Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

Wait, who is Montez Sweat? Super disappointing. Can this guy even get a pressure on the QB? I've seen enough. Classic case of looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. But everyone loved his combine!!! I said all during the draft process he doesn't have experience standing up & looks stiff standing up but noooo he'll make the transition just fine. He's like our new Josh Doctson!!!

Meanwhile 'average' Preston Smith has made impact plays in both his games in Green Bay .  "THE SAVIOR" KYLE SMITH DOES NOT GET A PASS FOR THIS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Wait, who is Montez Sweat? Super disappointing. Can this guy even get a pressure on the QB? I've seen enough. Classic case of looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. But everyone loved his combine!!! I said all during the draft process he doesn't have experience standing up & looks stiff standing up but noooo he'll make the transition just fine. He's like our new Josh Doctson!!!

Meanwhile 'average' Preston Smith has made impact plays in both his games in Green Bay .  "THE SAVIOR" KYLE SMITH DOES NOT GET A PASS FOR THIS.

If you really think Sweat went in the first round because of his combine then I honestly have to question how much of him you watched in college? 24 sacks and 31 tackles for loss in two seasons isn’t “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”. 

And are we really going to go on a tangent about Preston Smith? He was horrible here. He couldn’t get to the QB to save his life. You’re reaching very early. Let the dude develop. Sheesh. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If you really think Sweat went in the first round because of his combine then I honestly have to question how much of him you watched in college? 24 sacks and 31 tackles for loss in two seasons isn’t “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”. 

And are we really going to go on a tangent about Preston Smith? He was horrible here. He couldn’t get to the QB to save his life. You’re reaching very early. Let the dude develop. Sheesh. 

I am incredibly frustrated from this game so I am obviously overreacting but I think Montez needs to pick it up. He had 22.5 sacks, not 24 btw. And no, Preston was not 'horrible' here. Leave that for Ryan Anderson! lol

We let Josh Doctson 'develop' too.

Edited by taylor made

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

I am incredibly frustrated from this game so I am obviously overreacting but I think Montez needs to pick it up. He had 22.5 sacks, not 24 btw. And no, Preston was not 'horrible' here. Leave that for Ryan Anderson! lol

The reality is that Preston Smith was not producing here.  If he ends up looking good for the Packers that is just more proof of how terrible our defensive coaching staff is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

Docston had his own set of problems away from football that followed him back to college. Docston not being any good has absolutely nothing to do with Sweat. He’s a 4-3 pass rusher being played out of position and he’s learning. Kerrigan went through the same thing. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The reality is that Preston Smith was not producing here.  If he ends up looking good for the Packers that is just more proof of how terrible our defensive coaching staff is.

That was my point in the game day thread. Preston playing well looks much worse on a Manusky than it does anything else. 

Wait, the uber-toolsy 2-year college starter DE we drafted in the late 1st didn’t come in as a polished, finished product ready to step in at OLB and whip HOF LTs within his first two career starts? Let’s pull the plug. 

Maybe we can trick some foolish team into taking this complete failure/unmitigated disaster off our hands. Based on his lengthy NFL track record of complete futility, a 4th is the best I think we could hope for. Maybe a late 3rd — if some team offered a huge overpay like that, I’d drive him to the airport myself (and obviously accompany him all the way to the gate, because  clearly this bum couldn’t even get past a turnstile on his own). 

While we’re at it, maybe we can throw in Haskins as well. We’re two full games in and this loser still hasn’t even completed a pass 🤮

• Like 4

The truth is Preston Smith is better than most in the forum ever gave him credit for and Sweat is a developing rookie who has potential, size and athletic ability but is raw. Also, Sweat just faced two pro bowl LTs - Jason Peters and Tyson Smith.

Also, Don't forget the first half of Smith’s rookie season he did basically nothing and was a back up to Trent Murphy. 

Patience my friends, patience.

• Like 1

Psmith did produce in a Redskins uniform for those who don't know, he just was only ”good” and not better than good or elite like most fans expect from every pass rusher on every play. Fans unrealistically expected the same out of Orakpo just bc he wasn't Dexter Manley!

Smith had two 8 sack seasons. He had a sack and a safety in the playoff game vs the Packers. He had 8 & 10 tackles for loss in 2016 and 2017 and 21 QB hits in 2017 and 16 in 2018.

So, As much as fans think PSmith did nothing in a Redskins uniform, they're wrong.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Psmith did produce in a Redskins uniform for those who don't know, he just was only ”good” and not better than good or elite like most fans expect from every pass rusher on every play. Fans unrealistically expected the same out of Orakpo just bc he wasn't Dexter Manley!

Smith had two 8 sack seasons. He had a sack and a safety in the playoff game vs the Packers. He had 8 & 10 tackles for loss in 2017 and 2017 and 21 QB hits in 2017 and 16 in 2018.

So, As much as fans think PSmith did nothing in a Redskins uniform, they're wrong.

No one expected Smith to be elite here. Smith was fine as a rotational guy. 

The reason we had "unrealistic" expectations for Orakpo is because he was billed/scouted as the next elite pass rusher, and he wasn't even the best pass rusher of his draft class. 

• Like 1