Let's talk about the schedule

49ers2015

Okay so this is far better than most of us projected sitting at 7-0. Challenge is the Hawks, Pack, and Saints keep winning. So as the schedule toughens what are we looking at here exactly and based on what the team as done already....what does everyone think is a fair expectation?

What concerns me most is the Pack, Ravens, Saints, three game awesomeness. What do we make of that for the best case scenario? of course there is also Seattle which luckily is at home first go around.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts as to how this might play out. 

45 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Okay so this is far better than most of us projected sitting at 7-0. Challenge is the Hawks, Pack, and Saints keep winning. So as the schedule toughens what are we looking at here exactly and based on what the team as done already....what does everyone think is a fair expectation?

What concerns me most is the Pack, Ravens, Saints, three game awesomeness. What do we make of that for the best case scenario? of course there is also Seattle which luckily is at home first go around.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts as to how this might play out. 

The Seattle games scare me just a bit only because its Seattle and they can play terrible for 55 mins and beat ya somehow

I think we'll run all over GB an Balt tbh. The saints game will be a tough one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The Seattle games scare me just a bit only because its Seattle and they can play terrible for 55 mins and beat ya somehow

I think we'll run all over GB an Balt tbh. The saints game will be a tough one.

Yes me too. You can plan all you want but things have a tendency of going their way and then Wilson somehow makes things happen out of nothing. 

Stats are in the 9ers favor though in the sense where they have been beaten by all the mentioned teams recently (even though they won with Mullen against Seattle last year) so maybe that will help? LOL

The Saints game is the scariest game left on the schedule and is the most crucial to win if we want the #1 seed. I don't think we win this game, though. I'm worried about the Packers, Seahawks on MNF, Ravens on the road, and Rams at home. Of these games, I think we only lose to the Ravens. 

I think the Niners finish the year 13-3 with the #2 seed.

• Like 2

At this point in the season, I had us at 5-2 and finishing 11-5. 11-5 would certainly be a disappointment now.

As for the best case scenario for those three games, that would be 3-0. While it's technically always the best case scenario in a 3-game span, I think that's a realistic best case scenario for any 3 game span for this team. We have proven to have an incredible defense, a strong running attack, and while there may understandably be some hesitation regarding our passing game, I know we have the brightest offensive mind in the league to go along with a quarterback who is 15-2 as a starter in the NFL. That quarterback is going to do at least one stupid thing each game, but as long as the defense continues to hold teams to under 3 points on average following those stupid things, then it really won't matter all that much. 

So - realistically - there is no three game stretch in which we couldn't go 3-0. That's not a prediction for what will happen. At SOME point the team is going to lose. But there are no "can't win" games with this team. 

• Like 5

I wanted 10 wins. But only getting 3 the rest of the way would be bad, and not even guarantee a playoff spot. I would hope the 49ers at worst finish 12-4, with losses being close, and wins being big. 

Just like the Panthers, I'm not really intimidated by New Orleans as a fan. Even at the Superdome. Can't really explain it. Maybe it's just past experiences during the Harbaugh years when the 49ers had a defense. Brees didn't look like some insurmountable force, other than 2011. When you can get after him, and have a trigger man as your own that isn't pathetic, it doesn't seem so bad. Michael Thomas and their defense might change my opinion. We'll see. Same deal with Rodgers. Just indifferent. 

I'm more concerned with having to play Russell Wilson twice. And playing Murray is going to be annoying too. Bosa and crew will have to chase those two hobbits around two games a piece for the foreseeable future. 

Rams I think can still pop off. Division games are just a different breed. Ravens on the road, eh, that might be annoying. Good thing we don't play the Vikings. That would be one I'd be nervous about. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I wanted 10 wins. But only getting 3 the rest of the way would be bad, and not even guarantee a playoff spot. I would hope the 49ers at worst finish 12-4, with losses being close, and wins being big. 

Just like the Panthers, I'm not really intimidated by New Orleans as a fan. Even at the Superdome. Can't really explain it. Maybe it's just past experiences during the Harbaugh years when the 49ers had a defense. Brees didn't look like some insurmountable force, other than 2011. When you can get after him, and have a trigger man as your own that isn't pathetic, it doesn't seem so bad. Michael Thomas and their defense might change my opinion. We'll see. Same deal with Rodgers. Just indifferent. 

I'm more concerned with having to play Russell Wilson twice. And playing Murray is going to be annoying too. Bosa and crew will have to chase those two hobbits around two games a piece for the foreseeable future. 

Rams I think can still pop off. Division games are just a different breed. Ravens on the road, eh, that might be annoying. Good thing we don't play the Vikings. That would be one I'd be nervous about. 

For the first time ever, I am out of footballs today, @PapaShogun. What a shame!

B|

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Yea, I'm not as worried about the pocket passers as much as I am about the elite running QBs like Wilson and Jackson for Baltimore. I think those type of QBs will cause us major problems. Our D-Line won't be able to just 'hunt' like they have been. They'll have to play more of a containment style of defense and I think that takes us out of our wheelhouse upfront, rendering our pass-rush less than effective. Running QBs can make those off-schedule plays that you just can't account for. Those plays can tire and demoralize even the best defenses. Really want to see how we fare against Jackson and that Baltimore offense.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 49ers2015 said:

Looks like Seattle's schedule gets harder too. After the 9ers, they have the eagles, vikings, rams, panthers, cards, and the 9ers. 

Let's cross our fingers on some of these. 

The Vikings have a really tough schedule coming up as well. At the Chiefs, Cowboys, and Seahawks in 3 of their next 4 games, and then a home game against the Packers left on the schedule as well. I think that's good for them specifically, because the Vikings are the only non NFC West team I'd be worried about for one of the two Wildcard teams. 

There might be a team with a VERY strong record sitting at home for the playoffs in the NFC.