensive coordinators in the nfl. Incompetent people hire other incompetent people Doc’s rules of life # 32

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We’ll see. Byron Jones is good.  I don’t know that he’s any better than Darby, but I’ll concede that Dallas’ #2 and 3 are better than Rasul Douglas and Sidney Jones.

The Eagles safeties are better though with Jenkins who’s the best safety in the NFC East and maybe the entire NFC.

Technically Byron Jones is the #2..

21 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I don’t expect we will see the Cowboys defense on the field that much as their offense will be made to look like everyone is a pro bowl player and we may  have double digit 3 and outs, thanks Greg Manusky and his assistant who was one of the few worse defensive coordinators in the nfl. Incompetent people hire other incompetent people Doc’s rules of life # 32

That’s bc almost everyone in their offense is a pro bowler:

Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Cobb, Tyron Smith, Fredrick, Martin and arguably Collins.

Archived