Marcus Peters traded to Ravens

M.10.E

17 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I wouldn't trade Marlon Humphrey right now for Jalen Ramsey either.

I also wouldn’t do that trade. Ramsey’s the better cover man, but Humphrey is probably the best corner in run support and I trust him to not have a meltdown and play through another two contracts and end his career as a Ravens. With Ramsey I get a TO vibe where he’s going to be great and play his career with multiple teams until he “retires” when other teams don’t want him vs retiring on “his own terms” like a Ray Lewis or JO or Suggs, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Now this is interesting. The Rams actively sought out Kenny Young as the piece they had to have for the Marcus Peters trade. Wonder if they see something in him that we didn't.

Well he was a UCLA kid, loved by the coaching staff over there as a leader and such. I'm sure the Rams spent a lot of time scouting him. Then we drafted him and he did flash big time for a rotational rookie. They probably still view him as a great young developmental LB, which he likely is. And saw this as an opportunity to get back a young prospect they missed out on in the draft. Remember they poached Darious Williams from us after seeing him at our joint practices too. Maybe they were geeked off Kenny's work from those days as well.

I wish him nothing but the best. 

5 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Tavon Young - should be back fully healthy next season with no lingering effects from his current IR stint

That's the one good thing. 

19 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I'll say 30 or 40.

He should go with 40. Funny enough- it was Kenny's number. More than that though, it's double Ed Reed's number. And since Peters is kin to him in interception rate and with his return ability it seems like a good fit.

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Listening to the Ken McKusick and Michael Crawford podcast at the moment, and I still have absolutely no clue how we will use Peters and what his strengths really are.

I believe his tackling is, selective, at best (I hate that), but I see good plays in both zone and man. I could imagine they have Marlon/Jimmy play press and have Peters play off coverage. Due to his lack of willingness to tackle I don't like him as a slot corner option for us.

Ken also suggests Peters could be a potential safety convert due to his ability to find the football, but also because he likes to look into the backfield which makes him susceptible for double moves.

Depending on what people call it, 3-5 defense or quarters, Wink has showed he is not afraid to put a lot of DB's on the field. Both Peters and Carr could work well in that capacity so we could see a lineup with Smith, Humphrey, Peters, Carr, Clark and Thomas all on the field.

Speaking of Carr, I think he is a player we should seriously consider extending. He has been as durable as advertised and played well as long as he didn't have to cover the best receivers on the opposing team. If he can also convert to safety, he will be a very versatile option for the next 2-3 years

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

I believe his tackling is, selective, at best (I hate that), but I see good plays in both zone and man. I could imagine they have Marlon/Jimmy play press and have Peters play off coverage. Due to his lack of willingness to tackle I don't like him as a slot corner option for us.

I wouldn't worry about him going to the slot. I think Carr has that spot locked up. As you say, off looks across from Marlon/Jimmy is the smart bet. Hopefully with Marcus' gambling tendencies we see Wink keep Earl back in his more natural role too. Let him blanket deep while Peters hunts and Marlon clamps. He's susceptible to double moves and a talent like Earl Thomas can help protect against that double edged sword he brings to our D. QBs aren't going to test Peters early the way they do our other CBs. They'll be worried about a house call coming back the other way. I think that preventive factor will pay dividends right away.

Tackling against backs does look like an issue, but his strip reel is pretty good from what I've seen. So he's not completely hopeless against carriers lol.

25 minutes ago, Danand said:

Depending on what people call it, 3-5 defense or quarters, Wink has showed he is not afraid to put a lot of DB's on the field. Both Peters and Carr could work well in that capacity so we could see a lineup with Smith, Humphrey, Peters, Carr, Clark and Thomas all on the field.

We'll have the freedom to put one of our CBs on TEs like Kelce now too. And just in general having another ball hawk on the field is such a boon. On these plays where a guy like Mahomes is running around trying to create miracles, having DBs with natural instincts is so important.

29 minutes ago, Danand said:

Speaking of Carr, I think he is a player we should seriously consider extending. He has been as durable as advertised and played well as long as he didn't have to cover the best receivers on the opposing team. If he can also convert to safety, he will be a very versatile option for the next 2-3 years

I think the team would be more than willing. It's just a matter of how much longer he wants to play, similar to Yanda. Carr weirdly turned back the clock and had a career season last year, but now he's kind of come back down to earth into that Top 15-25 CB range. Which is still a massive asset, especially when you pair it with his IronMan durability. He could be a rock solid Vet #4 CB for us or look at a gradual shift towards Safety. An invaluable player when factoring in that reliability and versatility.

His price tag should be lower than our initial deal with him, which ended up being a steal, and he's unlikely to have many outside suitors because of his age. A retirement contract for him in Baltimore makes all the sense in the world. As I said before he's become one of my all time favorite FA additions and I really hope we can get him a ring. Great person and player. He should be a great influence on a guy like Marcus Peters, as will our other DBs.

It is sometimes difficult to put a price on rock solid, because it is one of those situations where you don't know what you got until its gone. I don't know what Carr could get on the open market, but I don't think we should let him test it. Just get it done and have that security blanket for 2-3 more years or how much he decide he wants to play. 

With regard to how we use Peters, we could adopt the Patriots philosophy, where they take their best cornerback and put on the opponents #2 receiver and then let Peters/Smith have their go at the #1 receiver with safety help