2020 Draft thread

lavar703

42 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Sorry but he's the QB.  He will always be held to a higher standard.  

Oh I totally agree. That doesn’t change the fact that your priorities as a 22-year old are totally different than say 10 years later. He needs to step us a leader but I’m not crucifying the guy for doing what all 22-year olds do. He’s not out doing anything bad and seems like an all-around good guy so his twitter actions don’t concern me. 

We’ve seen absolutely nothing from this guy to compare him to RG3 so when Loverro does so it annoys me. I don’t see it as a race thing, I simply think Loverro feels the need to nitpick. He and Sheehan are two of my favorite guys to listen too but you can tell Loverro is very much behind the times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Oh I totally agree. That doesn’t change the fact that your priorities as a 22-year old are totally different than say 10 years later. He needs to step us a leader but I’m not crucifying the guy for doing what all 22-year olds do. He’s not out doing anything bad and seems like an all-around good guy so his twitter actions don’t concern me. 

We’ve seen absolutely nothing from this guy to compare him to RG3 so when Loverro does so it annoys me. I don’t see it as a race thing, I simply think Loverro feels the need to nitpick. He and Sheehan are two of my favorite guys to listen too but you can tell Loverro is very much behind the times. 

What did Griffin do off the field that said he lacked maturity? On the field the only thing people can say negative about Griffin is he didn't read coverages as well as other QB's, he didn't slide, and asked to be taken out of a system that benifited him best. 

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Retirement: I EXPECT JORDAN REED TO BE CUT & RETIRE. I don’t know what that means for Jordan’s cap hit, someone like Woz or Thai will have to explain that. If he's cut though we save about $11 million in cap space.

As I said in the other thread, it would free up $8.50M in cap space if they cut Reed. Honestly, as good as a player as he is, I think this falls in the same sort of category as Dallas with Romo: we love you too much to let you put your shoulder pads back on with us.

Paul Richardson will be cut - His deal has a two-year out and the Redskins should exercise that. His two-year stint went as many had predicted when we signed him but not as well as I had hoped by a long shot.

I'm with you there on Richardson. I felt it was worth a gamble as well, but McLaurin, Harmon and Sims all have made him overpriced versus his contribution to the team. C'est la vie.

Trent Williams - I expect a contract extension for Trent with new guaranteed money making him the highest paid LT in the NFL. Some fans will be upset with this and call it an overpay, which is fair. But we have the cap space and Bruce Allen is gone folks! Also, a LJ extension should lower Trent’s cap hit for this year which will open up space to sign other free agents. With Bruce now gone, there will be no more nickel and dimming free agents that the coach wants - especially not the Redskins best free agents. Expect less young talent leaving DC that Ron/Jack etc have developed and more of our own being re-signed to second contracts if they’ve earned them.

Not sure I agree with setting this precedent ...

Brandon Scherff - I think Ron Rivera, Eric Schafer and Kyle Smith will want to keep Scherff long term but based off of last years play they won’t want to make Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL. So, they won’t be able to work out a Zack Martin type of contract for Scherff and he will be franchised. That’s fine with me. While Scherff did have a down season, some of it - probably all of it - can be explained away bc of his rotator cuff injury which required surgery and his ankle/knee injury he suffered as well. The truth though is that if Scherff wants to be the highest paid guard in the NFL, he’s going to have to play like it next year otherwise, he should be let go in 2021 and in 2022 we can recoup our 3rd round comp pick when he signs somewhere else.

Even though Allen is no longer associated with the franchise, I think the front office in Ashburn would be wise to avoid using the tags this offseason.

Keep in mind that because it is the last year of the CBA a team can use both the franchise and the transition tag this year. Still ... not sure that's the best play. Let the memories of the team's franchise tag usage disappear into bad history.

Josh Norman - I expect that Ron will want him back next year but will want to lower his cap number so we can have cap space to sign other players. So, I expect a re-structure which will turn into a new 3 year deal but will lower Norman’s cap hit by nearly half for this year. 

Not really on board with this. Norman has looked like he doesn't care playing. Not sure how that is going to square with the new regime, even though Rivera knows him.

