BDL 2019 Week 3 - New Orleans Jazz @ Williamsport Soul Reavers

Whicker

New Orleans Jazz @ Williamsport Soul Reavers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Williamsport Soul Reavers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2019 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2019 Week 3

Match:  New Orleans Jazz @ Williamsport Soul Reavers

Away Owner: @WFLukic

Home Owner:  @wwhickok

Vote for who you think will win this game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

QB: Josh Allen
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
WR1: Michael Thomas
WR2: Tyler Lockett
WR3: Sammy Watkins
TE: Zach Ertz
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joel Bitonio
C: Travis Frederick
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Riley Reiff

RB2: Duke Johnson
RB3: Nyheim Hines
WR4: Deebo Samuel
WR5: Paul Richardson
WR6: Parris Campbell
OL6: Bobby Massie
OL7: Justin Pugh
OL8: Connor McGovern

Defense:

DE: Calais Campbell
NT: Marcell Darius
DE: Geno Atkins
Edge: Nick Bosa
Edge: Josh Allen
LB: Danny Trevathan
CB: Stephon Gilmore
CB: Kyle Fuller
CB: Chris Harris Jr.
SS: Micah Hyde
FS: Darnell Savage

DT3: David Onyemata
DT4: Sheldon Richardson
DE3: Olivier Vernon
LB3: Denzel Perryman
LB4/S3: Tony Jefferson
S4: Haha Clinton-Dix
CB4: Justin Coleman
CB5: JC Jackson

Williamsport Soul Reavers

QB: Dak Prescott
RB: LeSean McCoy
WR1: John Brown
WR2: Calvin Ridley
Slot WR: Randall Cobb
TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: Charles Leno
LG: Cody Whitehair
C: Mitch Morse
RG: John Miller
RT: Dion Dawkins

Reserve:
RB James White *INACTIVE*
WR Miles Boykin
WR: Philip Dorsett
TE: Dallas Goedert
TE: Maxx Williams
LT: Donovon Smith
G/C: BJ Finney
OL: Cody Ford

Defense:
(3-4 look)

LE: Davon Godchaux
NT: DJ Reader
RE: Michael Bennett
LOLB: Shaq Barrett
LILB: Myles Jack
RILB: Devin Bush
ROLB: Anthony Barr *INACTIVE*
CB: Steven Nelson
CB: Byron Jones
FS: Ricardo Allen
SS: Von Bell

Reserves:
DE John Simon
DT: Justin Jones
LB: Brian Burns
LB: Darron Lee
CB: Donte Jackson
CB: Carlton Davis
CB: Vernon Hargreaves
S: Marquise Blair

Edited by Whicker

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

For the most part, we’re going to keep things simple this week and stick with what’s becoming a staple our offense and that is:

1.       Getting the ball into Zeke’s hands early and often;

2.       Utilising play action and getting Allen rolling out, throwing on the run or scrambling; and

3.       Looking for Watkins and Lockett deep to stretch the field and open things up underneath.

In terms of the running game, while we’ve suffered a blow with Singletary being ruled out, we’re happy to feed Elliott more and around 25-30 carries this game permitting we’re in a position to do so, as well as possibly some screens and tosses in the backfield. For the most part we’ll be running behind our formidable trio of Bitonio, Frederick and Zeitler right up the guts of the WSR interior and in particular at Michael Bennett as we look to isolate him with the running game and limit his effectiveness as a pass-rusher.

As usual, Duke Johnson will coming in on certain passing downs and operate as our change of pace with Hines having a lesser role and largely serving as an emergency back more than anything.

Again, with the passing game we don’t want to get too cute and we plan on just sticking with what we know we’re good at – Allen being able to extend plays and bomb it deep with his huge arm and Lockett and Watkins grabbing those passes.

Firstly, we know that WSR will be playing with fire if they don’t want to commit both safeties back as it will mean either Lockett or Watkins will be 1v1 deep. If either draws on single coverage deep, the plan is for Allen to launch it towards them and aim to draw DPIs or hit for huge gains.

