Is Aaron Rodgers still good as a pre-snap QB?

AlexGreen#20

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Going from right to left:

Allison is going to block the safety. That's very standard. The idea is that the CB should be going with him and taking himself out of the play.

It's an outside zone play. Lewis is trying to seal Miller inside. Miller goes inside. Perfect. He's out of the play or at least should be. 

Tonyan goes to block Jewell. Jewell has a great jump on this play and beats him there. No TE in the league is going to beat an ILB to that spot with the jump Jewell got on this. That's the problem with being predictable. The LBs get a great jump. 

Bulaga has no one to block. The backside ILB got picked up by Linsley. His options are to help one of Linsley or Turner. He had no primary blocker. In the zone schemes, sometimes you just step for the sake of keeping the line motion.

++++

None of this is relevant because. . . WHY ARE YOU NOT RUNNING ON THAT FIRST LOOK?

Lewis needs to make sure that Miller is blocked.  He released inside and still gets in the play.  It is Von Miller.  He is good at football.  Lewis stays on him and that allows the potential for a cut up there.  Tonyan needs to ride 47 outside if that is where he wants to go. Tonyan pauses a fraction on Miller and turns his head.  That allows 47 to get outside of him.  Fine, drive him outside and let the RB make the decision to cut it up.  Bulaga takes the 1 step outside but does not go upfield after 47.  

If you run on the first look, who is getting outside of Miller?   I can only assume that Tonyan should just seal him outside on that type of play and have Jones cut up inside of him.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not ranting like it cost us the game. My posts when Rodgers costs us the game are 18 gifs long and I get yelled at for posting threads that slow down the site. 

This was just an inexplicable play that's seriously problematic. 

Ok .. when Rodgers loses us a game on a play like that cuz he didn't see it right you sure can let me know.

4 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Starts out as 4 vs. 3 to the right of the center. The shift causes it to be 5 vs. 6. 

The shift was a bad call.

It's kind of a mute point though IMO as I/we have no idea if that's built into the play or if it's optional and Rodgers is calling for the shift or if Rodgers has the option to cancel the shift.

🤷

Pre-Shift: DT, DE, ILB, S vs OG, OT, TE

Post-Shift: DT, DE, ILB, S, S vs OG, OT, TE, TE

The shift added another TE vs S match-up to the action side. Either way, you either expect Allison to block the unoccupied safety or have Jones beat him.

Just now, squire12 said:

Lewis needs to make sure that Miller is blocked.  He released inside and still gets in the play.  It is Von Miller.  He is good at football.  Lewis stays on him and that allows the potential for a cut up there.  Tonyan needs to ride 47 outside if that is where he wants to go. Tonyan pauses a fraction on Miller and turns his head.  That allows 47 to get outside of him.  Fine, drive him outside and let the RB make the decision to cut it up.  Bulaga takes the 1 step outside but does not go upfield after 47.  

If you run on the first look, who is getting outside of Miller?   I can only assume that Tonyan should just seal him outside on that type of play and have Jones cut up inside of him.

Miller was out of the play until Jewell blew it up. 

Tonyan should ride Jewell outside, but that's a difficult ask when Jewell gets a great jump on it because he read the play.

Bulaga has nobody to block.

The nice thing about the first look is, even if Tonyan gets beat inside, Jones should still be able to get outside, where there is no other containment. All Tonyan has to do is not get utterly humiliated. Force Miller to pick a hole and let Jones read off it. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not ranting like it cost us the game. My posts when Rodgers costs us the game are 18 gifs long and I get yelled at for posting threads that slow down the site. 

This was just an inexplicable play that's seriously problematic. 

Is it seriously problematic, or is it just a play that Denver recognized and thus reacted to the shift better than they might have? 

Sometimes your going to have some bad play calls.

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It's actually Malik Reed (59) not Von Miller (58) :(

So even worse execution for us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Pre-Shift: DT, DE, ILB, S vs OG, OT, TE

Post-Shift: DT, DE, ILB, S, S vs OG, OT, TE, TE

The shift added another TE vs S match-up to the action side. Either way, you either expect Allison to block the unoccupied safety or have Jones beat him.

DT, DE, ILB in an advantages position vs OG, OT, TE

DT, DE, ILB, in a disadvantages position, ILB in an advantageous position (note that #51 moves maybe half a step), S vs. OG, OT, TE, TE

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I guess I'm not sure how that reflects negatively on Rodgers pre-snap read here

Because we shouldn't have ever shifted in the first place. It should have been recognized and run to the right immediately before any motion occurred. You are never going to get a sweeter run look on 1st and 10 in the first quarter than right there.

The blocking is entirely irrelevant to the thesis. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because we shouldn't have ever shifted in the first place. It should have been recognized and run to the right immediately before any motion occurred. You are never going to get a sweeter run look on 1st and 10 in the first quarter than right there.

The blocking is entirely irrelevant to the thesis. 

How do you know Rodgers called for the motion?