Mason Rudolph Mega Thread - ALL RUDOLPH TALK HERE

steelcurtain29

Ficther and Butler come off as old relics, who didn't have the strongest resumes before getting these coordinator jobs. These guys were coordinators at Arkansas state and Memphis before being position coach guys with us for years, and we just hand them coordinator positions, did they even interview other candidates?

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Ficther and Butler come off as old relics, who didn't have the strongest resumes before getting these coordinator jobs. These guys were coordinators at Arkansas state and Memphis before being position coach guys with us for years, and we just hand them coordinator positions, did they even interview other candidates?

Fitchner didn’t deserve it, it was purely a Ben sign off. 

Butler, I believe, did deserve his shot, bring the protege to LeBeau and really getting the most out of his positional group...but that times gone. He doesn’t understand how to use people based on their skill sets and his only answer seems to be let’s send the corner. Even getting people on the field and basic communication has been a consistent problem under him. Talent levels aside, he puts us about 3 steps behind before the ball is even snapped. 

I’m still upset we didn’t turn over the coaching staff in the off-season when we had the chance (not Tomlin), specifically just the entire defense. I understand people that blame talent acquisition, but no one progresses here on defense and you can argue guys best years are their first ones here — when our coaching staff has the least impressions on them (Burns, Davis, Hilton, Cockrell, now even Edmunds) *notice a theme?*. 

At its core, coaching ability is being able to maximize the usage of the people around you. Defensively outside of the DLine, you can really only point to T.J. as being a homegrown asset that has progressed - and I’m willing to just write that off to his own god given ability. Munchack was a special kinda guy, but even Montgomery, Drake, Sexton, Daniels, etc on the offensive end have really improved the talent of their groups from their day 1 to a couple years in. We can’t say the same about defense - which is supposed to be our head coaches area of expertise (and part of the reason I personally believe we miss so much of project defensive talent). 

I just hate to think we are going to waste high end talent like T.J., Bush, and Minkah because our staff can’t progress players. They showed you they needed a change last year and we did the bare minimum. Now we are in the danger zone of needing to turn it all over in 1 year and hope for the best. 

58 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Fitchner didn’t deserve it, it was purely a Ben sign off. 

thank ben for this, ok I see now

2 hours ago, August4th said:

also, where is tomlins coaching tree? I

good one!

59 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Talent levels aside, he puts us about 3 steps behind before the ball is even snapped.

no kidding, another good one

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I just hate to think we are going to waste high end talent like T.J., Bush, and Minkah because our staff can’t progress players. They showed you they needed a change last year and we did the bare minimum. Now we are in the danger zone of needing to turn it all over in 1 year and hope for the best. 

add others on the roster over the years too.  This team has wasted away thats for sure

• 3 weeks later...

it appears that once Mason is healthy, he is the starter. As good as Mason might have been or I thought he was going to be, I was actually more optimistic about Hodges especially after the chargers game.  Who do you want starting?

Both are capable,  but it Hodges hit the WR's in stride a bit more accurately and the play calling was better (if Hodges had much to do with that).   Go with the winning QB is how I see it, begin the Duck dynasty:D

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Neither one wow'ed me so Rudolph starting is fine.  I think Hodges throws a prettier looking pass but neither one is looking like a world beater.

I actually came away more impressed with Rudolph. He seemed to be much more comfortable and it seemed like his passes had a little more zip on them. Honestly, you'd probably know more than me though. 

it looked like Mason was improving a bit against the Ravens, before he got knocked out. He started to throw it down the field more(although I hear the Ravens pass defense is suspect)I hope he builds more confidence and wings it a bit against Miami.I think Mason and Hodges have showed signs of being capable NFL back-up. I hope they bring Hodges back next yr and see if he can take another step up with more experience in this system. Having 2 quarterbacks who can manage a game is not a bad thing to have when you are starting a 38 yr old QB coming off elbow injury tbh so a improved Hodges at 3rd string is a asset

13 of Hodges 15 completions came within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. 8 of the 12 happened behind the line. 

Rudolph average yards, 6.9. Hodges average yards 6.9. Their completed air distance is identical and mason actually carriers a higher attempt distance. 

Remind me again why so many people are clamoring for Hodges over Rudolph because "he will sling it" Into the hands of defenders downfield because he has zero fear

I really, really like Hodges. I have no idea why this is so hard right now for fans to get. This isnt a direct comment for people in here, but its all over social media with people who love a nickname. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

13 of Hodges 15 completions came within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. 8 of the 12 happened behind the line. 

Rudolph average yards, 6.9. Hodges average yards 6.9. Their completed air distance is identical and mason actually carriers a higher attempt distance. 

Remind me again why so many people are clamoring for Hodges over Rudolph because "he will sling it" Into the hands of defenders downfield because he has zero fear

I really, really like Hodges. I have no idea why this is so hard right now for fans to get. This isnt a direct comment for people in here, but its all over social media with people who love a nickname. 

Yep. Even as a Steeler fan, the media's endless onslaught of the nickname annoyed me. I can only imagine how Non-Steeler fans felt about it.  

• Like 1

I personally dont want Hodges over Mason Rudolph. Never did. But what I do want his Hodges to be signed to a long term deal in the offseason. It's just smart business.

Think about this for a moment, what is the hardest position to fill in football with a GOOD player? Backup Quarterback because typically If they're a backup it means they're not very good. That's not always the case of course.

I wanted Devlin on the roster because of what I saw in preseason and because of what I saw Sunday. I get it, he was being 'babied' a bit with the play calling but there are situations that existed in that game that HE took command of and showed poise and intelligence. 

He has a good, not great arm he is accurate, he makes good decisions.

Even the Int he threw was a damn good pass. Maybe not the best decision but Holton also left him hanging.

I see POTENTIAL in Hodges and that is why I want him as a backup. If you can continue to develop him into a "Charlie Batch" where is the downside in that? That's why I want him as our backup 

31 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

He has a good, not great arm he is accurate, he makes good decisions.

Even the Int he threw was a damn good pass. Maybe not the best decision but Holton also left him hanging.

he has hit WR's in stride more than Mason from what I can remember.  Good idea to keep him around if they can, QB depth is only going to help the team if injury bug hits the QB's.  I liked the way the team responded most of all. They blocked, ran the ball and just dominated the chargers for most of the game. 

• Like 1

GAgreed. Anticipation of the throw is something that Hodges does well. Knowing when to throw it and how hard. Mason will get there and I felt like before he got hurt he was actually starting to show this against Baltimore.

I think the ceiling is lower for Hodges. But let's be honest not every player is gonna be a HOF player. Hodges is really good within his own skillset though and has the potential to improve. You dont let a legit back up QB just walk out the door if it makes sense to keep him financially