Just some Data for the Sake of Data.....

vegas492

I really don't have much to conclude from this, but I was bored and thought I'd look a few things up.  Tell me what conclusions you can make, please.

I did a little digging on Pro Football Focus and Pro Football Reference. 

Clay Matthews.

• PFF high score of 84.3 in 2011.  
  • 2017 was 80.  
  • 2018 was 65.3.  
  • 2019 is 61.2.  He is the #70 ranked EDGE defender.

2019 PFF.  

• Pass Rush= 69.8  
  • Run= 68.2  
  • Coverage=28.5

Snaps.  219.  63.8% of defensive snaps.  

• 100 pass rush snaps.  
  • 92 run snaps.  
  • 27 coverage snaps.

For Comparison....Dante Fowler has a score of 79.9, currently #17 on the PFF Edge list.

Pro Football Reference credits Clay with 13 pressures in 2019, logging 6 sacks.

2018 had him with 21 pressures, logging 3.5 sacks.

Preston Smith.

PFF score of 75.8, which is #24 on their EDGE defender list.

2019 PFF.  

• Pass Rush= 81.5  
  • Run=60.7  
  • Coverage= 59.5

Snaps.  296.  86.6% of the defensive snaps.  

• 141 pass rush snaps.  
  • 104 run snaps.
  •  51 coverage snaps.

Pro Football Reference credits Preston with 15 pressures in 2019, logging 5.5 sacks.

Z'Darius Smith.

PFF score of 71.2, which is #36 on their EDGE defender list.

2019 PFF.  

• Pass Rush= 76.4  
  • Run= 61.7  
  • Coverage= 59.5

Snaps.  278.  81.4% of the defensive snaps.  

• 176 pass rush snaps.  
  • 100 run snaps.  
  • 2 coverage snaps.

Pro Football Reference credits Z'Darius with 17 pressures in 2019, logging 5.5 sacks.

Kyler Fackrell.

PFF score of 69.5 in 2018.  

He played 59% of the snaps in 2018, logging 18 pressures and 10.5 sacks.  You can see how amazingly high his sack per pressure rate was in 2018.  Simply put, that is not sustainable.

53.9 PFF score in 2019.  

• Pass Rush= 65.3  
  • Run= 43.7  
  • Coverage= 50.1

108 snaps, 31.2% of the defensive snaps.  

• 58 pass snaps.  
  • 29 run snaps.  
  • 21 coverage snaps.

5 pressures in 2019, logging 0 sacks.  One pressure/game is pretty similar to what he had in 2018.  Only this year he is doing it on far fewer snaps.  Kind of like what I thought could happen.  He would be solid, maybe even better than last year, but unable to generate stats like he did last year.  Which doesn't mean he is playing worse.  It just shows what an outlier last year was for him.

Kenny Clark.

Dude is amazing to look at.  

PFF scores.  

• 2016=74.5.  
  • 2017= 87.8.  
  • 2018- 90.5.  
  • 2019= 71.1.  Ranked #47 in PFF (after being #2 after week 2)
    • Pass rush= 80.1.  
    • Run= 64.8.  
    • Coverage= 60.2

Snaps are 289.  85.5% of defensive snaps.  

• Run snaps= 113.  
  • Rush snaps= 175.  
  • Coverage snaps= 1.

Pro Football Reference credits him with 15 pressures and 6 sacks in 2018.  

• 4 pressures and 1.5 sacks in 2019.

Looks like Kenny is about 58 snaps/game.

Donald is 60 snaps.

Suh is 53 snaps.

Joseph is 45 snaps.

Jarrett is 50 snaps.

Cox is 47 snaps.

Looks like this is the worst Kenny we've seen, since ever.  But I'm not sure this tells the whole story.  Those really good years, including last year, had Daniels next to him.  Regardless of his health or how well he was playing, Daniels was someone the other team needed to account for.  To me, that is something worth noting.

This data tell you anything, besides Vegas having too much time on his hands?  And...if you would like this done for anyone else, please let me know.  

Bit of a tangent but last year pettine was forcing Martinez into blitzes.  I've almost never seen that this year.

The biggest weakness on this planned defense is the Lowry/Lancaster snaps.  if there was a 3T who could hunt I think this D is unstoppable from a pass rush perspective.

Signing Mo Wilkerson still makes sense to me if he's healthy.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Bit of a tangent but last year pettine was forcing Martinez into blitzes.  I've almost never seen that this year.

The biggest weakness on this planned defense is the Lowry/Lancaster snaps.  if there was a 3T who could hunt I think this D is unstoppable from a pass rush perspective.

Agree with every letter

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agree with every letter

Can Keke do it in the future?

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I think Pettine had to scheme sacks last year.  Working with what he had.

I thought in week one, he schemed a few and Blake maybe got one.

But as the year has gone on...he's getting pressure without scheming.  

Maybe @AlexGreen#20 can chime in...as you re-watch things, are we disguising blitzes as much now as we were the first couple of weeks?  I feel like we are not, almost like we are saving those looks for different games.  But, that is just a feeling, nothing to support it.

And yes about another DL.  Prime Daniels would have loved this.  If we don't bring in someone, or even if that someone is old, I certainly want DL to be looked at early in the draft.

49 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Can Keke do it in the future?

Maybe. But I would say that's not this year. 

I love Kingsley but he'd get blown up just like Dean against doubles. I'd say Montravious is that dude for us, or as close as we're going to get until we Bring in Pennel or someone of the ilk. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Maybe. But I would say that's not this year. 

I love Kingsley but he'd get blown up just like Dean against doubles. I'd say Montravious is that dude for us, or as close as we're going to get until we Bring in Pennel or someone of the ilk. 

We played better with Adams back this last week. 

Adams is that guy for me as well. On the other hand, this is why we need to make another investment at the position because Kenny can't do it all in the running game in particular. Plus, he'd probably benefit from some more snaps off. Too bad Daniels had to fall off a cliff essentially...