Hot Boyz

textaz03

Lbs have been subpar, but a lot of that starts at the line. Big holes are opening up allowing rb’s to basically be shot out of a cannon which makes playing LB difficult. To combat that I feel like lb’ers are thing to ‘guess or cheat’ a bit which is putting them in a lot of bad spots. 

Have said that though lVE and smith were great last year, but they are still young and don’t yet the ability to diagnose plays at an elite level and they have been getting exposed. 

We are literally the dead median in the NFL in terms of sacks so far in 2019. In 2018 we were... you guessed it!... the dead median in sacks in the NFL. We had 39 sacks last year and are on pace this year for... you'll never believe it!... 38.4 sacks this year.

So I think the idea that our pass rush is a) a total disaster or b) significantly worse than last year, is not really grounded in reality.

Also, on another note, the Hot Boyz nickname will never die. It is so lame, it has circled around and become amazing. And Taco took it *so* seriously, which makes it even more perfect.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We are literally the dead median in the NFL in terms of sacks so far in 2019. In 2018 we were... you guessed it!... the dead median in sacks in the NFL. We had 39 sacks last year and are on pace this year for... you'll never believe it!... 38.4 sacks this year.

So I think the idea that our pass rush is a) a total disaster or b) significantly worse than last year, is not really grounded in reality.

Also, on another note, the Hot Boyz nickname will never die. It is so lame, it has circled around and become amazing. And Taco took it *so* seriously, which makes it even more perfect.

Can't be changed to Hot Garbage?  

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It stems from expectations. We gave DLaw a fat contract in the off season. We traded a pick for Robert Quinn. We drafted a DT that was billed as one of two or three true under tackles in the draft. After a strong preseason showing, some thought the light had come on for Taco. Many thought Randy Gregory would be back by now, as some(SJ) hinted he would.

So being on pace for slightly worse than last year is a disappointment.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

I still think our biggest problem is stopping the run; not the pass rush. In fact, I think our biggest problem with our pass rush is our inability to stop the run. As DLaw puts it, you don't earn the right to rush the passer until you stop the run.

“I think it starts with understanding our fits and making our hits,” he said. “The main thing is stopping the run, and that’s the main thing. You stop the run, then you earn the right to rush the passer.”

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/how-can-the-cowboys-improve-their-run-defense

Edited by DaBoys

14th in rushing yards allowed

13th in rushing yards per attempt 

Not so bad

2nd most rushing TDs allowed

9th most rushing first downs allowed 

Not so good

Add in the fact that our first 3 games were against DII schools and it makes you wonder if we will keep falling down these charts.

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

It stems from expectations. We gave DLaw a fat contract in the off season. We traded a pick for Robert Quinn. We drafted a DT that was billed as one of two or three true under tackles in the draft. After a strong preseason showing, some thought the light had come on for Taco. Many thought Randy Gregory would be back by now, as some(SJ) hinted he would.

So being on pace for slightly worse than last year is a disappointment.

• You expected D-Law to be better this year coming off of shoulder surgery?
  • We did trade for Quinn, and he's been a stud
  • Hill and Taco were week 1 inactives, so I think expecting they'd be difference makers over the first 5 weeks was unrealistic from the outset.
  • I mean, yeah, it would be nice to have Gregory. But we don't. And we are still on pace for the same # of sacks even though that hasn't gone our way. 

They were an average pass rushing DL last year, and realistic expectations would be they'd be somewhat similar this year. I'm not really sure why anyone thought they would jump into an elite tier this year.

16 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
  • You expected D-Law to be better this year coming off of shoulder surgery?

He played the last two seasons with a torn labrum. He said it hindered him. Getting it fixed should help him. That's the purpose of the surgery. His biggest problem is getting double team

•  
  • We did trade for Quinn, and he's been a stud

Agreed. He also missed two games. So that was disappointing.

•  
  • Hill and Taco were week 1 inactives, so I think expecting they'd be difference makers over the first 5 weeks was unrealistic from the outset.

The onset was before preseason. So no, it wasn't unrealistic to expect our first pick to make an impact. It wasn't unrealistic to expect Taco to take on an enhanced role with Gregory out. Hindsight 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I still think our biggest problem is stopping the run; not the pass rush. In fact, I think our biggest problem with our pass rush is our inability to stop the run. As DLaw puts it, you don't earn the right to rush the passer until you stop the run.

“I think it starts with understanding our fits and making our hits,” he said. “The main thing is stopping the run, and that’s the main thing. You stop the run, then you earn the right to rush the passer.”

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/how-can-the-cowboys-improve-their-run-defense

nah... everyone knows the run game does NOT matter.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, DaBoys said:

He played the last two seasons with a torn labrum. He said it hindered him. Getting it fixed should help him. That's the purpose of the surgery. His biggest problem is getting double team

Agreed. He also missed two games. So that was disappointing.

The onset was before preseason. So no, it wasn't unrealistic to expect our first pick to make an impact. It wasn't unrealistic to expect Taco to take on an enhanced role with Gregory out. Hindsight 

Agree to disagree, I guess. The OP called our pass rush “hot garbage” and asked if last year was a fluke.

We are basically the same in terms of production. And if you expected some massive transformation from average to dominant, I don’t know what to tell you.

If your argument is, “I wish the DL had progressed a little more than they have”, well, ok, I agree. But that was not the melodramatic premise to this thread.

• Like 1