MKE Bucks Thread | Griffin ousted as HC after 43 games; Glenn takes over...no, not that one.

beekay414

Now that I'm home, I'll go a little further.

First, not a single player on the entire roster played well other than Giannis tonight. Looked so, so bad.

Second, the fact that we are now in the fourth season under Kidd and he's made zero adjustments to his defensive scheme tells me all I need to know about the guy. The constant rotating and crashing to the ball doesn't work. The fact that it's 2017 and he's somehow convinced himself that a scheme that is built to allow decent looks from 3 is a real option is just incredible.

Finally, John Henson. Good lord is John Henson bad. I knew Adams would feast inside, but Henson doesn't even put up a fight. I have no idea how Giannis can go from 6'9, 112 pounds to absolutely jacked while Henson, in the same S&C program, has the exact same build that he had when he entered the league. He has bad hands. He gets pushed around on the defensive end and adds virtually nothing on the offensive end because he usually gets boxed out to the point that he's well out of the paint when any potential offensive rebound can be had. There was a point in the second half tonight where the Thunder missed a mid-range jumper. I look for Henson to grab the board. He's standing 25 feet away from the hoop as OKC gets an offensive board and a put back. I still can't, for the life of me, figure out what he was possibly doing out there. Did he think he was going to start a fastbreak?

Just a real frustrating game. Giannis is great though. Hate to think we're going to waste him since we're almost a lock to win 45-50 games just by his sheer greatness and that will probably continually save Kidd's job and lead to zero real roster changes. This team desperately needs someone like Tyson Chandler. Thon may eventually be the answer, but like Henson, he's just not strong enough to make any consistent impact at the rim or on the glass.

• Like 2

I'm starting to really hate Kidd. I wonder how much Giannis really likes him? If I recall, Thunder fans hated Scott Brooks he finally got canned but he was Durant's boy. Some say that was one of the issues of many he had with the direction the Thunder went. It's crazy how the Bucks owners (who probably know something about basketball) can watch the Bucks and think Kidd is a good coach? It doesn't take an elite hoops mind to realize the defense he is running makes no sense. 

Crazy how some of these millionaires run their organization, just sad. 

My fear is that Giannis loves kidd. He’s a players coach by all metrics, and has respect in the league from even all current players.

That said, it’s time to fire kidd. We can’t make decisions based on what we believe Giannis wants, As tempting as it is. We need to do what’s best for the club

Edited by IrishGreen

I really don't understand why nothing has changed. What exactly makes this staff think "Yeah, our defensive system works!" Is it because it worked for one season? Also, why are we so adamant about drafting length? Because one guy worked out incredibly well? Guess what...Thon looks like one of the worst players in the league. Henson is length but couldn't box me out. Don't get me started on DJ Wilson.

Someone on RealGM posted Thon's numbers and it's just horrid. He's really nowhere near ready to play. He's like John Henson in that we let a playoff series SSS blind us. Thon should be in the G League, not the NBA.

• Like 1

I get that Jabari was clearly our pick but Embiid would look real nice here (even with having to pay him).

2014 - Joel Embiid instead of Jabari Parker
2015 - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson instead of Rashad Vaughn (also, keep Norman Powell)
2016 - Dejounte Murray instead of Thon Maker, keep Malcolm Brogdon, keep Patrick McCaw (we were connected to Murray so this isn't a stretch)
2017 - John Collins (or Jordan Bell) instead of DJ Wilson

Outside of 2014 because Jabari was a fine pick that could've been better, obviously, we really screwed the pooch.

56 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Someone on RealGM posted Thon's numbers and it's just horrid.

I've tried to avoid posting about this, because I hate Henson so much, but yeah, Thon is just nowhere near ready to be playing the 5 at the NBA level. He's getting absolutely dominated on the defensive end and there's nothing he can do about it. He's just getting pushed around. All he has is length. He's shooting 33% from 3 and nearly every one of those are entirely uncontested. That's the only value he can add to the team right now. He can occasionally use his length to alter shots, but he's just bad on the glass and if he's not hitting open 3s, he adds nothing on the offensive end.

