49ER LEGEND APPRECIATION THREAD

N4L

Who is your all time favorite 49er?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite 49er?

• Joe Montana
    • Jerry Rice
    • Steve Young
    • Ronnie Lott
    • Pat Willis
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Tom Rathman
    • T.O.
    • Frank Gore
    • Justin Smith
    • Joe Staley
    • OTHER

10 hours ago, adamq said:

https://x.com/Coach_Yac/status/1811904393400520851

Jerry Rice shuts down a couple trolls at a golf tournament 🤣 

That was a troll job for sure. I like how hombre tries to play victim at the end. You don't ask a 49ers legend who's team just lost to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, what the chances are of the Chiefs doing X,Y, or Z next season. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

Rice told TMZ the two men were trying to get a rise out of him by smirking while asking him about the team that beat the 49ers in the Super Bowl, but nothing in the video supports that characterization.

“I’m going to defend the San Francisco 49ers,” Rice told TMZ. “This is my history.”

Starcade Media posted a statement on social media saying, “We meant absolutely no disrespect to Jerry or the 49ers when asking this question as we have a profound respect for the great players that have played this game, especially (in our opinion) the greatest receiver of all time. The confrontation that followed was very unfortunate but we were not trying to elicit a negative reaction and there were no ‘smirks’ as Mr. Rice suggested. We simply wanted the input of the greatest receiver in league’s history about the Chiefs receiving corps and if it had improved enough to continue winning at a high level after an historically rough season for the group.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerry-rice-loses-his-cool-over-question-about-chiefs-wide-receivers

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Rice told TMZ the two men were trying to get a rise out of him by smirking while asking him about the team that beat the 49ers in the Super Bowl, but nothing in the video supports that characterization.

“I’m going to defend the San Francisco 49ers,” Rice told TMZ. “This is my history.”

Starcade Media posted a statement on social media saying, “We meant absolutely no disrespect to Jerry or the 49ers when asking this question as we have a profound respect for the great players that have played this game, especially (in our opinion) the greatest receiver of all time. The confrontation that followed was very unfortunate but we were not trying to elicit a negative reaction and there were no ‘smirks’ as Mr. Rice suggested. We simply wanted the input of the greatest receiver in league’s history about the Chiefs receiving corps and if it had improved enough to continue winning at a high level after an historically rough season for the group.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerry-rice-loses-his-cool-over-question-about-chiefs-wide-receivers

Yeah, but apparently the video they released in their statement had edits/cuts in the playback. 

Regardless, it was still a braindead move by the reporter. Why would Rice give a **** about how the offseason of the Chiefs are going??? 

• Like 2

Jerry Rice talks about Deion Sanders in Sports Illustrated /11-20-23:

"There was a time when I hated Deion Sanders. To be clear: It wasn’t Deion the man. It was Deion the competitor. Deion the opponent.

After he came into the NFL with the Falcons we went at each other twice a year for five seasons as rivals in the NFC West. I couldn’t sleep the night before when I knew he’d be covering me. If Deion was on the opposite side, you knew it was going down the next day.

Deion was one of the fastest defensive backs I ever faced. Before every play I had to come to the line with a plan. I’d have to double-move, maybe triple-move, off the line to get some separation from him. I knew it would be tough. But it also motivated me. I hope it motivated him, too. As a competitor, you want to go against the best to test yourself.

In 1994, Deion moved from Atlanta to the #49ers: After all those years on opposite sides, we were teammates. In San Francisco we had been to the NFC championship game two years in a row—Deion was the missing piece we needed to get back to championship level. As I knew from facing him, he was that shut-down corner. Now it was time to work together. We had different approaches to the game, but we both had the same goal: to win a Super Bowl. And we did that.

You find a way to work together because it’s about teamwork. That is what we did. After that Super Bowl year in San Francisco, Deion moved to the Cowboys, and we went back to being rivals. After we were done playing, the respect we had for each other on the field and the passion we shared for competing developed into friendship."

• Like 1

Roger Craig, a running back for the San Francisco 49ers, revolutionized the position in the 1980s with his extraordinary dual-threat ability, and known for his versatility. His contributions were instrumental to the 49ers' success during their dynasty years, making him a pivotal figure in the team's offensive schemes.

Roger Craig was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the second round of the 1983 NFL Draft out of the University of Nebraska. From the outset, Craig displayed a unique combination of power, speed, and pass-catching ability that set him apart from other running backs of his era.

Craig's 1985 season is considered one of the greatest by a running back in NFL history. He rushed for 1,050 yards and added 1,016 receiving yards, becoming the first player to surpass 1,000 yards in both categories in a single season. His dual-threat ability made him a nightmare for opposing defenses, as he could seamlessly transition from running the ball to catching passes out of the backfield.

Craig played a crucial role in the 49ers' three Super Bowl victories during the 1980s (Super Bowls XIX, XXIII, and XXIV). In Super Bowl XIX, he scored three touchdowns (two receiving, one rushing), becoming the first player to do so in a Super Bowl, and was a key factor in the 49ers' dominant 38-16 victory over the Miami Dolphins.

Loyal San Francisco Fans 4ever.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn’t the greatest speech of all time or anything, but I had a little tear in my eye watching Patrick Willis get inducted into the HOF yesterday. God I love that guy. Amazing player and amazing human. Even though he’s in the HOF, I still think he’s underrated and was the best MLB of all time, just didn’t have the long career.

Favorite Niner of all time for me.