Assuming WSR’s safeties begin to creep back, our next plan is to utilise Thomas more out of the slot and on crossing routes to take advantage of a thinner middle of the field. We intend to have WSR committed both at the LOS, which they’ll need to be given the strength of our OL if they want to stop Zeke, but also deep to prevent the deep ball from killing them. Thus, it should leave some vulnerability in the intermediate level and that’s where Ertz and Thomas will do the most of their work.

Also, while I did mention that any 1v1 for Lockett or Watkins will be an indicator for Allen to target them, if Byron Jones is tasked with either of them, it means that Michael Thomas will be getting covered by Donte Jackson, Steven Nelson or Vernon Hargreaves. As each of them are 5’10 and Thomas is 6’3, there’s a pretty substantial physical mismatch there and thus the focus will shift from going deep into Jones’ coverage to instead looking to hit Thomas.

Lastly, we intend to use Allen as a runner on designed run plays quite often once again. As with last week, the QB draw is going to be a feature of our attack as WSR’s base 3-4 D with a wide outside edge rush will leave them susceptible to the diagonal gaps from and overpursuing edge and a well contained 3/5-tech. Thus, Allen should be able to take advantage of this and also the gaping holes in the intermediate level of the D to grind out first downs and keep the clock and chains moving.

Defense:

Firstly, in terms of coverage assignments, they will play out as follows:

Kyle Fuller – John Brown
Stephon Gilmore – Calvin Ridley
Chris Harris Jr. – Randall Cobb
Danny Trevathan – Jimmy Graham
Micah Hyde - RB

As with our offense, we don’t want to get particularly cute and want to stick to our guns. This is trusting our secondary to get the job done and trusting our defensive line to clamp down on the run and get after the QB.

We’ve gone heavier in our base 3-4 with Dareus in to help clamp down the run. We know that our front 5 will basically erase any semblance of a running game that WSR has and as a result, we’ll force them into throwing the ball to try and beat us.

While it may seem counterintuitive to try and get a QB who’s looking incredible of late to beat us, it is also worth nothing that Prescott’s BDL supporting cast isn’t up to the standard of his IRL one and there’s every possibility that he’ll struggle in the face of constant pressure.

On passing downs, we plan on having Dareus sub out for 2 players, firstly Vernon where we’ll rush 5 with Allen working as a LEO of sorts, lining up all over to get at the passer. Alternatively, Dareus will sub out for Clinton-Dix and we’ll run a 3 safety look with Hyde and Clinton Dix patrolling the short-intermediate and LOS while Savage works as our single deep.

Williamsport Soul Reavers

Offensive Gameplan

I am.0-2; what does this mean? I have nothing to lose at this point.

Dak is on one helluva hot streak. In this game we are going to mix it up between 4 Wide and 2 TE formations. We will sprinkle in PA, and 3 WR formations.

Our pass/run ratio for this game will be 75/25.

I am betting that once again the Jazz will sell out against the pass. I am banking on it and still going to launch that mother [explicit wording] football into their secondary.

Tony Jefferson cant cover ****. We are going to throw over him early and often.

In 2 TE sets we are going to split Graham out wide and make Jazz decide between putting Trevathan on a TE or cheating a Safety down where, if the do, we are rolling out the play action and going deep to Brown/Ridley.

We will use the running game to the outside to stretch out the defense and run some passing to James White and LeSean McCoy to the outside. We will occassionally run inside but not often, we will let the strength of their DL wear themselves out for nothing all night.

The opposing LB Corps honestly, is okay at best.

Because I anticipate the goal of the opposition is going to be to shut down our WRs deep, I am going to make them pay for it by using Randall Cobb and both of my TEs to attack the middle of the field, take what they give us and make them pay for it.

Defensive Gameplan

We are going to run less 4-3 this week because of my priority to gap control. Because of the threat of their Running game we are also going to run a lower % of 5-6 DB formations. They'll still be there in obvious passing situations occassionally but priority # 1 is limiting Elliot and Duke Johnson considerably.

Pass run /defense ratio: 55/45

They'll most likely run at either Godcheaux or In the middle against our 3 man line.

