Clarkfn2284's Game Review, The Preferred Review When Your Football Team Dismantles An Overrated Defense

clarkfn2284

7-0. It is a good time to be a 49er fan. I am starting to run out of things to say about some of these guys. The Panthers are who I thought they were. Actually, they are worse than I thought they were. Let's get started.

QB

Jimmy was good. He made one bad decision on the pick to Luke, but he made a handful of very good throws on third down and over the middle. Just a bad read, with bad fundamentals. The Sanders TD was a good read with some luck sprinkled on it. Eric Reid had lackluster coverage on the play. Not a whole lot to break down on Jimmy this week as the pass offense was pretty creative and interesting with the screen game. Two things to note for me. First the eyes on the Coleman screen pass. Jimmy did a nice job of holding the defense to his right. Second, on the safety, I thought his decision making was superb. He did a good job of understanding the situation and where the game was at. You are up 27-3. Take the safety instead of throwing an errant pass that leads to 6 for the Panthers.

Grade B

RB

The Breida injury sucked because this was the type of game where he could have snapped off for a couple huge runs, but fortunately, it wasn't needed. Coleman was great. His vision was elite and he made great use of the space he found. When Coleman was brought over this was the vision. He was never brought in to carry the ball 20 times a game. Kyle has the idea to keep these guys fresh and allow for some homerun shots. Mostert was able to jump in and be efficient as well when the Niners wanted to play the reserves. All around a solid day and good news to hear that Breida was not too banged up.

Grade Coleman (A), Breida (INC), Mostert (B+)

WR

Good to see Sanders hit the ground running with 4 for 25 and a TD. Thought they used a bit as a decoy at times. Still he had a nice day and looks to fit right into the offense. The ball was spread around quite a bit so no other WR really stood out. However, I liked what I saw from Deebo. In fact, I have liked a lot from him this season. He makes things happen with the ball in his hands. Im excited to see more from him as the season develops. Should be interesting to see what Kyle can do with Sanders and Goodwin together in some combo routes. 

Grade Sanders (B), Pettis (C), Deebo (B), KB (C)

TE

George Kittle is still the best TE in all of the world. I don't really need to say a whole lot about his catches. The guy is special going after the ball and after the catch. His run blocking is on a different level and more so his willingness to do it. He moved Luke and washed him out on one of the Coleman TD's. The guy is just a different type of player.

Grade Kittle (A)

OL

As a whole the O-Line played well. I know that there was the safety, but even Shanahan took responsibility on that one. I though that this game showcased the athleticism of these guys. They were disciplined and great in the screen game and they really stayed in control on some of the more complex run plays. Weston Richburg was great pulling again this week. I can't say enough about the two rookies and the job that they have done holding down the fort while we wait for the starters to get healthy. The Panthers were 2nd in sacks coming into this game and were really dominated all day.

Grade Skule (B+), Tomlinson (B+), Richburg (A), Person (B+), Brunskill (B-)

DL

They are stupid good. That is all.......I have nothing to add.......you all saw Bosa.......The INT is one of the most athletic plays I have ever seen from an edge.......One quick thing.....I didn't like the start to Ronald Blair's day. I though he wasn't very good in the first half. I watched him get driven off the ball and get stood up quite a bit when in the game, but he bounced back well in the second half. 

Grade Bosa (Dumb), Buckner (B), Armstead (A), Ford (B), Blair (C+), Day (B), Thomas (C), Jones (B+)

LB

I loved Warner and Dre's game. Kwon was solid. He didn't really jump off the screen for me. Warner was all over the place and was loud and in the face of everyone. He played with a different energy in this game. Loved his sideline to sideline movement and his shedding of blockers to be disruptive. I though Dre was solid in the run game as well. He is very good in run support.

Grade Warner (B+), Kwon (B-), Dre (B)

DB

EMMANUEL MOSELEY!!!!!!!!! He is making it hard to put Spoon back in there........think about that for a moment. The guy just shows up every week and plays better and better. We need to understand that he is not a target from the opposing offense and that is saying something. It means that he is right in his technique and his discipline. He ran the route for Samuel on the pick. That being said Spoon will get his spot back, but what a good problem to have. Solid game all around from this group.