Chris Thompson - I know a lot of people want to move on, but we have a lot of question marks with our young RBs and their knees. There's no doubt CT has been injury-prone throughout his career but he did have 42 receptions in 11 games last year and he's someone we can rely on in that role and as a change of pace. I think Ron will want to keep him as our 3rd down back and change of pace back. I don't expect the deal to be huge - similar to what he currently has - 2 year $7 million contract. 

I suspect he's going to want more than this given his play and staying healthy the past couple of years. I think I treat him as a compensatory pick generator.

Flowers (I still cannot believe I'm saying that), Bostic and Keenum make sense to me, though.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Tre’ Boston - As I said above, most Redskins fans have wanted to sign him to be our FS for at least the last two offseasons - if not as many as 4 - he was in Carolina last year, we need an upgrade at FS and I expect that we’ll sign him to a 3 year deal that’s rather reasonable.

Eric Reid - Two things here. One, with this signing, it will signal a change in position for Landon Collins to weakside linebacker. Like what Ron did with Shaq Thompson, he will see more potential in Landon as a LB playing closer to the line of scrimmage ever play and covering TEs off the line of scrimmage and RBs in the flat rather then TEs and WRs down the field. 

Also, I expect that Eric Reid will be cut in Carolina despite coming off a 130 tackle 4 sack season because his cap hit next year is $8 million and the Panthers have an out after last season to cut him.

I think that's putting a lot of money in safeties. Not sure that's the best decision, even if Collins is moving to WLB (what do you do with Reuben Foster?).

Fuller and Hooper? I could be okay with this. Hooper's going to command top market though.

As for your draft picks, only one I quibble with is Eason in the 4th. Do you really feel it is necessary to spend a top 100 pick (or near top 100 ... don't know how the compensatory picks will shake out) on a backup QB? Yes yes, Cousins and all, but he's the exception, not the rule.

@Woz Yes, I think we need a back up QB to develop for the future. I also honestly found it hard to decide on who to draft in the mid and late rounds bc after free agency and with our young depth, I like our roster. So, I took a QB who will be a great back up IMO and could eventually be a starter in the league.

As for safety, you may disagree but yes, I think the best position on defense for Collins is as a WLB.

As for Foster:

1. as I’ve said before, I don’t count on him. I don’t know how healthy he’s going to be bc his awful knee injury that he suffered last mini-camp. As far as I’m concerned, anything we get from him is gravy, but I am not counting on him to come in and be a definite starter.

2. I don’t see why he has to play WLB. I think he can play any of the 3 LB positions in a 4-3 defense. So, if it works out that Collins moves to WLB and Reuben Foster is healthy enough to play next year, he can start at SLB IMO with Bostic in the middle.

I don’t think Tre Boston is going to command a huge contract. As far as Eric Reid goes, we have the cap space. Both of these safeties are young, they played together last year so they’ll have chemistry. Reid can make a lot of plays around the scrimmage like Collins plus he’s better in coverage. Boston is good on coverage and a big hitter that could help our defense on the back end as well.

I really would love these moves for our defense and if Reuben Foster is healthy enough and plays SLB, with Collins Bostic and Foster as our LBs we will have a fast an athletic group of starting LBs. Then, we’ll have speed as reserves with Holcomb & SDH too.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

As I said in the other thread, it would free up $8.50M in cap space if they cut Reed. Honestly, as good as a player as he is, I think this falls in the same sort of category as Dallas with Romo: we love you too much to let you put your shoulder pads back on with us.

I'm with you there on Richardson. I felt it was worth a gamble as well, but McLaurin, Harmon and Sims all have made him overpriced versus his contribution to the team. C'est la vie.

Not sure I agree with setting this precedent ...

Even though Allen is no longer associated with the franchise, I think the front office in Ashburn would be wise to avoid using the tags this offseason.

Keep in mind that because it is the last year of the CBA a team can use both the franchise and the transition tag this year. Still ... not sure that's the best play. Let the memories of the team's franchise tag usage disappear into bad history.

Not really on board with this. Norman has looked like he doesn't care playing. Not sure how that is going to square with the new regime, even though Rivera knows him.

