Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And part of that is on our OL. We never had a solid 5 throughout the year, there was constantly rotation with Moorman, Lyles, and Erdmann. Our guard play was terrible.

Our offensive line in general for the last few years is a shadow of the Carimi-Frederick-Konz-Zeitler-Wagner group that really moved the program into the second best team in the conference spot.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did we make a mistake in knowing where our window was? Do we beat Illinois and maybe one of the OSU games if we have 5% better QB play?

You think this team beats LSU or Clemson?? I don't think with 10% better QB play that they come within 21.

Will a window ever come with how lopsided recruiting has become? Not sure. LSU has always had a crappy offense, got a QB and is dominant. We've always had a stout defense and great running game with a crappy QB, if we got a QB it would certainly help, however we quickly learn when facing elite athletes that our players are overachieving.

I personally don't feel I'll ever witness a Badgers national championship in my lifetime, and I'm not even 30 yet, but if it all hits I could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's sad that this is always your tactic. Everything is obviously case by case basis but you try and paint your opponent in an argument to make these broad based generalizations like I'm some idiot. Lol

Obviously the best player plays, but if it's close and you have the ability to redshirt a young player and take advantage of him as a more mature athlete, you do it. Especially when you're at a university where you arent on a level playing field and are essentially hunting for a year window every 4-5 years.

You're the one telling me you redshirt someone, who is more talented, just because you MIGHT be better when they are older. That makes no friggin' sense to me. And you can't, with a straight face, tell me Mertz wasn't ready. He had more physical talent throws as a HS junior than Coan had as a college redshirt junior. They aren't even on the same playing field when it comes to natural ability. Then, you have coaches praising his ability to prepare so, the he's not mentally ready, goes out the window too. So, the ONLY reason you're starting the older guy, at this point, is simply because he's older. That's it. That's NOT a good enough reason to redshirt someone. 

I mean, as titans pointed out, our coaches called a limited game because of our QBs limitations WITH A MONTH TO PREPARE. That tells me all I need to know about the supposed competition in spring/fall. There's simply no way it's close enough that you redshirt him. We literally wasted a season of our most talented offense since Russell Wilson was here just so we could get a "more mature" Graham Mertz lol. That's stupid af.

I mention other true freshman QBs who were ready and you're argument was they operate differently because they are pro factories. You miss out on opportunities if you project what we'll be in the future. What about Hank Bachmeier at Boise State? Are they a pro factory too? This team was talented enough to make the playoff this year. We wasted it in hopes of what we could be, despite the fact that we simply will not have a RB as good as JT23 and we're not very likely to have the NFL caliber WR talent in Cephus in the future either. But, sure. Yeah, you redshirt the guy to play with lesser players. Sure.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

You're right. They praised Coan and Hornibrook. Maybe our coaches are just idiots? That's possible.

Mertz might have been putting in work, but that doesn't mean he's mentally ready. And that comment may have been to motivate Chase Wolf.

We've seen this firsthand with Jonathan Taylor: when a guy comes into the team and is the best player on the roster, it doesn't take that long for them to get control of the spot. Same with Cephus, he came back to the team and got his spot back after 18 months off. Why? He was the best WR on the roster.

If Mertz was head and shoulders above Coan, he would have started.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Mertz might have been putting in work, but that doesn't mean he's mentally ready. And that comment may have been to motivate Chase Wolf.

We've seen this firsthand with Jonathan Taylor: when a guy comes into the team and is the best player on the roster, it doesn't take that long for them to get control of the spot. Same with Cephus, he came back to the team and got his spot back after 18 months off. Why? He was the best WR on the roster.

Thank you. And if Mertz was head and shoulders better and Chryst chose to sit him anyway, and our seniors and locker room leaders didn't raise hell about it, the team is pretty well doomed.

If they were neck and neck, you redshirt the young guy, that's how college sports work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not true whatsoever. PC has been a pain in the *** handling QBs his entire tenure here. You can't treat the QB position the same way you treat RB and WR. I mean, we had Nakia Watson getting more burn than Bradrick Shaw despite Shaw being clearly better. PC is just an inconsistent coach, in all aspects. Well, except his personality.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You think this team beats LSU or Clemson?? I don't think with 10% better QB play that they come within 21.

Will a window ever come with how lopsided recruiting has become? Not sure. LSU has always had a crappy offense, got a QB and is dominant. We've always had a stout defense and great running game with a crappy QB, if we got a QB it would certainly help, however we quickly learn when facing elite athletes that our players are overachieving.

I personally don't feel I'll ever witness a Badgers national championship in my lifetime, and I'm not even 30 yet, but if it all hits I could be wrong.

Of course I don't think we'd beat LSU or Clemson, but I think this was our best shot to make the playoffs and bump off Ohio State that we're going to see in a while. 

We're going to lose Taylor, Cephus, and Biadasz. Are Davis, Pryor, or Dunn looking like they're going to be half of what Cephus is? We're gearing up for another one of those years where we don't have a bellcow back, and frankly the interior of the line is going to be gone with all three guys and the top backup being gone. Van Lanen might even be gone. That group is probably going to be very mediocre next year. 

The two difference makers on this defense in Orr and Baun are also going to be gone. Big shoes to fill.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Thank you. And if Mertz was head and shoulders better and Chryst chose to sit him anyway, and our seniors and locker room leaders didn't raise hell about it, the team is pretty well doomed.

If they were neck and neck, you redshirt the young guy, that's how college sports work.

Bro, do you know who's in that locker room? Those kids all spout the same bull**** Chryst spews. These are 18-22 year old kids that are obedient because they can be benched or left behind in the dust in an instant. This isn't the NFL lol. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Not true whatsoever. PC has been a pain in the *** handling QBs his entire tenure here. You can't treat the QB position the same way you treat RB and WR. I mean, we had Nakia Watson getting more burn than Bradrick Shaw despite Shaw being clearly better. PC is just an inconsistent coach, in all aspects. Well, except his personality.

Oh, you mean like how when PC first got here he played Bart Houston, but then 2 games in switched to a freshman Alex Hornibrook? Is that what you mean when you say "pain in the ***"?

He's already shown he'll go with the younger guy, if he's better. And yes, for all his flaws, Hornibrook was clearly better than Houston.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Those kids all spout the same bull**** Chryst spews. These are 18-22 year old kids that are obedient because they can be benched or left behind in the dust in an instant. This isn't the NFL lol.

If you actually believe this, you should have no concerns about Mertz transferring.