49ER LEGEND APPRECIATION THREAD

N4L

Who is your all time favorite 49er?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite 49er?

• Joe Montana
    • Jerry Rice
    • Steve Young
    • Ronnie Lott
    • Pat Willis
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Tom Rathman
    • T.O.
    • Frank Gore
    • Justin Smith
    • Joe Staley
    • OTHER

1986 Week 13 New York Giants (10-2) at San Francisco 49ers (7-4-1) 

MNF showdown between the 49ers, and the surging New York Giants. Rematch of the previous year's NFC wild card game. 

Long story short, the 49ers gain a 17-0 lead at halftime, and orchestrate an epic choke job in the 2nd half against the eventual Super Bowl champions. In particular, the 49ers defensive secondary just goes to complete dust during the third quarter. Phil Simms turns into Daryl Lamonica, and just throws complete bombs for scores to his receivers over young 49ers corners Tim McKyer and Don Griffin. Veterans like Ronnie Lott and Carlton Williamson also struggle to make plays. This is the game with the Bavaro run where Lott gets dragged like a rag doll. The bleeding stopped in the 4th quarter, but the 49ers offense played sloppy, and just wasn't crisp resulting in zero second half points. Embarrassing defeat.

Sadly, a worse *** whipping loomed ahead a few weeks later in the playoffs when the 49ers got curb stomped 49-3 in New York. :( 

Edited by PapaShogun

1992 Week 4 San Francisco 49ers (2-1) at New Orleans Saints (2-1)

First divisional game of the year for the 49ers. George Seifert's boys vs. Jim Mora's boys. Superdome was ridiculously loud as usual, and the 49ers and Saints played the tight game in New Orleans they usually did in the early 90's. The 49ers end up winning this one 16-10 on the final seconds in the redzone, halting a Saints drive for a TD. Despite the low score, it was an exciting game with a little bit of everything. The Saints would end up having the number one defense in the NFL that year in points, and Steve Young for the 49ers would win his first MVP. 49ers went 14-2, and Saints went 12-4. The second game a few weeks later at Candlestick was a battle for first place in the NFC West, and also ended up being a very close victory for the 49ers. 

In the 8 years TNT has NFL TV rights, this was their only 49ers game. They never made another TNT appearance before or after this.

Edited by PapaShogun

2001 Week 5 San Francisco 49ers (3-1) at Atlanta Falcons (2-2)

@J-ALL-DAY this is the game for you. Do you remember? Last meeting between the 49ers and Falcons in the old NFC West. This is the one where Owens went nutty with 180 plus receiving yards, and three touchdowns including the overtime winner. Great thriller at the Georgia Dome. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

2001 Week 5 San Francisco 49ers (3-1) at Atlanta Falcons (2-2)

@J-ALL-DAY this is the game for you. Do you remember? Last meeting between the 49ers and Falcons in the old NFC West. This is the one where Owens went nutty with 180 plus receiving yards, and three touchdowns including the overtime winner. Great thriller at the Georgia Dome. 

Of course! One of Owens best moments as a Niner. How he took over the in the 2nd half was amazing. The man was not happy about not getting the ball in the first half. One of my good friends was a Falcons fan so loved going to school the next day talking crap to him LOL.

It's sometimes tough to pick a team when you are born and raised in a state that has no NFL team.  That was my dilemma in Utah.  I kind of liked the Bears at the time.  I remember watching "The Refrigerator" grab a fumble and carry 2-3 guys on his back into the endzone.  And, of course, the Niners had been doing well for themselves as well.

All that said, when Steve Young, who came from BYU, started playing for the Niners, that was immediately my team.  I met him at a Big-O tire store in Roy, Utah before he went pro.  Awesome guy.  He asked if I wanted an autograph, but I said I just wanted to meet him and shook his hand.  In hindsight, I should have taken him up on the offer.  lol

So, I have to go with Steve Young here.  I LOVE those other guys, though. 

