Week 5 Games

Leader

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

@TheOnlyThing, guess who has a sack in every single game this season, including tonight.

No one ever said Clay was no longer capable of getting leftover sacks generated by the likes of Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Dante Fowler et al

I mean running wildly towards the QB without even pretending to try to contain the edge or win a 1 on 1 matchup with a functional Tackle has been Clay's forte for years now.

And after the Rams opponents just scored 85 points in 2 games over 4 days (some of those are due to TOs) it sure seems like Clay's presence on the LA D has been nearly as impactful as it was in GB in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

Now, guess which outside linebacker the Packers paid over $10M a year for each year between 2015-2018 and in return got 6.5 sacks in 2015, 5 sacks in 2016, 7.5 sacks in 2017, and just 3.5 sacks in 2018 -- all while the player was playing crappy run D? 

• Like 1

I need:

*Washington to pull the biggest upset in the history of upsets.
*The Jaguars to beat the Panthers (so I can laugh at how a 6th round rookie is playing better than Goff, who just got 76 billion dollars)
*The Cardinals to beat the Bengals (So the Cardinals don't get another top 5 pick and they're in our conference, even though I think they're still a QB and a coach away from being competitive)
*The Texans to beat the Falcons (So I can laugh about the way the Falcons draft how everybody here (hyperbole) wants us to draft, and also so that there's one less good team in the NFC)
*The Buccaneers to beat the Saints (so there aren't any powerhouse teams in the NFC with huge leads on the first round byes)
*The Giants to beat the Vikings so I can CONTINUE laughing at how Vikings fans were so sure I was an idiot for saying it was a terrible, terrible, terrible mistake to sign Cousins and that I was right all along and that not only is Cousins a terrible QB, but that spending all that money and investing all those resources (a ****ing CENTER in the first round LOL OMG) was a surefire way to slowly lose that defense since they don't continue to supplement it and they're getting older.  Griffen turns 32 in December and is a free agent.  Linval Joseph turns 31 in 4 days.  Traey Waynes is a free agent.  Harrison Smith turns 31 in February.  Rhodes will be 30 by the start of next season.  Anthony Harris is a free agent.  Mackensie Alexander is a free agent.  And they are 8 million dollars OVER next year's cap. 
*I need the Raiders to beat the Bears so that we stay ahead of the Bears for the division race. 
*I need the Jets to upset the Eagles since the Eagles have a frickin tiebreaker over us all because

****ING @CWood21 IS A COMMUNIST PACKER HATER WHO HATES THE PACKERS LEAVING US WITH FRICKIN @Packerraymond AS THE BEST PACKER MODERATOR BY DEFAULT

• Like 1

*The Jaguars to beat the Panthers (so I can laugh at how a 6th round rookie is playing better than Goff, who just got 76 billion dollars)

lol

****ING @CWood21 IS A COMMUNIST PACKER HATER WHO HATES THE PACKERS LEAVING US WITH FRICKIN @Packerraymond AS THE BEST PACKER MODERATOR BY DEFAULT

was this really necessary?

On 10/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, Outpost31 said:

@TheOnlyThing, guess who has a sack in every single game this season, including tonight.

Sooooooo, you wanted Matthews back, Cobb, back, Perry back.............................. where is all this money coming from to keep these guys? Guys who are clearly past their prime. 

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Sooooooo, you wanted Matthews back, Cobb, back, Perry back.............................. where is all this money coming from to keep these guys? Guys who are clearly past their prime. 

I never said I wanted Cobb back, I said Perry is better depth than someone like Reggie Gilbert or Tim Williams, and this isn’t about wanting them back.  I take issue with Packer fans hating so much on ex Packers.  It is clear that Matthews is still effective when he’s asked to do what he’s strong at rather than what he’s weak at.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I never said I wanted Cobb back, I said Perry is better depth than someone like Reggie Gilbert or Tim Williams, and this isn’t about wanting them back.  I take issue with Packer fans hating so much on ex Packers.  It is clear that Matthews is still effective when he’s asked to do what he’s strong at rather than what he’s weak at.

You didn't answer the question. Where is the money coming from? 

I don't hate any of them, but think the days of loyalty by an organization or to an organization are long since past. IMO, those three players were on the downside of their careers and we needed to upgrade. While we may not have upgraded Cobbs position, we were able to use that money on more defensive help. 

