Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I had a live draft during this game, was on 1 of the screens but it was very hard to pay attention. Why were we passing so much in 1st half? What was the weak link of D?

Hoping to watch replay today or tomorrow. 

I don't have the numbers but I thought it was balanced, not PC balanced, but not air raid. It was a lot of underneath stuff other than the deep shot that Bell blew. Entirely different ballgame if he doesn't blow that perfect play. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I had a live draft during this game, was on 1 of the screens but it was very hard to pay attention. Why were we passing so much in 1st half? What was the weak link of D?

Hoping to watch replay today or tomorrow. 

Offense felt like it had a natural flow in the 1st, was probably a pretty similar split, we just weren't converting 3rd and shorts to extend drives and get points. 

My weakness for sure on the D is the pass rush. Non-existent vs Buffalo which doesn't bode well for B1G schools later this year. I didn't see any Varner, Johnson or Bollers on the front 7 (@beekay414 can correct me if I'm wrong there) Johnson, Paez, Thompson, Barten, McDonald, Goetz are all gap fillers, no rush ability at all. Peterson was the only guy getting some hurries. Pietrowski looks entirely like a JAG. Latu is horrible, he got benched in the 2nd half it looks like. Alexander Smith got toasted by a 4.65 WR. 

Honestly I was hoping for way more of a starting lineup shakeup, the fact that Bortolini, Furtney, Paez, Goetz, Smith and Latu are playing significant snaps is some PC seniority bull.... I hope Fickell starts seeing that guys like Brunner, Rucci, Benzschawel, Howard, Johnson, Bollers, Duclona, Austin Brown, etc... can't be any worse or unathletic than these guys but actually have a chance to grow from their young mistakes and be NFL caliber players in 1-2 years. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Offense felt like it had a natural flow in the 1st, was probably a pretty similar split, we just weren't converting 3rd and shorts to extend drives and get points. 

My weakness for sure on the D is the pass rush. Non-existent vs Buffalo which doesn't bode well for B1G schools later this year. I didn't see any Varner, Johnson or Bollers on the front 7 (@beekay414 can correct me if I'm wrong there) Johnson, Paez, Thompson, Barten, McDonald, Goetz are all gap fillers, no rush ability at all. Peterson was the only guy getting some hurries. Pietrowski looks entirely like a JAG. Latu is horrible, he got benched in the 2nd half it looks like. Alexander Smith got toasted by a 4.65 WR. 

Honestly I was hoping for way more of a starting lineup shakeup, the fact that Bortolini, Furtney, Paez, Goetz, Smith and Latu are playing significant snaps is some PC seniority bull.... I hope Fickell starts seeing that guys like Brunner, Rucci, Benzschawel, Howard, Johnson, Bollers, Duclona, Austin Brown, etc... can't be any worse or unathletic than these guys but actually have a chance to grow from their young mistakes and be NFL caliber players in 1-2 years. 

Yeah, I didn't see Varner or Bollers but I also wasn't consistently looking for them. I know Varner is more DL now for us as we bulked him up into the 270 range.  Pietrowski looks stiffer than hell and takes some of the worst angles. Depth chart had KJ as the back-up EDGE to Peterson. Bollers wasn't listed on the 2 deep.

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I didn't see Varner or Bollers but I also wasn't consistently looking for them. I know Varner is more DL now for us as we bulked him up into the 270 range.  Pietrowski looks stiffer than hell and takes some of the worst angles. Depth chart had KJ as the back-up EDGE to Peterson. Bollers wasn't listed on the 2 deep.

Our 3rd down rush package is 3 Tyler Lancaster's and a Kyler Fackrell. Just brutal. That needs to change or it's going to be a disappointing year. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Our 3rd down rush package is 3 Tyler Lancaster's and a Kyler Fackrell. Just brutal. That needs to change or it's going to be a disappointing year. 

Next weekend is gonna be a tough test for the pass rush. Gotta hope Fickell/Tressel aren't as stubborn as PC/Leonhard in making changes. Transition year but got some stuff to work on for sure.

• Like 1

Wisconsin D3 talk...

Just saw that UW-River Falls boatraced Mary Hardin Baylor last weekend. That's awesome. UW-Whitewater probably has the toughest schedule in the country in D3. They beat #19 John Carroll last weekend, play #4 St. John's tomorrow, play #12 MHB next week and then play 3 other current WIAC ranked teams (#19 UW-Oshkosh, #11 UW-La Crosse, #9 UW-River Falls) all in the first 6 weeks of the season.

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Wisconsin D3 talk...

Just saw that UW-River Falls boatraced Mary Hardin Baylor last weekend. That's awesome. UW-Whitewater probably has the toughest schedule in the country in D3. They beat #19 John Carroll last weekend, play #4 St. John's tomorrow, play #12 MHB next week and then play 3 other current WIAC ranked teams (#19 UW-Oshkosh, #11 UW-La Crosse, #9 UW-River Falls) all in the first 6 weeks of the season.

River Falls blew out Ohio Wesleyan 37-10
Whitewater is up 49-28 on #4 St. John's with 5 minutes to go
Oshkosh lost to #13 Wheaton 30-21
La Crosse lost to #6 Hardin-Simmons 28-21

Edited by beekay414