I suspect he's going to want more than this given his play and staying healthy the past couple of years. I think I treat him as a compensatory pick generator.

Flowers (I still cannot believe I'm saying that), Bostic and Keenum make sense to me, though.

I think that's putting a lot of money in safeties. Not sure that's the best decision, even if Collins is moving to WLB (what do you do with Reuben Foster?).

Fuller and Hooper? I could be okay with this. Hooper's going to command top market though.

As for your draft picks, only one I quibble with is Eason in the 4th. Do you really feel it is necessary to spend a top 100 pick (or near top 100 ... don't know how the compensatory picks will shake out) on a backup QB? Yes yes, Cousins and all, but he's the exception, not the rule.

100% agree with not wanting a qb in Draft,while Kirk worked no need to give Haskins his own version of Kirk to look over his shoulder at.

At Saftey personally if we spending money I'd prefer it be on Justin Simmions,also wouldn't mind either former UVA Safties Ant Harris or Mcleod.

A big money guy I havn't seen people link to us prob cause he is 31 but we'll prob be in the Market for is Chris Harris as he has ties to Del Rio from Denver.Other older Vets that could make sense with Del Rio are Woodward and Trevathan at lber(one or the other not both).

TE wise I'd love Hooper but think he ends up back in ATL as Ryan and Jarrett already took contracts cuts to help cap,Ebron or Eifert(I know he has Jordans inj luck) seem more like us to me

3 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

100% agree with not wanting a qb in Draft,while Kirk worked no need to give Haskins his own version of Kirk to look over his shoulder at.

At Saftey personally if we spending money I'd prefer it be on Justin Simmions,also wouldn't mind either former UVA Safties Ant Harris or Mcleod.

A big money guy I havn't seen people link to us prob cause he is 31 but we'll prob be in the Market for is Chris Harris as he has ties to Del Rio from Denver.Other older Vets that could make sense with Del Rio are Woodward and Trevathan at lber(one or the other not both).

TE wise I'd love Hooper but think he ends up back in ATL as Ryan and Jarrett already took contracts cuts to help cap,Ebron or Eifert(I know he has Jordans inj luck) seem more like us to me

I went with the Carolina safeties bc of Rivera. Rivera is the HC and by all accounts - at least in this offseason - he has final say on who he wants on the roster. So, I think if Boston and Reid are available and if they do move Collins to WLB that they’ll be the guys Rivera wants first. If not, I have no problem with the other guys you mentioned at all but I would think at first Rivera would bring in the guys he’s familiar with.

Norman, Reed should be gone.

I think Richardson does more for Dwayne this year thank to cut him, but if he is cut it's a post June 1st cut.

I'd like to try to extend Allen before he earns some accolades, obvious team leader.

Would like Williams back but also wouldn't mind trading him if we got a good deal.

Def want Chase Young at 2, then a combo of OL and DB's the rest of the way.

Just now, RaykwonDaChef said:

I think Richardson does more for Dwayne this year thank to cut him, but if he is cut it's a post June 1st cut.

If you mean "post June 1st cut" the option to treat a player as being cut after June but cut them in March, that is not an option in the final year of the CBA.

If instead you mean, keep him on the roster until June and then cut him ... why? (honestly asking)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RaykwonDaChef said:

I'd like to try to extend Allen before he earns some accolades, obvious team leader.

Would like Williams back but also wouldn't mind trading him if we got a good deal.

Richardson is awful. He’s been surpassed by two other players after being surpassed by McLaurin. He’s a goner. 

• Like 2

I agree he's not amazing but also with just the team and cap situation. Despite what Ron said we won't be top contenders. Cutting Norman/Reed and maybe trading Trent would have the Skins around 70 million in cap.

Not sure they'd be in a hurry to save more to cut the veteran WR. We don't know Paul's relationship with the team. Maybe he is a great leader and the fact hes been unlucky with injury may keep him around.

2 hours ago, RaykwonDaChef said:

Welcome back to the fourum!

Reed will be gone. Please understand that the reason I have Norman being retained is bc of Rivera. I think Rivera will want to retain Norman, if it was up to me, I would have cut Norman last March.