Mason Rudolph Mega Thread - ALL RUDOLPH TALK HERE

steelcurtain29

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'm hoping for great things but his ceiling MAY be Andy Dalton. 

I see that. I'm not as down on dalton as most people are. I think you can win with a QB like that, but the team needs to be well-rounded with talent. I think we will get a idea if the team can with a young Mason this yr and a 38 yr old Ben next yr.I'm  not expecting "franchise" QB play in the next few years

• Like 1

Rudolph is a good solid quarterback that was incredibly accurate in college with his deep ball throws. He's a better option right now than Ben will ever be again.

The real issues with this team are a lack of run blocking by the interior OL and the lack of quality depth at running back.

We need to add some meanness to this OL in the offseason. Someone that will spark the aggressiveness of a good not great OL. (maybe a new OL coach too)

At running back we need a legit co-starter. I like Connor more than I ever believed I would. I actually thought at the time that the pick was 2 rounds too early and made to stoke the fanbase. My bad. Samuels is an uber-talented multi-tool for the offense. But he isn't a game breaking running back.

If we don't make these changes, defenses will keep our running game shut down, tee off on Rudolph and arm chair quarterbacks will call him a bust. Big money will be coming off of the books in the next two off seasons. Invest it in REAL players. Not hopeful old backups.

Rant over. Thank you. lol

11 minutes ago, oksteeler said:

Rudolph is a good solid quarterback that was incredibly accurate in college with his deep ball throws. He's a better option right now than Ben will ever be again.

The real issues with this team are a lack of run blocking by the interior OL and the lack of quality depth at running back.

We need to add some meanness to this OL in the offseason. Someone that will spark the aggressiveness of a good not great OL. (maybe a new OL coach too)

At running back we need a legit co-starter. I like Connor more than I ever believed I would. I actually thought at the time that the pick was 2 rounds too early and made to stoke the fanbase. My bad. Samuels is an uber-talented multi-tool for the offense. But he isn't a game breaking running back.

If we don't make these changes, defenses will keep our running game shut down, tee off on Rudolph and arm chair quarterbacks will call him a bust. Big money will be coming off of the books in the next two off seasons. Invest it in REAL players. Not hopeful old backups.

I think Finney is a guy that provides some mean on the line. Foster is more of a big loveable grizzly bear. Unfortunately, that Grizzly is the starter for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Rudolf looked good for what they allowed him to do. The problem was largely limiting the offense. Fichtner called a game which limited the passing attack to 10 yard attempts or less. As others have pointed out, Rudolf excels at mid to long passing attempts. I don't know whether the gameplan was in place to attempt to negate SF's pass rush, but it was called poorly regardless.

If the Steelers can get back to a play-action pass and power running game, then they should be fine.

• Like 1

So I'm gonna ask a question and I don't know if there is anything actually to it 5 I'm gonna ask anyway. Does anyone think that the reason they are limiting the often so much especially with Ben as the quarterback is that they want to take the fall instead of Ben for the fact that Ben maybe doesn't have the arm that you want did and they don't want to openly admit that his time is rapidly coming to an end

42 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So I'm gonna ask a question and I don't know if there is anything actually to it 5 I'm gonna ask anyway. Does anyone think that the reason they are limiting the often so much especially with Ben as the quarterback is that they want to take the fall instead of Ben for the fact that Ben maybe doesn't have the arm that you want did and they don't want to openly admit that his time is rapidly coming to an end

No. You don't tank the season because you want to prop your injured QB up.

8 hours ago, oksteeler said:

agree about Samuels, OL and most everything you said. More important is that avatar, remembering what a real steelers team was like is much different than this tomlin/colbert bensteelers team thats for sure.  

Invest in real players makes sense, but thats what colbert did for bens offence, and the defence was failed draft picks.  

Like most here, Connor has his supporters and everyone wants him to play act a high level. If the OL could block, and he stops fumbling (and gets healthy), I expect the old Connor to return. However, I don't see the OL getting near what they were since AV and Feiler have fallen off, the OC is terrible and I am not sold on the OL coach either.  In less that an few games, the OL is nowhere near what it was when Munchak left.   If the OL goes to trash, that will about end it for me for a while anyways, I can't watch it.

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I dont see that as being the case because it would make no sense.   On top of that, I think Ben's ego is too big for him to allow that.   

NOW, there is a very real possibility that they were aware Ben was having elbow issues before the season started, and given that fact and the shortcomings of talent on offense, they became even more conservative.    

Fitchner is an awful OC, and that doesnt help matters either.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I don't know what to think of these coaches and ben. One thing that returned to my memory during all this was how ben was isolated on the sidelines during the jags playoff game /  loss a few years ago.  He just seemed to not care and was sulking , when he could have been rallying the team etc.  Then ben gets the OC he wants, no playoffs. This year the offence has been very offensive with or without ben.  Right now, it's the worst part of the team. Boswell seems to have got his game back and the D has been decent if not tired like they get near the end of the game.  

To me the answer is to get the rushing attack going, but forget snell who is too slow. Samuels and if Connor is healthy, and keep doing that , get play action going and see how the defence holds up later in the game after that. 

They should be trying to win, but maybe they are trying to take the fall, I mean they are getting a good result thats for sure. Imagine if they lose to the bungles?