The center position is just pitiful. We've got a first-round pick and $30 million in contracts at the 5 and it's just a gigantic hole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

I really don't understand why nothing has changed. What exactly makes this staff think "Yeah, our defensive system works!" Is it because it worked for one season?

This is really what makes me want to see Kidd gone. I have no real gripes about player development or the clear relationship he has with the roster. But the bull-headed refusal to adapt something that clearly isn't working and hasn't worked for the last 170+ games tells me all I need to know about him as a coach. He got one season where it worked, the rest of the league adapted, and he's made no attempts to counter that.

He's been gifted a once in a generation type athlete with an all-world work ethic and his system is actively holding the team back. What we have at the 5 is laughable, but there's no excuse for a starting lineup that has four defenders that range from above average to great to have the kind of perimeter defense we have. All of this collapsing to the ball and abandoning the perimeter nonsense has burned us for two years and is now entering year three. Either he doesn't see it or he's blaming the players (we actually saw this last year when he called out the defensive effort) for his own incompetence. Neither of which is in any way acceptable.

My only hope is that with a superstar and a new arena, somebody can recognize that Kidd is our Mark Jackson and make a play for a head coach that understands fundamentally what this team needs. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Because, as I've said a couple times at this point, with Giannis being Giannis and hopefully tonight marking the start of Khris finding his stroke, we're going to win enough games that whoever Kidd's supporters are will probably be able to justify his continued existence.

And bk, I'm all aboard just abandoning the Bledsoe pursuit and seeing if we can just make a trade for Chandler. This team needs a player like Chandler a lot more than they need another scorer (even if they could really use another scorer).

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm done with Kidd as well. We need a real head coach and real basketball people running the show. Not this garbage we have going on now. Really thought we'd be in for a change with the ownership swap but they've proven to be even bigger cronyism fans than Kohl was. Like, why does Alex Lasry have any damn role in this front office? What the hell does he know about basketball? And he doesn't just have a role, he's the damn senior VP IIRC. That's just absurdity. The way we handled Zanik and the GM job was just ridiculous. We're a mess, man, and without Giannis, this team would've been well on it's way to Seattle.

I want Ettore Messina, Becky Hammon or Jay Wright as our next head coach. Bring that Spurs philosophy and actual basketball acumen to Milwaukee so we don't waste this prime opportunity we have at surrounding the most unique player in NBA history with legitimate talent. I mean, we have some talent but our coaching staff handles them like a toddler tries to put square pegs in round holes. I mean, it's apparent simply with the role they have Delly playing and how they've managed to make Teletovic look absolutely worthless despite prime shooting ability (hello, Jason, don't have him handle the ball!) Hell, we even have Tony Snell as someone who is an after thought on play designs on the perimeter and when they do design something, they have him attacking the basket which is something he's horrid at. This staff is utterly clueless.

Serously, LED can go suck a fat one with how these last few years have gone. Sack up and realize that you are businessmen, not basketball people. Get your damn son out of the front office and get your former financial client and butt buddy off the damn coaching chair!

Edited by bkobow05

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

And bk, I'm all aboard just abandoning the Bledsoe pursuit and seeing if we can just make a trade for Chandler. This team needs a player like Chandler a lot more than they need another scorer (even if they could really use another scorer).

Len could be a good pickup either this year or next for y'all. Most Suns fans agree he is better than Chandler, especially if you limit what he does offensively (he has more opportunities here than he would else where). He could probably be had for cheap I'm assuming since he had to sign his QO this year.

4 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Len could be a good pickup either this year or next for y'all. Most Suns fans agree he is better than Chandler, especially if you limit what he does offensively (he has more opportunities here than he would else where). He could probably be had for cheap I'm assuming since he had to sign his QO this year.

These are the kinds of signings we need to be making. Cheap, defensive bigs. We literally don’t need any offense from them with Giannis essentially a PF playing PG.

And yea, I don’t think anyone is one the Kidd train anymore. He’s legit just Mark Jackson. I would like Ime Udoka, Ettore Messina, or Becky Hammon.

im not ready to give up on thon yet though. I think there are tools there. He just shouldn’t be playing meaningful nba minutes right now. I wouldn’t be oppossed to bringing bolmboy up from the herd, and have thon spend time in the g league playing 30 mpg and working out with the senior team down here in Milwaukee.