Devin Singletary...

Suffering_Bills

7 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

My biggest concern with him is mileage. He had a ton of touches in college and that has me concerned long term.

He sure seems durable, though. The carry amount may be a non-issue. He's only a young 22, he's proven he can carry the load, and he's maybe just one of those types of athletes who almost never gets injured. Couldn't really find hardly any injury history of him in college, despite the heavy use. Unique body type probably helps.

I think he's also unique in his running style. Makes people look like they have bricks in their socks when he cuts. If I HAD to compare him to somebody? A smaller Travis Henry, minus the character issues, with a bit of Barry Sanders mixed in. Nowhere near as fast, but similar phone-booth agility. Tough runner for his size, too. Breaks tackles consistently.

He may never get the 99-yard highlight touchdowns, but that's not what he does. He just GAINS YARDS. And, at the end of the day, you need your RB to move the ball for you. That's his job. And... -final note...-I think we may have our new feature back, and a good one.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, jrry32 said:

The analytics said Singletary would almost certainly bust. Personally, he reminded me of Brian Westbrook. I think he'll be a good HB.

Pretty good analogy. If Singletary winds up being as good as Westbrook, it's a win. I'd say Westbrook was a bit more explosive and fast, Singletary is a bit more physical and elusive.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, HoboRocket said:

"Devin Singletary... looked the best in change-of-direction and receiving drills." 

"As far as weapons go, the Bills spent a third-round pick on Devin Singletary, who was one of my favorite runningbacks this year." 

Singletary was one of my top guys in the draft this year regardless of position. He's crazy quick and agile and showed quality receiving Pre-Draft. He's also a lot faster than his timed speed. He and Darrell Henderson were tops in the class in explosive plays of 20+ yards, if I remember correctly.

@BrownLeader repeatedly called him Shady McCoy Pre-Draft. And he really does look like McCoy-lite. He will run through arm tackles and can take carries up the middle, but his specialty is making defenders look silly. I think he has bellcow potential. His floor is a slightly better Justin Forsett, IMHO.

Decent comparison, but I think Devin could be a bit more than "slightly", potentially. The thing that seems to me to separate Singletary from other backs around his size is the fact that he plays PHYSICAL. Sure, he'll break your ankles in space, but when he lowers his shoulder, he gets in there and hits like a bigger back. Can handle the inside game. Makes him different.

Edited by Suffering_Bills

I’ve already seen enough of Singletary that tells me that he likely won’t bust. He’ll have a role, at minimum. My biggest concern with him entering the league was the lack of involvement in the receiving game. Usually players who aren’t productive in the receiving game aren’t productive for a reason. But in the case of Singletary, clearly his scheme held him back as a receiver. So far I’ve seen more from him than Miles Sanders and Darrell Henderson (which kills me to say because nobody was higher in Henderson than me). But I have him firmly below Montgomery. Not a big Jacobs fan bit you can’t ignore his usage. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

He sure seems durable, though. The carry amount may be a non-issue. He's only a young 22, he's proven he can carry the load, and he's maybe just one of those types of athletes who almost never gets injured. Couldn't really find hardly any injury history of him in college, despite the heavy use. Unique body type probably helps.

I think he's also unique in his running style. Makes people look like they have bricks in their socks when he cuts. If I HAD to compare him to somebody? A smaller Travis Henry, minus the character issues, with a bit of Barry Sanders mixed in. Nowhere near as fast, but similar phone-booth agility. Tough runner for his size, too. Breaks tackles consistently.

He may never get the 99-yard highlight touchdowns, but that's not what he does. He just GAINS YARDS. And, at the end of the day, you need your RB to move the ball for you. That's his job. And... -final note...-I think we may have our new feature back, and a good one.

Plenty of college RBs get 1500 carries and are durable then but the shots they take are bigger/more painful and as soon as their is a chink in their armor, its probably the beginning of the end. Kevin Smith is a prime example. I know he's a smaller dude, much like MJD but its going to be tough 

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Singletary looks smooth man. It seems like he'll be a good back in this league for a long time. Bills got a steal.

Except, clearly Frank Gore is better.  Otherwise why he be getting the majority of the touches and snaps?  The Bills staff must know something we don't.  #EliteFilmStudy

/sarcasm

The Bills are overthinking this.  This guy is a playmaker, clearly.  Get him on the field.  Don't care about his 3rd down blocking.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, theJ said:

Except, clearly Frank Gore is better.  Otherwise why he be getting the majority of the touches and snaps?  The Bills staff must know something we don't.  #EliteFilmStudy

/sarcasm

The Bills are overthinking this.  This guy is a playmaker, clearly.  Get him on the field.  Don't care about his 3rd down blocking.

Gore is probably out there because he’s very dependable in pass pro and ball security. Singletary was also a little banged up. But as runners? Not even close...Singletary should get 80% of the carries. 

50 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Gore is probably out there because he’s very dependable in pass pro and ball security. Singletary was also a little banged up. But as runners? Not even close...Singletary should get 80% of the carries. 

I agree that's the reason.  It just sounds like something Marvin Lewis would endorse.  So, i inherently disagree with the reasoning. ;)

• Like 1