Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

He sucked for the Redskins though.  Its pretty obvious our defensive coaching staff is the worst in the league and doesn't know how to put players in position to succeed.  

He didn’t suck for the Redskins, this continues to be an awful take. Smith was no Orakpo, but from the time he first started at ROLB he was more effective than what Sweat currently is. He got consistent pressure on the QB in his time here.

I mean, PSmith did have a safety in the last home playoff game we had in 2015-16 and multiple ints on top of his sacks and didn’t he almost have a fumble recovery for a TD while he was in DC too?

Edited by turtle28

52 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Right now Montez Sweat looks like a bust for where we picked him.  But Preston Smith also didn't give us much his first year. 

What? PSmith started only 1/2 the season & split time with Trent Murphy & he still had 8 sacks as a rookie and a safety in the playoff game vs the Packers in 2015/16. He certainly showed he belonged in the NFL as a rookie.

Smith is thriving in Green Bay bc he’s playing on the left side now and not the right where he had to rush against Tyron Smith, Peters and Solder 6 times a year on top of other good or great LTs.

Sweat also will be better cast as a LOLB/LDE. I hope we get to draft and do draft Chase Young and then move Sweat to the left side. Then, our pass edge rush should thrive and get 20 plus sacks like Kerrigan & Smith did in 2017.

Edited by turtle28

39 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

A bust how?

Many people thought he was the best pass rusher in the draft and he has yet to take over a game or really do anything other than occasionally flash.

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What? PSmith started only 1/2 the season & split time with Trent Murphy & he still had 8 sacks as a rookie and a safety in the playoff game vs the Packers in 2015/16. He certainly shoes he belonged in the NFL as a rookie.

Smith is thriving in Green Bay bc he’s playing on the left side now and not the right where he had to rush against Tyron Smith, Peters and Solder 6 times a year on top of other food or great LTs.

Sweat also will be better cast as a LOLB/LDE. I hope we get to draft and do draft Chase Young and then move Sweat to the left side. Then, our pass edge rush should thrive and get 20 plus sacks like Kerrigan & Smith did in 2017.

Maybe so, but he also had problems with being lazy and so forth.  I guess he was more productive than Sweat from a sack point of view, but Sweat has more tackles.  

The tact of blaming the coaching staff might be accurate, but we will never prove it until we see Sweat also under a different staff.  

I also think you are comparing Preston Smith in his prime to a rookie which is a tough comparison.

24 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Many people thought he was the best pass rusher in the draft and he has yet to take over a game or really do anything other than occasionally flash.

Maybe so, but he also had problems with being lazy and so forth.  I guess he was more productive than Sweat from a sack point of view, but Sweat has more tackles.  

The tact of blaming the coaching staff might be accurate, but we will never prove it until we see Sweat also under a different staff.  

I also think you are comparing Preston Smith in his prime to a rookie which is a tough comparison.

No I'm comparing the rookie year Smith had to Sweat’s rookie year. Smith had 6 of his 8 sacks the final half of his rookie season in 2015 and he had a sack & safety in the playoffs game. He was arguably our best defender in the playoff game vs the Packers with his 3 tackles, sack and safety.

That being said, Sweat has 5 games left to play, he could have a handful more sacks I guess and it’s true he’s been a good run defender but we drafted him to get pressure on the QB and he hasn’t gotten as much as Smith did when Smith was a rookie.

Edited by turtle28

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No I'm comparing the rookie year Smith had to Sweat’s rookie year. Smith had 6 of his 8 sacks the final half of his rookie season in 2015 and he had a sack & safety in the playoffs game. He was arguably our best defender in the playoff game vs the Packers with his 3 tackles, sack and safety.

That being said, Sweat has 5 games left to play, he could have a handful more sacks I guess and it’s true he’s been a good run defender but we drafted him to get pressure on the QB and he hasn’t gotten as much as Smith did when Smith was a rookie.

You are right, it seems my memory is amiss.  I recall Preston Smith struggling and there being questions of focus.  

But I think it is premature to draw this comparison.  I however do think Sweat has been a disappointment.  To date, he does not look like a game changer.

