Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

If people in New York were saying try Flowers at Guard and they never did, they have a right to be upset. Just like I'm upset we didn't use Smith the way he's being used in Greenbay. To still say Smith sucks is completely incorrect. If that were the case he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he has in Greenbay so far. Our coaching staff here Sucks so that's why Smith was what he was here. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If people in New York were saying try Flowers at Guard and they never did, they have a right to be upset. Just like I'm upset we didn't use Smith the way he's being used in Greenbay. To still say Smith sucks is completely incorrect. If that were the case he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he has in Greenbay so far. Our coaching staff here Sucks so that's why Smith was what he was here. 

I agree our coaching staff had a major hand in it but we only really know this because of the way he’s playing in Green Bay. I mean, let’s be real here, if his production stayed the same there as it was here, you think Green Bay wouldn’t be questioning their decision to pay him so much? 

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I agree our coaching staff had a major hand in it but we only really know this because of the way he’s playing in Green Bay. I mean, let’s be real here, if his production stayed the same there as it was here, you think Green Bay wouldn’t be questioning their decision to pay him so much? 

I can't compare his production there to his here because in Greenbay they actually admitt to being wrong. Here Jay hired Manusky and the DC of a 0-16 Lions team over Wade Phillips for his own sake. If Smith keeps up those type of numbers in Greenbay, they won't let him hit the free agent market again unless they just can't afford him. 

Edited by Skins212689

58 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I can't compare his production there to his here because in Greenbay they actually admitt to being wrong. Here Jay hired Manusky and the DC of a 0-16 Lions team over Wade Phillips for his own sake. If Smith keeps up those type of numbers in Greenbay, they won't let him hit the free agent market again unless they just can't afford him. 

I agree. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, lavar703 said:

You also have to consider market conditions, and that guys who show that they have any inclination for pass-rushing, even in part-time, tend to get overpaid.  That was my whole issue with Smith, and being OK letting him walk.  Green Bay had to fix the pass-rush, and they spent a ton of money doing so by getting both Smiths to sign via FA.  They had to overpay to make it happen, but so far it's working out.  

• Like 1

Preston Smith is a 3-4 OLB in Green Bay and was a 3-4 OLB in DC, can someone please explain to me how he’s being used differently in Green Bay? 

I’m at a loss here.

If you actually watched him play in DC, you’d know that he was always an effective pass rusher. Just bc he didn’t always get home on his rushes doesn’t mean that he wasn’t effective. He and Kerrigan were a great edge pass rushing tandem. Far better than what we’ve seen this year from Kerrigan and Sweat.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Preston Smith is a 3-4 OLB in Green Bay and was a 3-4 OLB in DC, can someone please explain to me how he’s being used differently in Green Bay? 

I’m at a loss here.

If you actually watched him play in DC, you’d know that he was always an effective pass rusher. Just bc he didn’t always get home on his rushes doesn’t mean that he wasn’t effective. He and Kerrigan were a great edge pass rushing tandem. Far better than what we’ve seen this year from Kerrigan and Sweat.

Yep. You’re right turtle. None of us watched him play....

Preston Smith’s salary cap hit this year is $6 million and the Redskins have $13.7 million in cap space. Brice Allen should have re-signed Preston Smith.

If had done that, then we wouldn’t have had to trade up for Montez Sweat and they’d still have their 2020 second round pick.

Then, instead of drafting Sweat, we could have taken a DB, inside linebacker, lineman, or wide receiver in round 2.

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yep. You’re right turtle. None of us watched him play....

Must not have. He got a heck of a lot of pressure when he was our OLB. Now, I agree he didn’t get as home as much in 2018 as he did in 2015 & 17 and we had wished he would have, but he was part of one of the best front 4/5 pass rush attacks in Redskins history.

He’s the same guy in Green Bay that he was in DC. Honestly, I think the main thing that’s helping him get more sack stats this year vs 2018 is that this year he’s facing lesser competition.

The NFC North has worse LTs than the NFC East does.

