49ER LEGEND APPRECIATION THREAD

N4L

Who is your all time favorite 49er?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite 49er?

• Joe Montana
    • Jerry Rice
    • Steve Young
    • Ronnie Lott
    • Pat Willis
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Tom Rathman
    • T.O.
    • Frank Gore
    • Justin Smith
    • Joe Staley
    • OTHER

Somehow I just now realized this, but I don't like that Burford has Joe Staleys number. I get that at a certain point you run out/can't retire everyone's jersey, but there are plenty of open numbers for a guard to take 

Edited by adamq

11 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Those Patrick Willis vs Adam Carriker debates leading up to the 2007 draft were epic on 49ers.com, classic BPA vs need debate 

I went back and forth on those debates. I really though Carriker could be a Richard Seymour type of player. But i loved me some Willis too. 

We ended up solving that need big time anyways when we signed Justin Smith a year later in FA. 

I was here for it! Have been here since February 2005. At first, I was definitely on the Cariker band wagon. However, once I did a deep dive into Willis, I was hooked! So, when we took Willis on Draft Day? Oh, I was whooping and hollering. In fact, his jersey was the 1st 9ers jersey I bought since the Steve Young and Jerry Rice days. 

40 minutes ago, adamq said:

Somehow I just now realized this, but I don't like that Burford has Joe Staleys number. I get that at a certain point you run out/can't retire everyone's jersey, but there are plenty of open numbers for a guard to take 

Hmmmm maybe. Before Staley was around, it was Steve Wallace's number though. Before Wallace it was Fred Dean's number, who is in the HOF. Jake Brendel wears Dave Wilcox's (HOFer) number. 

These things are weird. Not sure if Joe Staley will ever make the HOF. Maybe if he does it gets taken out of usage, or at the very least the people that run the show try to convince anybody who asks for it to choose something else. 

Funny thing is, I think the fans like us care more about these things than the players. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

LOL

the funny thing is that debate was bigger than even on there. Like, I remember those debates at various places and I was never on 49ers.com and hadn't joined here yet. That was a real, huge thing 

what name did you go by on the old forum?

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I was here for it! Have been here since February 2005. At first, I was definitely on the Cariker band wagon. However, once I did a deep dive into Willis, I was hooked! So, when we took Willis on Draft Day? Oh, I was whooping and hollering. In fact, his jersey was the 1st 9ers jersey I bought since the Steve Young and Jerry Rice days. 

I was very loudly on the Patrick Willis side of that one. Even though I got the Adam Carriker = Richard Seymour idea that was the crux of that argument, my response was that Patrick was physically more special and I thought that the size concerns raised about Patrick were specious. I've had many bad takes since then, however, lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...