• Like 3

Roger Craig named finalist for 2020 Hall of Fame centennial class. I think this is going to be his best shot to get in due to the expansion of inductees for the 100th anniversary. He's now a senior candidate since he retired more than 25 years ago. Even though I have mixed feelings about him deserving to be there, along with Frank Gore, I still hope he makes since since he's probably my favorite 49er runner. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-roger-craig-named-finalist-2020-hall-fame-centennial-class

12 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Roger Craig named finalist for 2020 Hall of Fame centennial class. I think this is going to be his best shot to get in due to the expansion of inductees for the 100th anniversary. He's now a senior candidate since he retired more than 25 years ago. Even though I have mixed feelings about him deserving to be there, along with Frank Gore, I still hope he makes since since he's probably my favorite 49er runner. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-roger-craig-named-finalist-2020-hall-fame-centennial-class

Who can forget those wide-eyes and high-stepping runs! Dude was recognizable due to his style of running alone. 

• Like 1

1988 Week 2 San Francisco 49ers (1-0) at New York Giants (1-0)

One of the greatest 49ers games ever in my opinion. The 49ers rolled into The Meadowlands, a place that was starting to become a house of horrors for the franchise after the playoff losses in 1985, and 1986. The 49ers did win against the Giants in 1987 in New York, but it was a game played with replacement players. 

In this game, Bill Walsh made the decision to start Steve Young, even after Montana had three touchdown passes in an opening road win against the Saints the previous week. Joe nicked his elbow in the third quarter of that game, and Steve Young finished in an unspectacular fashion. However, Young had shown big time upside in relief in 1987, and in particular against the Vikings during the playoffs after Montana was benched. Walsh claimed Joe was too banged up to start, so it would go to Steve. It's been up for debate as to how bad Joe was hurt. Former OT Harris Barton has disputed this, and Steve Young in his book seemed to believe that Walsh was essentially making good on his word to give Steve a legitimate chance to play after acquiring him in 1987. 

The contest was tight one most of the game. Steve Young played the first half, and helped the offense move the ball, but fumbled on the 49ers first three possessions, losing two. However by halftime, the score was tied at 10-10. Walsh went with Montana in the second half. The Giants scored to make the game 17-13 with 1:15 to go after the following kickoff. San Francisco had to go 77 yards for a TD. After a Rice drop on 1st down, a fumbled snap on 2nd down, the 49ers had 3rd down and 10 with time dwindling. Walsh then called 76 All Go, essentially a Hail Mary play which was installed specifically for the Giants earlier that week. Montana threw a perfect spiral down the sideline to Jerry Rice, who was having a bad day, but made the snag to race 78 yards for the game winning touchdown. He personally exorcised some demons, as he was on his way to having a third straight lackluster day against the Giants in New York. It was an epic win for the team. The 49ers moved to 2-0, but the roller coaster season that resulted in the franchise's third Super Bowl victory was just about to begin. 

BTW, Ronnie Lott and Lawrence Taylor didn't play in this game. Lott was hurt, and Taylor was serving a 30 day suspension for drug use. 

Bill Walsh was announced as the final coach for the NFL 100 Team, along with Jerry Rice as one of the best receivers obviously. The 49ers currently have 3, arguably 4 members if you include Sanders on the list: Walsh, Rice, Lott, and Sanders. The fifth will be Montana when the QBs are revealed next week. There are ten slots, and as great as Steve Young was I doubt he takes up one of them. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If it wasn't enough to hold him out of the HOF for two years, some how TO doesn't make the All NFL 100 team. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. 

I would have disagreed if it hadn't been for the inclusion of Marvin Harrison over Owens. That's the one that I have a problem with. Not that Harrison by himself is a bad choice, but compared with someone in his own generation- Owens was the better option. 

Otherwise, that list does what it should - include players from various eras of the game that has existed for 100 years. The best guys of various eras made it. Comparing between eras would essentially end up with a list of guys from only the past 30 years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would have disagreed if it hadn't been for the inclusion of Marvin Harrison over Owens. That's the one that I have a problem with. Not that Harrison by himself is a bad choice, but compared with someone in his own generation- Owens was the better option. 

Otherwise, that list does what it should - include players from various eras of the game that has existed for 100 years. The best guys of various eras made it. Comparing between eras would essentially end up with a list of guys from only the past 30 years. 

Even if you want to just go era by era, Fitzgerald getting over Owens is questionable as well. Most would have Owens over him.

But the thing is, this clearly seems like the NFL holding some grudge against Owens. Kept him out of the HOF for two years, and then when he did get inducted, he did his own ceremony.