Do some actually analysis from his game log and who Preston got his sacks against:

Week 1: 1.5 sacks vs Chicago and Charles Leno 

Week 2: 0 sacks vs Minny and Riley Reiff 

Week 3: 3 sacks vs Denver and Garrett Boles

Week 4: 0 sacks vs Phila

Week 5: 1 sack vs Dallas 

Week 6: 1.5 sacks vs Detroit 

Week 7: 0 sacks vs Oak

Edited by turtle28

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Must not have. He got a heck of a lot of pressure when he was our OLB. Now, I agree he didn’t get as home as much in 2018 as he did in 2015 & 17 and we had wished he would have, but he was part of one of the best front 4/5 pass rush attacks in Redskins history.

He’s the same guy in Green Bay that he was in DC. Honestly, I think the main thing that’s helping him get more sack stats this year vs 2018 is that this year he’s facing lesser competition.

The NFC North has worse LTs than the NFC East does.

Do some actually analysis from his game log and who Preston got his sacks against:

Week 1: 1.5 sacks vs Chicago and Charles Leno 

Week 2: 0 sacks vs Minny and Riley Reiff 

Week 3: 3 sacks vs Denver and Garrett Boles

Week 4: 0 sacks vs Phila

Week 5: 1 sack vs Dallas 

Week 6: 1.5 sacks vs Detroit 

Week 7: 0 sacks vs Oak

Yet when people bring up Kirk Cousins and how he plays vs less competition compared to better competition you just ignore that or bring up how he didn't have this or that! How convenient Turtle. 

Edited by Skins212689

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Yet when people bring up Kirk Cousins and how he plays vs less competition compared to better competition you just ignore that or bring up how he didn't have this or that! How convenient Turtle. 

That wasn’t my point. My point was when PReston was rushing in the NFC East he faced tougher competition but that doesn’t change that he’s always been a good pass rusher. If you watched him play for the Redskins, you’d see that he got consistent pressure every year he was here.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That wasn’t my point. My point was when PReston was rushing in the NFC East he faced tougher competition but that doesn’t change that he’s always been a good pass rusher. If you watched him play for the Redskins, you’d see that he got consistent pressure every year he was here.

You clearly said the reason Smith numbers are up with Greenbay is BECAUSE he's going against weaker competion. The NFC North has worst LTs than the NFC East. 

The same way Cousins record against teams with winning records is way lower compared to his vs teams with losing records. At least your a fair guy and wanted to keep both guys. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

You clearly said the reason Smith numbers are up with Greenbay is BECAUSE he's going against weaker competion. The NFC North has worst LTs than the NFC East. 

The same way Cousins record against teams with winning records is way lower compared to his vs teams with losing records. At least your a fair guy and wanted to keep both guys. 

You’re comparing a Qbs win/loss record and a pass rushers stats. That’s not the same thing. Personally, Kirk has produced against good teams, sometimes his team wins if the team overall plays well but he’s mostly been on a bad Redskins team for most of his career so of course the Redskins lose to teams with good records bc they haven’t been a good team since 2005.

Again, wins and losses is a team stat. It’s not an individual stat for a player.

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re comparing a Qbs win/loss record and a Las rushers stats. That not the same thing. Personally, Kirk has produced against good teams, sometimes his team wins if they all play well but he’s mostly been on a bad Redskins team for most of his career so of course the Redskins lose to teams with good records bc they haven’t been a good team since 2005.

Again, wins and losses is a team stat. It’s not an individual stat for a player.

If Smith is getting more sacks as you said because he's playing against weaker competition (LT's) it's no different than Cousins putting up better stats vs teams with losing records compared to those with winning records. 

Against teams with Better defenses and competent QB's (Bears and Packers) the Vikings lost and Cousins played a major role in them losing sir. 

Edited by Skins212689

16 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If Smith is getting more sacks as you said because he's playing against weaker competition (LT's) it's no different than Cousins putting up better stats vs teams with losing records compared to those with winning records. 

Against teams with Better defenses and competent QB's (Bears and Packers) the Vikings lost and Cousins played a major role in them losing sir. 

Kirk doesn’t usually have an issue playing well against good teams. He produces good stats in almost every game he plays.

Kirk was 75% for 233 yards vs the Bears. That’s pretty good vs that defense. 

In comparison, Keenum had more yards and 2 TDs (one in garbage time) but Keenum had 5 turnovers vs the Bears defense. 

Kirk only had one turnover vs the Bears, just one fumble. Keenum had 3 interceptions and lost two fumbles.