Grade Sherman (B+), Moseley (A), Williams (B)

S

Tart and Ward were once again really solid. I thought they did a good job when CMC did get loose of stopping the bleeding. Tartt was again good in the box and I really like the attitude Jimmy played with.These guys are making you earn everything you get. Olsen was a non factor and Tartt did a nice job on the Sherman pick with his zone.

Grade Tartt (B), Ward (B)

Not going to touch ST. It was solid.

The real game MVP here was Kyle Shanahan. He was in his bag for this game. He exposed a very overrated Panthers defense that wanted to get up the field. He let them.....and then he carved them up for it. He is the best play caller in the game and he may end up being the Coach of the Year by season's end. The dude is special and he has his finger on the pulse of his guys. As much as Jed has screwed some stuff up he has put together a heck of a team between Kyle and John and the vibe between them has spread into the team. This team is very special and at this point there isn't a team that should scare us as fans. 

Arizona on a short week, on the road and it wont matter. I though this could be a trap game, but these do not exist with this team. Then 11 days to prepare for Seattle and home again for Arizona. This team will be 10-0 heading into week 12. 

A message to 49er fans everywhere. It is ok to believe in what you are seeing. 

Edited by clarkfn2284
  • Like 2

I'm a fan of everything but Brunskill being the lowest rated lineman. A minor quibble, but he held up better than Skule and was a big reason for the large runs that went to the right, and then looked just as good when he moved to RG in the 4th.

Otherwise, thumbs up!

• Like 1

When Bob Stoops won his only National Championship (was in several, only won the 1st :( ) was when I learned it was best to take a safety than risk a TD. The Sooners had to punt, close to their own endzone (vs. FSU) and the ball sailed over the punter's head and rolled toward the endzone. He caught up to it and batted it out the back of the endzone. I was ready to yell at the TV until it dawned on me that he gave up 2 points to avoid giving up 6 or 7...yes, I can be a slow learner (ironic that I am a teacher, right?! O.o ). So, yes, I was okay with Jimmy taking the sack/safety.

E-man was amazing. We have 3 quality starting CBs?! What a nice problem to have. KWms is a nice slot as well.

Now, the Defense in general is fantastic. Rex Ryan says it is the best in the league. I think so too. The DL is stupefyingly tremendous. Do I dare say that a rookie could be the one leading the charge to the QB? Have the 9ers ever seen a rookie impress like this? I cannot recall any other than perhaps Gore or Patrick and yet I think Bosa is taking it to another level than those two did in their rookie years.

This team just defies description. Shanny and company are doing great things.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I cannot recall any other than perhaps Gore or Patrick and yet I think Bosa is taking it to another level than those two did in their rookie years.

To me, Aldon and Willis are the only two (though Gore showed plenty to be considered the starter moving forward) in recent memory. Otherwise...Ronnie Lott? I think he would be the next guy in the conversation. It's hard to judge before Lott because I'm only going off statistics, and they weren't great at keeping statistics for the defensive players before the 80s, making it difficult to suggest how good those guys were as rookies. 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

To me, Aldon and Willis are the only two (though Gore showed plenty to be considered the starter moving forward) in recent memory. Otherwise...Ronnie Lott? I think he would be the next guy in the conversation. It's hard to judge before Lott because I'm only going off statistics, and they weren't great at keeping statistics for the defensive players before the 80s, making it difficult to suggest how good those guys were as rookies. 

Yes! Lott most definitely! 7 INTs at left CB his rookie year with 3 taken to the HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, quite a rookie year.

I'm a little surprised you graded out Brunskill the worst when it came to the offensive line. He was a bit of a beast in the run game. He and Tomlinson just demolished the panthers front on several run plays throughout the game, creating some rather huge holes. 

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm a little surprised you graded out Brunskill the worst when it came to the offensive line. He was a bit of a beast in the run game. He and Tomlinson just demolished the panthers front on several run plays throughout the game, creating some rather huge holes. 

The worst was Skule. He got abused on the big pass play to Kittle where Jimmy G had to shake free and then allowed that sack.

Shanny putting it on himself is actually an indictment on Skule since he is admitting putting Skule in a one on one situation was a mistake.