Teams in the QB market for 2018

Danger

2 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

No thanks to Alex Smith. We really need to be looking at the top QBs in the draft next year.

Barring you guys giving up a Goff/Wentz/RG3 package, I don't see you picking near close enough to land any of those guys.

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Barring you guys giving up a Goff/Wentz/RG3 package, I don't see you picking near close enough to land any of those guys.

Why sign someone like Smith when we already have our own version of him in Trevor Siemian? (for much cheaper I might add) BTW, I have us going 6-10/7-9 this season so we should have a pretty high draft pick next year. We also will have an extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th for trade ammunition if we need it.

16 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

No thanks to Alex Smith. We really need to be looking at the top QBs in the draft next year.

You're not going to draft high enough for that without a considerable move up the boards. Denver isn't great this year more than likely, but you're probably going to be in that 10-15 draft range. That's going to require a ton of capital to move up and grab those top guys. 

Just now, BroncoSojia said:

Why sign someone like Smith when we already have our own version of him in Trevor Siemian? (for much cheaper I might add) BTW, I have us going 6-10/7-9 this season so we should have a pretty high draft pick next year. We also will have an extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th for trade ammunition if we need it.

6-10/7-9 is generally good for picking just outside the Top 10.  If you're outside the Top 10, you're generally giving up a future 1st to get inside it, particularly when it's for a QB.  In the Top 10, a 3rd buys you 1-2 spots max - and again, if the supply (of perceived "franchise QB" prospects) is smaller than the demand, the price escalates exponentially.  Because, again, it's not just convincing the teams that don't need a QB to let you trade into their spot, it's convincing them to pass on a blue-chip player at a position they (probably) could very much use on their roster in order to trade the pick to you and either hope that guy falls or hope someone comparable is available at the pick they get from you.

Also, sorry, but Trevor Siemian has nothing on Alex Smith - and I'm actually someone who isn't totally sour on Siemian.  But he's not Smith; Smith gets horrifically underrated.  If you're finishing 6-10/7-9 with Siemian, it's likely because your QB is Trevor Siemian.  Whereas, with Smith and your defense, I can see you guys threatening 9-10 wins and a Wild Card berth.  And if you can do that for a couple years while grooming a future starter, why wouldn't you do that?  It certainly makes holding onto the upper-echelon players you've got that want to compete while in their primes a good amount easier.

11 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm pretty sure the Broncos would be a far bigger threat with Alex Smith...

8 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

6 wins would have put you at #8 last year. The year before it would have put you as far back as 12. 7 wins would make it worse. That's still going to require a lot of draft capital - more than an extra 3/4/5. For a quarterback, that's going to end up costing a future 1 as well (if these quarterbacks are as good as advertised). 

Now, on the flip side...not completely out of the realm of possibility that there are 5 legitimate first round quarterbacks in this draft. That hasn't happened in a while (98 or 99 I think), but there have been plenty of drafts with 4 quarterbacks taken, so maybe they get the #4/5 guy out of that. Possible. But I think one of these guys will get ripped apart during the season and predraft, and another will go back to school...but hard to say at this point. Kind of a wait and see game. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

If the Broncos continue to have a great defense, Smith's game meshes well with what they have.

I agree. Don't have to convince me, I'm the one who put Denver on the list for his services lol. They could use a better tight end - those are some of his favorite targets after all, but their receiving game has much better weapons than he's used to playing with for the majority of his career. 

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

6-10/7-9 is generally good for picking just outside the Top 10.  If you're outside the Top 10, you're generally giving up a future 1st to get inside it, particularly when it's for a QB.  In the Top 10, a 3rd buys you 1-2 spots max - and again, if the supply (of perceived "franchise QB" prospects) is smaller than the demand, the price escalates exponentially.  Because, again, it's not just convincing the teams that don't need a QB to let you trade into their spot, it's convincing them to pass on a blue-chip player at a position they (probably) could very much use on their roster in order to trade the pick to you and either hope that guy falls or hope someone comparable is available at the pick they get from you.

Also, sorry, but Trevor Siemian has nothing on Alex Smith - and I'm actually someone who isn't totally sour on Siemian.  But he's not Smith; Smith gets horrifically underrated.  If you're finishing 6-10/7-9 with Siemian, it's likely because your QB is Trevor Siemian.  Whereas, with Smith and your defense, I can see you guys threatening 9-10 wins and a Wild Card berth.  And if you can do that for a couple years while grooming a future starter, why wouldn't you do that?  It certainly makes holding onto the upper-echelon players you've got that want to compete while in their primes a good amount easier.

I wouldn't mind giving up a future first and the picks I mentioned for one of the top QBs next year. Alex Smith can't lead KC, a team with a better roster than us ATM to a championship. What is he going to do for us? Just be good enough to be middling and keep us from drafting an actual Franchise QB? No thanks. The Chiefs don't even believe in Smith or else they wouldn't have used a future first to trade up and draft Mahomes this year.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I agree. Don't have to convince me, I'm the one who put Denver on the list for his services lol. They could use a better tight end - those are some of his favorite targets after all, but their receiving game has much better weapons than he's used to playing with for the majority of his career. 

I'm just offering support since it seems some don't agree.

2 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I wouldn't mind giving up a future first and the picks I mentioned for one of the top QBs next year. Alex Smith can't lead KC, a team with a better roster than us ATM to a championship. What is he going to do for us? Just be good enough to be middling and keep us from drafting an actual Franchise QB? No thanks. The Chiefs don't even believe in Smith or else they wouldn't have used a future first to trade up and draft Mahomes this year.

Okay...so why wouldn't you sign Smith and still do that? 

Archived