Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just watching a few GB games this season, most of Smith's sacks seem to come from being unblocked or beating a TE/RB with GB blitzing so frequently.  He's better than most of our fanbase gave him credit for, but he's also not as good as his stats suggest this season.

Are you sure about that? 

Sack 1 - Runs stunt up the middle with Z Smith filling in. Unblocked to the QB. 

Sack 2  - Beats RT but play was made by both Gary & Z Smith flushing Flacco. 

Sack 3 - Rip move against RT leading to sack. 

Sack 4 - Speed to bend against RT leading to sack. 

Sack 5 - Beats LT with speed and bend around the edge. 

Sack 6 - Delayed blitz with the OT picking up the interior blitzer. Came in with no blocker. 

Sack 7 - Beats OT off the line as play clock hits 0 with speed rush. 

Looks like there is a couple but for the most part he is doing work against the OTs. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just watching a few GB games this season, most of Smith's sacks seem to come from being unblocked or beating a TE/RB with GB blitzing so frequently.  He's better than most of our fanbase gave him credit for, but he's also not as good as his stats suggest this season.

Packers only blitz 21.0% of the time, 6th fewest in the league.

pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

Lol. My bad. Didn’t realize Packers fans were this invested in this thread or I would have done more fact-checking before posting. I did say in the “few games I watched”. It’s just based on what I’ve seen.  

In regards to the blitzing comment, maybe they’re just showing blitz so much that I think they blitz a lot more than they do.  Regardless, whatever they’re doing leads to a lot of unblocked pressures, which is a great opportunity for these guys to rack up a ton of stats.  Credit to Mike Pettine there.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Lol. My bad. Didn’t realize Packers fans were this invested in this thread or I would have done more fact-checking before posting. I did say in the “few games I watched”. It’s just based on what I’ve seen.  

In regards to the blitzing comment, maybe they’re just showing blitz so much that I think they blitz a lot more than they do.  Regardless, whatever they’re doing leads to a lot of unblocked pressures, which is a great opportunity for these guys to rack up a ton of stats.  Credit to Mike Pettine there.

I'm mostly interested because one likely pick if Preston Smith wasnt signed would have been Montez Sweat so the comparison is intriguing to me. 

The one thing the Packers do is they show alot of men on the line and standing up in pass rush scenarios. They usually only rush 4 or 5 out of that formation and drop the rest but I believe that leads to alot of unblocked looks.

9 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I'm mostly interested because one likely pick if Preston Smith wasnt signed would have been Montez Sweat so the comparison is intriguing to me. 

The one thing the Packers do is they show alot of men on the line and standing up in pass rush scenarios. They usually only rush 4 or 5 out of that formation and drop the rest but I believe that leads to alot of unblocked looks.

There is no comparison. One has been developing for five years while the other is just getting started. Preston struggled to get to the QB with a guy opposite him who got to the QB frequently. I’m happy for Preston and glad to see him developing into the player he is but unless you believe some arbitrary pass rush numbers he simply couldn’t get to the QB here. It just wasn’t happening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There is no comparison. One has been developing for five years while the other is just getting started. Preston struggled to get to the QB with a guy opposite him who got to the QB frequently. I’m happy for Preston and glad to see him developing into the player he is but unless you believe some arbitrary pass rush numbers he simply couldn’t get to the QB here. It just wasn’t happening. 

This.  Preston Smith was not a good player for the Redskins.  Maybe it was always motivation, because he would go weeks at a time where he would do absolutely nothing.  Hopefully playing for a team that actually wins games will keep him interested.  

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Preston Smith was not a good player for the Redskins. 

You and Lavar have been beating the same drum for the entire thread. And as time goes, the more it looks like not resigning Preston was a mistake. Preston was average with us, no more and no less. What you are both missing is that it is not always about production but about potential as well. There were factors involved that limited Preston's full potential here. Those factors look to be going away so it is not like you can make the argument that his play would remain stagnant here. Preston put up an 8 sack rookie season with us. He made big plays at big moments for us. Yes, he was inconsistent but he flashed for us as well.  So by not resigning Preston Smith the team ended up making a lateral move for two very high draft picks. That's not how you build a team.

4 minutes ago, taylor made said:

You and Lavar have been beating the same drum for the entire thread. And as time goes, the more it looks like not resigning Preston was a mistake. Preston was average with us, no more and no less. What you are both missing is that it is not always about production but about potential as well. There were factors involved that limited Preston's full potential here. Those factors look to be going away so it is not like you can make the argument that his play would remain stagnant here. Preston put up an 8 sack rookie season with us. He made big plays at big moments for us. Yes, he was inconsistent but he flashed for us as well.  So by not resigning Preston Smith the team ended up making a lateral move for two very high draft picks. That's not how you build a team.

Isn’t this basically what I said? He was average. 

27 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Not really

Might be an exaggeration to a degree but he wasn’t good here. I have no idea why we have to act like he was because he’s doing better in Green Bay? It would be like Giants fans lamenting Ereck Flowers because he’s played well here at LG. Doesn’t change the fact that he sucked for the Giants. 

• Like 1