Is Matt Nagy Ruining Mitch Trubisky?

soulman

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The play itself isn't the problem.  The issue was that Nagy called it on a critical 3rd & 1 with a QB who apparently had a hip injury at that point in the game.  Pretty stupid call considering no?

It would have been a first down if Mitch had actually run/limped at the OLB.

26 minutes ago, G08 said:

So that begs the question: what changed? How can he handle that year one and not handle it year two? 

If I had to guess year 1 (101) under Nagy included a lot of  basic / gimmicky plays to help his young QB and offense out.  Now that the league has had a full year of tape on that (101) Nagy was looking for Mitch and the offense to graduate to 202.  Clearly that didn't appear to work out on many levels different levels including the OL, WRs, TEs, and the QB and now they are apparently back to 25% of the actual playbook.

Obviously QB is the easiest to blame in this situation but why is every other position struggling so bad on offense this year (outside of ARob)?  That is the real question that needs to be asked.  Is this system too complicated for the players we have? Are they not intelligent or talented enough?  Did we overrate the offensive talent as a whole?

Mitch has his deficiencies with throwing the ball and seeing the field but I refuse to believe he's dumb enough to not be able to grasp different offensive concepts.  These guys just cannot execute and appear to be over matched.

Edited by topwop1

54 minutes ago, G08 said:

So that begs the question: what changed? How can he handle that year one and not handle it year two? 

1. A ton of pressure heading into year 2, Bears 100, hie expectations. He cracked.

2. As stated above 101 was a lot of simply gimmick stuff and NFL DCs are not going to fall for it. Now that they are forced to run real stuff he is struggling.

3. WRs and OL came back down to Earth after having really good years last year.

4. NFL DCs now know his critical faults, reading zone and deeper accuracy, and they are giving those to him with no fear and taking away everything else.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Obviously QB is the easiest to blame in this situation but why is every other position struggling so bad on offense this year (outside of ARob)?  That is the real question that needs to be asked.  Is this system too complicated for the players we have? Are they not intelligent or talented enough?  Did we overrate the offensive talent as a whole?

I think the problem is that Nagy's system requires premium talent in order for it to be optimal. I try to compare an offensive system to a car. The problem with Nagy is that he's trying to drive a Ferrari when he only has the parts of a Honda.

The most obvious deficiency is at the level of QB. Mitch simply doesn't compare to talent level of Mahomes, however Reid's system has shown success with lesser caliber QBs and I do believe that Mitch is talented enough to match the production of the Alex Smith's of the world.

Now let's compare the offensive lines. I'd say that KC is about league average at a talent standpoint while I say the Bears are at the bottom 5-8 and hasn't shown any strength at neither the run nor the pass. This makes it much more difficult to execute plays with a lesser QB.

At RB, we might be at a slight advantage. With Montgomery and Cohen I'd give us a B- grade compared to a C- with Damien Williams and McCoy

At WR, we might have decent talent, but we lack elite options. Allen Robinson has been balling out, but he'll never be a superstar #1 WR. Optimally he'd be a 1B in a high powered offense. Along with him we have Miller, Gabriel, and Wims who are good but not jaw dropping. Compare that with the corps of Tyreek Hill (a true burner), Sammy Watkins (a solid #2), and Mecole Hardman (another speed threat), and Demarcus Robinson.

Finally we have TE, we have nobody and they have Travis Kelce (best TE in the league). Not only does this hurt us in the passing game, the fact that we lack a FB makes it way more difficult to generate any kind of consistent offense.

Although Nagy may not be afforded the same amount of talent as Reid has in KC, he really needs to adapt to the talent level around him. We don't need him to put up 30+ points a game. We're just asking him to put up 20 points occasionally which shouldn't be too difficult considering the landscape of the offensively driven NFL in today's era. I would really like to see what Nagy can do with a QB of his choosing but he needs to work with talent around him for the time being.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

All QBs have faults. The problem is that Mitch's [reading defenses, footwork and accuracy] are fatal flaws.

My biggest issue with Mitch is that he doesn't see the field well and go through his progressions.  There are simply too many times where a guy is wide open and he doesn't see him for what should be an easy throw and catch.  He seems like he is predetermining his reads from the start and is locked into one or two guys on every play.

The arm talent and athletic traits are there but the mental part of the game is surely not.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

My biggest issue with Mitch is that he doesn't see the field well and go through his progressions.  There are simply too many times where a guy is wide open and he doesn't see him for what should be an easy throw and catch.  He seems like he is predetermining his reads from the start and is locked into one or two guys on every play.

The arm talent and athletic traits are there but the mental part of the game is surely not.

In college he was largely tasked with run/pass option and then a half field or limited read. It was assumed he could progress beyond that, and it doesn't seem to be the case. 

I don't think Nagy's ideal offense requires the perfect QB, but it does require someone who can analyze a defense and make a quick decision.  Mitch either can't see it, or can't make the right call. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Anyone watch Mahomes last night? Biggest difference I saw is he had some playmakers make plays for him. 

He has a wicked TE and some world class speed receivers, however the comparison isn't that simple.

It's so easy to see that Mahomes is in full command of the offense when he steps up to the line.  He just looks and appears so confident and I don't see that same body language when Mitch gets up there but rather like a dear in the headlights look most of the time.

Mahomes' arm talent is also next level.

Lastly, the guy dislocated his knee just a few weeks back so we can assume he is not playing any where close to full strength right now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He has a wicked TE and some world class speed receivers, however the comparison isn't that simple.

It's so easy to see that Mahomes is in full command of the offense when he steps up to the line.  He just looks and appears so confident and I don't see that same body language when Mitch gets up there but rather like a dear in the headlights look most of the time.

Lastly, the guy dislocated his knee just a few weeks back so we can assume he is not playing any where close to full strength right now.

I'm also jealous of his ability to count people standing in front of him,  it's really special 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Watching Kelce and Hill make plays for him this season made me shake my head. Plus this kid is getting away with falling back in the pocket consistently and getting away with it because of his arm. Don't get me wrong, I loved him coming out of Texas Tech, but I kind of wonder if that approach is sustainable.