Players fined for talking bad about refs...

Dome

it's got to be one of the dumbest things....  just shows how insecure the NFL is. (I think baseball has this rule too?)

Mayfield just got one. Cam Jordan got a warning earlier in the year when he referred to a ref as "Footlocker" after a game.

do these fines go to charity too?

am I the only one who thinks it's a dumb rule?

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Happens in the NBA too. Probably just a union rule set to minimize the crap storm that refereeing brings upon itself - even if done correctly. 

But yeah, it’s dumb. Criticizing their job performance is par for the course. Short of any personal insults, I don’t see how it’s a thing aside from the union perspective.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Happens in the NBA too. Probably just a union rule set to minimize the crap storm that refereeing brings upon itself - even if done correctly. 

But yeah, it’s dumb. Criticizing their job performance is par for the course. Short of any personal insults, I don’t see how it’s a thing aside from the union perspective.

Yeah, I get why they do it... but the NFL can come out and be like "We mucked up a call. Sorry" after a call, but the players can't say the same thing?

Just reeks of not wanting anyone to get hurt feelings IMO. Maybe their feelings should be hurt from time to time to keep 'em in check, cause every once in a while they're downright awful. 

Edit: This isn't to say that I think refs are oblivious to media/social media firestorm that rains down on them weekly. But I think players should have a voice in that firestorm, as well as coaches. Their jobs are at stake. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

The protection referees get is disgusting. They ruin games.

These players and coaches break their freaking backs to win every week and then these morons show up on Sunday and have the power to make all of that hard work meaningless. 

Oh, and when they screw you out of victory after victory, just shut up and smile about it. Don't you dare criticize these idiots or we'll take your money.

The NFL should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 3

Just now, Malfatron said:

The NFL should doubledown and fine fans for complaining about refs.

Turns on TV. 

***This broadcast has been blocked by your television provider at the request of the NFL, for comments regarding the officials you made on FootballsFuture.com and Twitter***

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dome said:

it's got to be one of the dumbest things....  just shows how insecure the NFL is. (I think baseball has this rule too?)

Mayfield just got one. Cam Jordan got a warning earlier in the year when he referred to a ref as "Footlocker" after a game.

do these fines go to charity too?

am I the only one who thinks it's a dumb rule?

You’re not the only one. It’s a stupid rule. There’s no accountability for referees and you can’t even speak negatively about them. 

I would hope this topic would be prioritized during the next CBA

11 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

You’re not the only one. It’s a stupid rule. There’s no accountability for referees and you can’t even speak negatively about them. 

I would hope this topic would be prioritized during the next CBA

The Refs are held to account, literally their job is performance based (I.E in terms of pay to a degree) and if they screw up massively they don't work in the playoffs and will be let go if they're that bad.