49ER LEGEND APPRECIATION THREAD

N4L

Who is your all time favorite 49er?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite 49er?

• Joe Montana
    • Jerry Rice
    • Steve Young
    • Ronnie Lott
    • Pat Willis
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Tom Rathman
    • T.O.
    • Frank Gore
    • Justin Smith
    • Joe Staley
    • OTHER

On 3/1/2022 at 6:06 PM, DTMW78 said:

Taylor was a great player.

Crazy the 49ers in the 80's found someone like that all the way from Delaware State, who was really thinking of a baseball future instead of football.

Rice will always be the most decorated, but John was clearly the superior athlete. Ran like a Chocobo and jumped in the air like Frogger. Clearly could have been a number one receiver on another squad, but just wanted to win so he stayed a 49er his entire career. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

No one spotlighted Bryant Young's HOF speech? Sigh, shame on you kinfolk. Shame on yous. 

Gotta say, I started to get a little misty eyed seeing Steve Young, and Terrell Owens sitting in the crowd. Also Steve Maricucci from up top near his NFL media station, taking the time to of course listen diligently to this speech. Great that Eddie D was the presenter. Hopefully Craig is in the near future. 

Also...I was not ready for that story regarding his son. My goodness...truly heartbreaking. The BY family has shown tremendous courage through adversity. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have gone back and watched this game every couple years since it happened. This team was the peak of my fandom, chock full of my favorite players. Alex Smith especially.. the amount of hate and vitriol he received during his time here was unfair. Just look at what he could do once they gave him a little offensive help (still lacking at WR) and a real coach.

Going on 12 years (!!!!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

NFL Throwback Steve Young career highlights. I'm still bedazzled at how marvelous he looked waltzing around in the pocket. Wish we had him now.

There are some players who wouldn't fair well in other ages... Steve would have been even better if he was in the league now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geek said:

Who would run Shanny's offense better: Montana or Young?

I think your going to get answers of whoever was that persons favorite qb... Both would have been exceptional just because the passing game is even so much more about timing and everything like it started out with Bill W and Paul Brown. Shanny's offense is that taken to the 10th degree. I lean Steve because of the added athleticism (Not that Joe was bad either) and when Steve retired he was the most efficient QB in league history at the time.

*and he was my favorite

Edited by Ftn49