Edited by offbyone

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You are right, it seems my memory is amiss.  I recall Preston Smith struggling and there being questions of focus.  

But I think it is premature to draw this comparison.  I however do think Sweat has been a disappointment.  To date, he does not look like a game changer.

Its too soon to get a true evaluation of Sweat. If he’s not getting more pressure next year I’ll be concerned.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

We can’t judge Sweat with these coaches.  

Yet YOUR judging Smith who had the same coaching plus a worst one in Joe Barry while here. A coach who was the DC for the 0-16 Detroit Lions. Judging Smith or Sweat for their play here with the Coaches they've had makes little sense to me as we know Barry and Manusky aren't really good coaches. Now had they hired Wade Phillips and Smith didn't produce that would've been different. Still under below average coaching Smith produced 24.5 sacks in 4 seasons. That's not a guy who SUCKS dude. #Facts

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Yet YOUR judging Smith who had the same coaching plus a worst one in Joe Barry while here. A coach who was the DC for the 0-16 Detroit Lions. Judging Smith or Sweat for their play here with the Coaches they've had makes little sense to me as we know Barry and Manusky aren't really good coaches. Now had they hired Wade Phillips and Smith didn't produce that would've been different. Still under below average coaching Smith produced 24.5 sacks in 4 seasons. That's not a guy who SUCKS dude. #Facts

Mknight is just looking for a reason to prove his thought that Smith would only be mediocre ever. He said that for 4 years while Smith was in DC, I disagreed. Now, Smith goes to Green Bay, switches sides to LOLB and goes against lesser competition and is having a great season. He sees its obvious that someone like me was right all along - that Smith was/is better than just mediocre - so now he's blaming coaching.

14 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

But isn’t that the point? Nobody, with maybe the exception of @turtle28considered Smith a top-tier pass rusher while here. He definitely underachieved and most didn’t think it was a big deal to let him go. Now that he’s exploding in Green Bay and back here Sweat is experiencing some of the same issues Preston experienced you start questioning the coaching staff.

I mean if it’s a one-off situation with a talented guy then you chalk it up to just underachieving but now that it’s two plus Ryan Anderson as well you have to start wondering about the coaching they’re getting. It’s also why it’s imperative this staff is gone if we end up with Chase Young. We can’t have them wasting a talent like that having him cover backs and TEs. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But isn’t that the point? Nobody, with maybe the exception of @turtle28considered Smith a top-tier pass rusher while here. He definitely underachieved and most didn’t think it was a big deal to let him go. Now that he’s exploding in Green Bay and back here Sweat is experiencing some of the same issues Preston experienced you start questioning the coaching staff.

I mean if it’s a one-off situation with a talented guy then you chalk it up to just underachieving but now that it’s two plus Ryan Anderson as well you have to start wondering about the coaching they’re getting. It’s also why it’s imperative this staff is gone if we end up with Chase Young. We can’t have them wasting a talent like that having him cover backs and TEs. 

Say the coaches Suck not the player's is what I'm saying. Like I said 24.5 sacks in 4 season's isn't the resume of a player who sucks. With better coaching I believe his numbers could've been better as he's showing in Greenbay. Also the reason you said it's imperative if they draft Chase Young Manusky isn't coaching him! 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Mknight is just looking for a reason to prove his thought that Smith would only be mediocre ever. He said that for 4 years while Smith was in DC, I disagreed. Now, Smith goes to Green Bay, switches sides to LOLB and goes against lesser competition and is having a great season. He sees its obvious that someone like me was right all along - that Smith was/is better than just mediocre - so now he's blaming coaching.

The mindset of a person who can't admitt when wrong. Doesn't bother me he doesn't respond. It's clear he was wrong. Just like I was wrong about Ryan Anderson. 

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Say the coaches Suck not the player's is what I'm saying. Like I said 24.5 sacks in 4 season's isn't the resume of a player who sucks. With better coaching I believe his numbers could've been better as he's showing in Greenbay. Also the reason you said it's imperative if they draft Chase Young Manusky isn't coaching him! 

Not to argue your point but 6 sacks a year isn’t very impressive. However it’s now becoming quite clear this wasn’t an indictment of Preston Smith, more so Manusky.