Greg Robinson Benched; Kendall Lamm or Justin McCray BBQ Chicken??

Mind Character

It would be really really bad if John Dorsey informed Greg Robinson that he was benched and not Freddie first.

It would also be revealing to me that Dorsey may have more power over starting/sitting roster decisions I really hope not as that's not the power/decision making dynamic you want on a team.

Would make some sense why Chad Thomas has gotten the look over Genard Avery.

To be clear, Dorsey being reported to have talked to Greg Robinson about being benched is not proof positive of anything. I just hope we're not dysfunctional like that.

Greg Robinson wasn't playing so well that his play couldn't be matched or exceeded by someone else.

The issue is do we have that person on the roster that could outplay him. A lot of people's snap judgment is the knee-jerk "of course anyone can play as good" reaction but such reactions don't really take into consideration the full body of work this season regarding OLine play, how Robinson has looked most of the time, and how others on the OLine have struggled often more so than Robinson at times.

Either way, with Lamm still having some knee soreness we might go with....

1.) Chris Hubbard LT and Justin McCray RT -- McCray doesn't have the feet and kick step for LT and is better served as right-side mauler inside if not outside. Hubbard has struggled a lot, but I could see us going to this move.

2.) Wyatt Teller LT and Justin McCray RT or Vice Versa -- We spent 2, 5th round picks on the guy and he hasn't played for us really yet. He doesn't have a strong anchor but has looked solid in tackle snaps at times.

3.) I really have no F-in clue what we're going to do.

Edited by Mind Character

20 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Remember how Browns fans were saying it was so critical to resign this guy or else they wouldn't be Super Bowl contenders?

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Browns Fan is not "Browns Fans."

The "Browns are going to the Super-bowl" Browns fan were the loud minority that neither represented the feelings of most Browns fans who have been too tortured over the years to even let themselves believe just things pre-season for even a second nor were such "we're going to the Super Bowl" Browns fans the insightful or informed football observer.

Not even the person that said "Greg was a godsend last year" truly believed he was a vital piece for Super Bowl contention as he said it "could've been a fluke performance"

I can speak for the vast majority of Browns fans on FF and elsewhere; we were cautiously optimistic about Robinson but knew that our FO needed to urgently look for a replacement because it was only a matter of time until he regressed.

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Browns Fan is not "Browns Fans."

The "Browns are going to the Super-bowl" Browns fan were the loud minority that neither represented the feelings of most Browns fans who have been too tortured over the years to even let themselves believe just things pre-season for even a second nor were such "we're going to the Super Bowl" Browns fans the insightful or informed football observer.

Not even the person that said "Greg was a godsend last year" truly believed he was a vital piece for Super Bowl contention as he said it "could've been a fluke performance"

I can speak for the vast majority of Browns fans on FF and elsewhere; we were cautiously optimistic about Robinson but knew that our FO needed to urgently look for a replacement because it was only a matter of time until he regressed.

Oh I feel you, my post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular and it seems like you have a better understanding of this situation than some others.  I was just speaking in general.  I dont fault browns fans for wanting their team to be truly competitive for the first time in forever, I just think some of them overlooked the issues with this team on paper

As for the offensive line, coming into the season I picked the browns to win 9 games but said that their line would be the biggest factor in how far they’d go this year.  Say what you want about baker not making progress but he doesn’t have much time to throw either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

Remember how Browns fans were saying it was so critical to resign this guy or else they wouldn't be Super Bowl contenders?

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Can confirm that Greg Robinson has never looked like the answer for more than a stopgap. It was always clear.

13 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Oh I feel you, my post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular and it seems like you have a better understanding of this situation than some others.  I was just speaking in general.  I dont fault browns fans for wanting their team to be truly competitive for the first time in forever, I just think some of them overlooked the issues with this team on paper

As for the offensive line, coming into the season I picked the browns to win 9 games but said that their line would be the biggest factor in how far they’d go this year.  Say what you want about baker not making progress but he doesn’t have much time to throw either

Most of us knew that the OL could be our biggest weakness, but it wasn't a sure thing. Once Freddie took over last year, our OL played well for the most part. Robinson wasn't anything great last year, but he was serviceable, which is why he was resigned to a one-year deal. He's regressed this year and it looks like OT (both LT and RT) will be our biggest needs heading into the offseason.

• Like 1

With that said, not sure if this move helps us or not. Who's going to play LT? Obviously not Lamm since he's hurt. Hubbard? Dude is a bum at RT, so I can't imagine he'd be any better at LT. If anything Hubbard should be benched for McCray.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Yeah, the Browns whole offense has taken turns screwing things up at various times: at times it's the OLine, at times it's the coaching, other times WR drops, other times Baker not seeing it well.

You're right in that OLine play is a major factor in predicting our success.

Right now there's some good football debate amongst Browns fans on this forum and elsewhere regarding whether or not the OLine has been the main determining factor in our struggles versus other factors taking priority in determining why we've sucked.

When a team has a top 5 rusher and ranks in the 20s on QB pressure rates and gives up the 3rd least QB hits that offense should be performing better. But as you know watching Dalvin Cook ball-out, QB play and OLine play matter a lot more.

Leading the league in penalties and shooting ourselves in the foot at inopportune times has really F-ed us up.

Will be interesting to see if we can turn it around or not against the Pats. Probably not, but who really knows.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

It would be really really bad if John Dorsey informed Greg Robinson that he was benched and not Freddie first.

well he might have talked to Dorsey about it, that if he is benched, if something could happen that he could be moved, since he no longer has a future in Cleveland. Why not get a head start on FA

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DawgX said:

With that said, not sure if this move helps us or not. Who's going to play LT? Obviously not Lamm since he's hurt. Hubbard? Dude is a bum at RT, so I can't imagine he'd be any better at LT. If anything Hubbard should be benched for McCray.

When Patriots show zero blitz with everybody at the line and our OLine hasn't played together long enough to instinctively know how to pass off guys or bump help block it could lead to a long long day. 

This is one of those games where Baker has to be comfortable throwing it away and checking it down to the RB. Also means Freddie has to actually call plays where Baker has a checkdown option.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3