Hoping We Struck GOLD With Rudolph... Steelers visiting 49ers : Week 3 GDT

steelcurtain29

This game was lost in the first half. Let's be honest. The team had a chance to be up 14 - 0 or 10 - 0. The offense couldn't get moving and again, the defense was out there a long time.  They kept SF in the game and allowed them to stay with their game-plan.  The Steelers offense made mistakes in the second half and the defense began to wear down and follow suit.  Big difference, our red zone turnovers and points off of turnovers: 6 points.  San Francisco's points off of turnovers 14 points. That is the ball game folks. The team has not played great, but really should be 2-1.  As someone posed earlier very much like last year with close losses and giving games away. 

The defense was not great, but played well enough to win, they didn't get help on offense consistently.  Again, self imposed gunshots with the  turnovers that led to points.  You gotta want it.  The 49'ers willed their way to a win, and we found another way to beat ourselves.  The offense has got to get it together and this football team has to learn to play as a complete team. 

Say what you want, Minkah Fitzpatrick is a very good player and pick for the Steelers.  We won't draft a better player than he is and he is a strong building block for the defense.  No guarantees with draft choices.  I hate losing a number one, but you have a very good player.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

This game was lost in the first half. Let's be honest. The team had a chance to be up 14 - 0 or 10 - 0. The offense couldn't get moving and again, the defense was out there a long time.  They kept SF in the game and allowed them to stay with their game-plan.  The Steelers offense made mistakes in the second half and the defense began to wear down and follow suit.  Big difference, our red zone turnovers and points off of turnovers: 6 points.  San Francisco's points off of turnovers 14 points. That is the ball game folks. The team has not played great, but really should be 2-1.  As someone posed earlier very much like last year with close losses and giving games away. 

The defense was not great, but played well enough to win, they didn't get help on offense consistently.  Again, self imposed gunshots with the  turnovers that led to points.  You gotta want it.  The 49'ers willed their way to a win, and we found another way to beat ourselves.  The offense has got to get it together and this football team has to learn to play as a complete team. 

Say what you want, Minkah Fitzpatrick is a very good player and pick for the Steelers.  We won't draft a better player than he is and he is a strong building block for the defense.  No guarantees with draft choices.  I hate losing a number one, but you have a very good player.

The way they continue to shoot themselves in the foot is so incredibly frustrating. It's been this way for a while now unfortunately.

Minkah Fitzpatrick and the entire defense played well today. Idk what the hell was going on with the playcalling on offense but when you get 5 extra turnovers that should be no less than 15 free points, hopefully closer to 35. Rudolph was over throwing people any time he did throw deep. Xavier Grimble has no business on the field. Fichtner is a terrible OC.

19 minutes ago, Money said:

It's not Ben's team anymore. 

yes it is, as long as he , colbert and tomlin are here , it's his team.

19 minutes ago, Money said:

It would probably be like Ben rookie year.

what about a top 3 D legit in all phases ? remember that was the norm here forever

18 minutes ago, Money said:

Go back to your roots and you shall have success. 

I don't see bens OC doing that. This year is to prove that they still need ben by the looks of this OC play calling. Sadly I think Maso could do quite well if the OC was decent and the OL would run block

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Interesting:

Statistically speaking individually Mason Rudolph had a better first start than Ben Roethlisberger.

that was obvious to the eye too, ben wasn't near what he was capable of , but the OC never helped either.  They need to fire him but since ben handpicked him, he stays and the team might end up with 5 wins.  A good coach could get this team into the post season with a legit rushing attack and better play calling. This team will sink mostly on coaching, but there is some talent lacking no doubt.  The OL isn't playing near their hype when it is run blocking. I am tired of the media hyping this unit as they aren't near as good as they were last year (munchak anyone?) 

25 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

So 1 game was enough to decide Mason can never be a quality starter?  1 game?  With terrible play calling?  With no Run game?  Against a solid Defense?

mason isn't the problem, it's actually all the others you mentioned.  OC is the worst they have had IMO. 

It would be unpopular, but I would make a statement with Connor and start Samuels and give Snell run over him early next week. 

I wouldn’t bench him, but I wouldn't start him. I think he is a far better player, but his lack of concentration on fumbles late in the game are a problem. The fumble against the Browns, the Broncos, and now the 49ers are huge reasons why we didn’t win games. 

Obviously wasn’t the only issue today, but lack of awareness or just being lazy with the football drives me crazy. You wanna be a closer, you can’t lose the football at the rate that he does  

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

It would be unpopular, but I would make a statement with Connor and start Samuels and give Snell run over him early next week. 

I wouldn’t bench him, but I wouldn't start him. I think he is a far better player, but his lack of concentration on fumbles late in the game are a problem. The fumble against the Browns, the Broncos, and now the 49ers are huge reasons why we didn’t win games. 

Obviously wasn’t the only issue today, but lack of awareness or just being lazy with the football drives me crazy. You wanna be a closer, you can’t lose the football at the rate that he does  

I noticed something watching some of his carries where that's happened:

Conner, like Bell, is a left handed carrier of the ball.  His 'critical' fumbles have be held in the left hand running to his right from the sidecar location.  I think that's (1st) a coordinator issue to not realize that Conner's preferred carry arm is his left and running to the right like that puts it in the upfield arm.  And (2nd) that's a running backs coach problem to not get him to run two handed.  Finally (3rd) that's a Conner problem to not two hand when he sees no holes open. 

EDIT: 

Watched it one more time from reverse angle and it's in his right hand and low and lose not high and tight.  He needs Tiki in his life.

Edited by warfelg