DJ Reader will be asked to take on the Center and one of the guards. We believe in his ability to do so. This allows Bennett and Godcheaux to take on the tackles (B Gaps) and leaves just one G for the LBs to need to deal with.

Myles Jack and Devin Bush will take care of the A Gaps to each side of Reader.

Anthony Barr and Shaq Barrett will provide outside contain.

They're gonna try to work Allen into their gameplan often as well. When he runs, I want him to regret it. I want my LBs to 'shadow' the ball carrier more than over pursue, when they engage it needs to be with purpose and sound tackling.

I'm telling my guys that if the Jazz players arent bleeding when they get up, we arent hitting them hard enough. This is also where the zone attack comes in, because if Allen runs, our CBs, in theory, will see it and be able to react.

In the first half Corners will be playing man coverage in this game about 35% of the time. The other 65% a Cover 2 based Zone

My Safeties will maintain reasonable depth. I do not want them cheating up at all. If the opposing running game is working and our Safeties cheat up, that's a recipe for the deep ball.

Byron Jones has 1 job this game, shut down his ENTIRE side of the field, no one comes up with a catch on his side of field, at all costs.

If I consistently have my LBs crossing, obviously the opposing offense will get comfortable and adjust to it.

The idea of my gameplan tonight is containment, isolation, pain, lots and lots of pain delivered to the opposing team.

We believe we have the tools to out last them in a dog fight. Especially at Quarterback.

@wwhickok lineup tip. Having 3 OL backups is fairly useless in BDL. You can put one or two in case of an injury, but here what's Cody Ford going to do for you this week? On the other end, you have only 1 valid RB. Now James White absence was totally unforeseeable as he skipped a game because he had a baby, you couldn't know that. But McCoy was questionnable so there was a risk for him. I'd avise you to put a 3rd RB in those cases, even if you're not going to use him.

So ww your gameplan is much more readable than last week. Some noted for you to improve :

As I said carrying 2 RBs is very dangerous especially when one is questionable

I'm missing who is leaving the field in nickle. I'm assuming Reader or Godchaux but I'm not sure that's the case 

I'm assuming you have no additional protection planned since none of it is written. 

I'm assuming you do not intend to blitz since none of it is written

I'll vote later on this game. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

So ww your gameplan is much more readable than last week. Some noted for you to improve :

As I said carrying 2 RBs is very dangerous especially when one is questionable

I'm missing who is leaving the field in nickle. I'm assuming Reader or Godchaux but I'm not sure that's the case 

I'm assuming you have no additional protection planned since none of it is written. 

I'm assuming you do not intend to blitz since none of it is written

I'll vote later on this game. 

I am blitzing its really all part of my gap assignments but I was trying to simplify my GP

Went with the Jazz in this one. Without White or a 3RB valid, WSR plan to attack NO LBs becomes quickly limited to Jimmy Graham or a gassed McCoy. And while I think Graham has a nice 100yd game, I think the rest of Dak options are well guarded and I don't see a ton of consistency happening on that offense. Other side, I think cover 2 zone is a decent look vs Josh Allen and co and I don't see them scoring a ton of points against a solid defense (one of the surprises of the year so far for me has been WSR pass rush, Barrett and Bruns have looked good so far). But, even with Allen accuracy issues (though it's been much better this year), Ertz and Thomas against zone defense are good weapons and, no matter against who they're playing, Zeke will get some yards running behind that OL.

Low scoring affair, NO prevails 23-13

I'm a bit surprised at just how much I like this WSR defense.  One or two more guys and it will be a full-on force.  Unfortunately, their lack of depth hurts them here.  I don't know if I trust their DL depth to hold up and Shady will be absolutely wiped out by halftime.  But they do limit Josh Allen more than NO expects.

Unfortunately for WSR, I think they gas out a bit in the fourth and let NO get the tough win.

Side note for wwhickok, if you are almost certain that the opponent will run mostly a 3 WR set, go ahead and give us your nickel line up just to make it easier.  Also, I'm not sure who is going to cover who in man.  Even if it's just saying LCB and RCB.  But I'm impressed at how quickly you are picking this up and how well you've been doing.  It can be a lot.  You've been a great addition.  

• Like 2