Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

Didn't you just tell me not to take what our coaches say at face value?

In fact, even after making his long-awaited collegiate debut, Mertz believes the plan is to redshirt, while still being ready for backup duty in 2019.

"I am redshirting. It's more just getting my opportunities in those four games to develop," Mertz told reporters.

Mertz added that neither head coach Paul Chryst or quarterbacks coach Jon Budmayr has officially made that decision to redshirt him, but the former four-star quarterback recruit believes he'll only play in up to four games unless he's needed in a larger role.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sell me on something optimistic. Best case scenario what does this depth chart look like next year?

Our recruiting class this year is the best in UW history, and 2021's could be better.

Mertz needs to play next year, but there's no reason to not be optimistic unless we stick with Coan.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Again, how does that show anything that proves the coaches didn't put it in his head as an option and he ran with it? It doesn't show anything. For all we know, he's spewing something the coaches told him and he expected. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Our recruiting class this year is the best in UW history, and 2021's could be better.

Mertz needs to play next year, but there's no reason to not be optimistic unless we stick with Coan.

Granted, it's not the same Oregon team, but the start contrast of how our defense played Oregon in the last 2 Rose Bowls is also a very good sign. Our secondary came up against NFL level WR players and the only teams that were able to beat us consistently were Michigan when the game was over and OSU.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I’m mostly just confused why, when teams are crashing Taylor every time, yet again it took us three quarters to start using the jet sweep motion.

I don't know why you're letting playcalls eat you up. We don't turn the ball over and we blow them out of the water. We dominated on defense and consistently moved the ball on offense.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't know why you're letting playcalls eat you up. We don't turn the ball over and we blow them out of the water. We dominated on defense and consistently moved the ball on offense.

Because, even with all of that, the playcalling took points off the board. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Because we didn’t really move the ball consistently? We certainly moved it better than Oregon, but the run game stalled and Coan spent most of the game afraid to put the ball in the air. I think we had three drives of any real significance?

I mean, we were clearly the better team and should’ve won regardless of any coaching complaints, but man, you’ve got a month, come up with something more clever than 4 RB formations with big shifts at 15 seconds on the play clock.

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Because we didn’t really move the ball consistently? We certainly moved it better than Oregon, but the run game stalled and Coan spent most of the game afraid to put the ball in the air. I think we had three drives of any real significance?

I mean, we were clearly the better team and should’ve won regardless of any coaching complaints, but man, you’ve got a month, come up with something more clever than 4 RB formations with big shifts at 15 seconds on the play clock.

They controlled TOP and played good defense while moving the ball well enough to score 20+ points. Even got a ST score. That's our game. Not sure why anyone was expecting with a month off we'd change who we are??

We turned the ball over 4 times in our own territory that led to 21 points. Without those, we'd be celebrating a Rose Bowl tonight, even with the less than innovative playcalls.

• Like 1