Make-A-Movie Draft Discussion Thread - Writeups due 12/9

rackcs

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Nice.  Freeman is like the least woke black actor out there, so that's surprising, but who knows.  In his younger days, maybe though.

I guess someone like Lawrence Fishburn could be Runciter, and Don Cheadle could be a decent Ashwood, but Law (in my head) is a pretty critical piece of cast cohesion, since he's worked closely with Downey Jr. on a couple films and with Gilliam and Portman on one each.  I imagine that, if this film were really being made, it'd be good to have that close a cast of central characters.  I guess Skarsgard does that too, but I feel like he had very minor roles in the Marvel movies that Downey was in.

And right now, I'm pretty proud of the amount of actors I have that have collaborated before, often and recently.

It might actually have been Fishburne who said it now that I think about it.  And it's like... it really bothers me.  Childs is like right up there in the top 10 greatest movie characters ever.  "Which makes you a murderer, don't it?"  Perfect. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

So far, daboyle's project has me the most excited.  A Villenueve Bond movie with that cast sounds legiiiit.

That said, I only know what three of you are doing.  Everyone else: get your stuff in gear and get these hype trains going.

I'm pretty sure more than 3 have revealed what they are doing 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m following what I like to call a Copper precedent.  I’ll explain once I post my movie.  If y’all haven’t seen The Thing, you better watch it before you vote.  

Also following the Palmer/Norris precedents.

You're talking about the one with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, right? That is the good one after all.

16 minutes ago, rackcs said:

You're talking about the one with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, right? That is the good one after all.

I don’t get why people think it gets to me when they talk **** about The Thing.  I know how good it is.  I don’t need to convince anyone how good it is.  

The one with Winstead was painfully alright.  Had a lot of potential, but it devolved into an ordinary monster movie for the final third of the movie.  There were some really good moments, and the CGI wasn’t that bad.  I don’t hate it.  I even own it.  I certainly don’t consider it canon, but I can also make an argument for it being canon and not ruining anything about The Thing.  After all, The Thing could have learned how to FAKE assimilating inorganic material.  

What I like about my version is that they cannot disclose from where the dog came. Therefore, they will not be able to go to a different camp to get any hints or clues about what’s going on and they’ll have to piece it all together out of context while dealing with an otherworldly threat they don’t even know is otherworldly.  They just happen to get really lucky and get a break due to an accident.  It also in no way, shape or form interferes with or changes the classic 82 version as it takes place at exactly the same time.