Predict Joker's box office

KManX89

13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Define "bomb"? It's budget is $55 million. Double that for marketing (which hasn't been too much anyway to be honest). I think it makes that domestically which leaves international for profits? Loosely putting it. 

Exactly, it doesn't have to do Disney numbers (or even sub-Disney numbers) to be a success. $450-500m would be great for a low-budget R-rated film. Even $300-350m would be a nice profit margin for WB.

And with all the hype and rave reviews it's getting (it won an award at the Venice Film Festival), I can't see how it doesn't do at least that much. I expect a decent kids turnout for this movie as well just because it's an iconic Batman villain just like they turned out in droves for Logan and both Deadpool movies despite them being violent and gory as ish (and with an extra side of sexual content and crude body humor for Deadpool).

Its not going to be Deadpool, but a movie like Logan could be a good barometer for what we could expect, and that did 88 mil opening weekend and 226 mil total domestic for a 2.55 multiplier.

If we are just a little conservative with the opening at 70 million with a 2.4 multiplier, you get to 168 million. I think its legs will be better than Logan with it coming out in October and it having Oscar buzz, so that multiplier is going to go up, and I think it will do over 75 million its first weekend.

I doubt it will have huge overseas numbers because its not some huge blockbuster film so I think the box office take will be closer to 50/50 with the domestic total.

Opening Weekend:79 million
2.8 qualifier
Domestic Total:221 million
No WW opening prediction since I dont know what markets it will open in on OCT 4
WW Total:209 million
Total:430 million

I really wanna see it, but in order for me to pay 13 dollars to see it in the theater it will have to get an 80% on metacritic. I like the non fictional character having a fictionalized type documentary.  

I plan on seeing Doctor Sleep. So in order to have see this on in theater it needs decent reviews. 

On 14/09/2019 at 5:35 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

It's an art film masquerading as a DC movie.  IDK what it's going to do.  I think it will be fine, and if it's good it's going to have legs.  

Good to see someone calling it out for what it is. I don't care for it at all, but it will make a lot of money. I still hate that they're making a Joker origins movie. You can forever call me salty on that one.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Studio predicting in the 50 mill range. Either way this film isn’t going to bomb due to the small budget.

Where did you see this? (not trying to be a jerk) Because the projections havent been lower than $70 for a few months now, and after the Film Festival circuit people are talking as high as $100m+ (not likely)

6 hours ago, TheChancellor said:

Good to see someone calling it out for what it is. I don't care for it at all, but it will make a lot of money. I still hate that they're making a Joker origins movie. You can forever call me salty on that one.

Who was under the impression that it was anything else? Sure they are promoting it to the general public as a "DC Comic Book" movie, but thats just smart marketing

Everything around here has labeled this exactly what it is from before the first trailer

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Where did you see this? (not trying to be a jerk) Because the projections havent been lower than $70 for a few months now, and after the Film Festival circuit people are talking as high as $100m+ (not likely)

Studios typically are more conservative than actual tracking.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Who was under the impression that it was anything else? Sure they are promoting it to the general public as a "DC Comic Book" movie, but thats just smart marketing

Everything around here has labeled this exactly what it is from before the first trailer

Don't worry man, I wasn't referring to the general train of thought here, just people around me with whom I talked too, they seem to be hyping it up just too much.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

$40 million opening day. On its way to setting the October opening weekend record set just last year.

Not to mention this is probably a instant classic that will generate a strong cult following because of the character, performance, and controversy. This thing is running like seabiscuit right now.