If Perry were better depth than anybody he'd be getting an offer. I've not heard where he has even been contacted at this point. Matthews is having a Kyler Fackrell type of year and he's clearly benefited from not being the focal point of offenses as the #1 pass rush option. 

I think this gets to where sometimes Packer fans are unrealistic about how much money we have to spend. You can't fill every position. Sometimes really tough decisions have to be made and fan favorites like Matthews and Cobb have to go. I wish them both the best, except when we play them. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I don't hate any of them, but think the days of loyalty by an organization or to an organization are long since past. IMO, those three players were on the downside of their careers and we needed to upgrade. While we may not have upgraded Cobbs position, we were able to use that money on more defensive help. 

If Perry were better depth than anybody he'd be getting an offer. I've not heard where he has even been contacted at this point. Matthews is having a Kyler Fackrell type of year and he's clearly benefited from not being the focal point of offenses as the #1 pass rush option. 

I think this gets to where sometimes Packer fans are unrealistic about how much money we have to spend. You can't fill every position. Sometimes really tough decisions have to be made and fan favorites like Matthews and Cobb have to go. I wish them both the best, except when we play them. 

Did you miss the point where I never said anything about keeping them and that this is about hating on ex Packers?

Perry doesn’t have an offer because he’s got serious injury concerns or effort concerns.  I didn’t want to re-sign him on his last deal and I didn’t want us to re-sign him now, I just happen to be capable of acknowledging that he’s better than Gilbert/Williams/waiver claims.  

Did you miss the point where I never said anything about keeping them and that this is about hating on ex Packers?

Perry doesn’t have an offer because he’s got serious injury concerns or effort concerns.  I didn’t want to re-sign him on his last deal and I didn’t want us to re-sign him now, I just happen to be capable of acknowledging that he’s better than Gilbert/Williams/waiver claims.  

If either of those are true he clearly is not a better option that what we have. We got a draft pick for Gilbert and you haven't seen a down from Williams on this team. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

If either of those are true he clearly is not a better option that what we have. We got a draft pick for Gilbert and you haven't seen a down from Williams on this team. 

Nick Perry healthy and in a contract year got us ten sacks and a monster post season.  If the motivation is there, yes, Perry is better than Gilbert.  Lol

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Matthews may have been getting coverage sacks, but there were also pressure numbers to back up the sack production that Fackrell didn't have last year.

We also could easily have retained one of Cobb/Matthews on the deals they signed this off-season. I'm not sure either one is a good deal on those contracts, but as a guy who is probably an upgrade over Godson at ILB and might be able to offer some juice in the pressure package, lamenting his loss isn't a terrible reaction.

Nick Perry healthy and in a contract year got us ten sacks and a monster post season.  If the motivation is there, yes, Perry is better than Gilbert.  Lol

Gilbert's not even on the team and Perry's collecting checks while sitting on a beach somewhere - so I dont see the point.

I dont think folks are "hating on ex-Packers" - some simply thought it was time to move on.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I dont think folks are "hating on ex-Packers" - some simply thought it was time to move on.

There’s a distinct difference between thinking it’s time to move on (everybody knew Matthews could not be an effective EDGE for us) and calling him a bum stealing money, which is what a lot of people did, which is why I brought it up.

They act like these people are animals or machines or somehow bad humans.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Matthews may have been getting coverage sacks, but there were also pressure numbers to back up the sack production that Fackrell didn't have last year.

We also could easily have retained one of Cobb/Matthews on the deals they signed this off-season. I'm not sure either one is a good deal on those contracts, but as a guy who is probably an upgrade over Godson at ILB and might be able to offer some juice in the pressure package, lamenting his loss isn't a terrible reaction.

It's not his loss, it's every time an Ex-Packer does something he has to post about it. Now, you make a great point about him inside, except we were counting on Burks in that role and he's hurt. As for being able to afford. We could have gotten one of them under our cap this year. That money comes out of our ability to extend guys we may want to keep in Martinez, Bulaga, Clark. 

You can't spend it twice. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

There’s a distinct difference between thinking it’s time to move on (everybody knew Matthews could not be an effective EDGE for us) and calling him a bum stealing money, which is what a lot of people did, which is why I brought it up. They act like these people are animals or machines or somehow bad humans.

Okay. I dont agree necessarily, but point taken and its not worth hassling over anymore. Time for that was pre-release.