Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Sheesh, we had direct access to admissions in D3. Every commit we had was turned into admissions as a football player. They even gave us 5 "no's" we could turn to "yes" every class. Granted they had to be close, they weren't admitting a 1.2 GPA kid or anything, but those 2.5-3.0 kids without a great ACT or resumes, that would've been rejected as basic students, we got them in.

So they have "access", but through the official channels, I should say. So it's guidance on the application and whatnot. And then the coach writes a letter of rec. So it's obvious they are football players and get special treatment, but how much is up to admissions ultimately.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear.

Before the season, UW athletics has a rough idea of what the yes/no/maybe is based on previous years admissions. They have to manage the test scores and GPA and class eligibility side of it, but have a mailbox for questions to admissions. They help out the kid with the application, write a letter of rec, and then in the Wisconsin app they check athlete. Then admissions decides, tells athletics/kid, they have a potential chance to appeal or improve test scores/get letters of rec/whatever to reapply.

But it's not like Jim Leonhard could send a behind the scenes e-mail to a higher up in the admissions department to get a favor or something. Which is what I mean when I say "access".

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So they have "access", but through the official channels, I should say. So it's guidance on the application and whatnot. And then the coach writes a letter of rec. So it's obvious they are football players and get special treatment, but how much is up to admissions ultimately.

Well that's the potential way around it. Obviously these kids can't be 2.0 students or just bad people but we do have a "special talents" factor in admissions and hopefully they lean into it a bit more. At least enough to compete on a national level consistently. They don't have to sacrifice their academics entirely, they just need to be less prudish about them.

• Like 1

Sources close to Cincinnati’s program told The Athletic on Sunday that high-ranking administrators within the athletic department have been aware and prepared for the possibility of Fickell’s departure for a couple of weeks, with Nebraska and Wisconsin both showing interest. A source familiar with the negotiations also told The Athletic that Fickell’s wife, Amy, visited Madison, Wisc., this month to explore the Badgers’ interest in Fickell for the head coaching position.

Sources close to Cincinnati told The Athletic that Bearcats administrators have been in conversation with Fickell in recent weeks about what could be done to keep him at Cincinnati, including a willingness to increase the assistant salary pool among other things, but that when the Wisconsin offer ultimately came, Fickell felt this was the right time and situation for him to pursue.

https://theathletic.com/3941906/2022/11/27/who-is-luke-fickell/

"My family and I are thrilled to join the Wisconsin family," Fickell said. "This is a destination job at a program that I have admired from afar for years. I am in total alignment with Chris McIntosh's vision for this program. There is a tremendous foundation here that I can't wait to build upon. This world-class university, athletic department and passionately loyal fan base all have a strong commitment to success and I can't wait to be a part of it."

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2022/11/27/football-fickell-ushers-in-new-era-of-badger-football.aspx

• Like 1

Players can leave, I’m fine with it. I get their frustration, but maybe play better over the last three years. Don’t lose the axes two straight times for the first time in three decades.

Probably makes for a rough 2023, but whatever, it’s not like the last three years have been enjoyable viewing experiences.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Players can leave, I’m fine with it. I get their frustration, but maybe play better over the last three years. Don’t lose the axes two straight times for the first time in three decades.

Probably makes for a rough 2023, but whatever, it’s not like the last three years have been enjoyable viewing experiences.

Hard to tell what 2023 will look like right now but the schedule isn't unfavorable for a quick turnaround.

vs Buffalo
at Washington State
vs Georgia Southern
at Purdue
vs Rutgers
vs Iowa
at Illinois
vs Ohio State
at Indiana
vs Northwestern
vs Nebraska
at Minnesota

You obviously never know but if Fickell can bring some of these guys with him that would help out tremendously. 

Transfers
Evan Prater, QB
Jojo Bermudez, WR (announced intent to transfer)
Tyler Scott, WR
Jadon Thompson, WR
Chamon Metayer, TE
Mario Eugenio, DE
Jaheim Thomas, LB
Sammy Anderson Jr, CB
JQ Hardaway, DB (announced intent to transfer)
Bryon Threats, SAF

UC Commits
Brady Drogosh, QB
Khamari Anderson, TE
Trevor Carter, ILB
Amare Snowden, CB

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean, I think there's absolutely an argument for it:

The failure rate out of UW is crazy. Legitimately 25% of the dorm was just gone the first January. It's really hard for everyone, but especially if you came from a rural school where AP classes and everything were not an option for you. A lot of people see the learning rate, freak out, never try/party for 3 months, and drop out.

If that happens to our recruiting class every year, we are screwed. Injuries and football development are plenty of attrition, we can't be bringing in morons.

There are political/ideological reasons for that and it's pretty freaking gross.