Jump to content
BZski

Biggest FA bust so far

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Likewise, I undervalue them - simply because I haven't had many in a while. Ha! xD

I think Texans oline can hold up as a unit for 3 to 4 years. I worry about their dline and Front 7.

Also a true Franchise Runningback would be niceee to get for Watson to have a top 5 top offense. 

Hatedddd the Duke Johnson trade with the loaded 2020 rb class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Texans oline can hold up as a unit for 3 to 4 years. I worry about their dline and Front 7.

I give it longer, Zach Fulton is the oldest guy on that line and he's 28. RG is a spot that can be replaced relatively late, but it's not a huge rush. 

It'll come down to health, and that COULD be a concern with C Nick Martin.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Also a true Franchise Runningback would be niceee to get for Watson to have a top 5 top offense. 

I'm not huge on drafting a RB high unless you have a Saquan-like or McCaffrey-like talent, which is assuredly going top 10.

This being said, I very well could see a RB going early to Houston in round 2-3, contingent on what happens to Hyde after this season; Lamar Miller's contract is coming off the books this season, so you could pay Hyde as a bridge RB, still use Duke Johnson as the swing guy and pick up a 2nd round RB with little effort (if the right guy is there, that is). We're "Clemson South" so to speak, so if Travis Entinne is there in the late 2nd (he won't be) he's the guy. 

Also - with the cost/return on investment on FA RBs, the Texans could find a cheap, productive guy on the open market (similar to Baltimore/Ingram or 49ers/Coleman). Scoring FA to be Derrick Henry would be a twofold hit - an every down power RB who would be scary in an RPO with Watson, and it would cripple a division rival pretty significantly.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Hatedddd the Duke Johnson trade with the loaded 2020 rb class.

I hate the price - 3rd was too much, I agree. But I like what he's doing for this offense, it seems like he's making clutch 3rd down plays in every game. He's fitting our offense pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I give it longer, Zach Fulton is the oldest guy on that line and he's 28. RG is a spot that can be replaced relatively late, but it's not a huge rush. 

It'll come down to health, and that COULD be a concern with C Nick Martin.

I'm not huge on drafting a RB high unless you have a Saquan-like or McCaffrey-like talent, which is assuredly going top 10.

This being said, I very well could see a RB going early to Houston in round 2-3, contingent on what happens to Hyde after this season; Lamar Miller's contract is coming off the books this season, so you could pay Hyde as a bridge RB, still use Duke Johnson as the swing guy and pick up a 2nd round RB with little effort (if the right guy is there, that is). We're "Clemson South" so to speak, so if Travis Entinne is there in the late 2nd (he won't be) he's the guy. 

Also - with the cost/return on investment on FA RBs, the Texans could find a cheap, productive guy on the open market (similar to Baltimore/Ingram or 49ers/Coleman). Scoring FA to be Derrick Henry would be a twofold hit - an every down power RB who would be scary in an RPO with Watson, and it would cripple a division rival pretty significantly.

I hate the price - 3rd was too much, I agree. But I like what he's doing for this offense, it seems like he's making clutch 3rd down plays in every game. He's fitting our offense pretty well.

What picks do you have left early to go rb? You traded a 3rd for Duke and a 3rd for Conley, a first for tunsil as well.

Can't have too many lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What picks do you have left early to go rb? You traded a 3rd for Duke and a 3rd for Conley, a first for tunsil as well.

We have a 2nd, that's still with our board.

We had four projected 3rd round picks: our original pick, the 3rd round pick from Seattle for Jadevion Clowney (that's going to Oakland for Conley) a compensatory 3rd round pick for Tyrann Mathieu and a compensatory 3rd round pick for Kareem Jackson (this could be a 4th, but I'm hearing he's playing VERY well for Denver - which doesn't surprise me, he's a special talent now that he's transitioned to S).

So, we'll still have three picks in the first three rounds - just not very high picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, we'll still have three picks in the first three rounds - just not very high picks.

Yeah Kareem Jackson is worth a 4th for his veteran leadership alone. He's going to mentor our future at that position next year. 

I could see Texans or Denver going after Melvin Gordon simply due to their luxury cap space next year, and two QBs on rookie deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey Flowers is on pace for a career high in sacks and pressures FWIW, and ranks high on PFF in rush defense (if that’s your thing). And he was among the league leaders in pressures last season (top 5 IIRC), so it’s not like his career high in this stat is a small number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 3:27 PM, fortdetroit said:

Trey Flowers is on pace for a career high in sacks and pressures FWIW, and ranks high on PFF in rush defense (if that’s your thing). And he was among the league leaders in pressures last season (top 5 IIRC), so it’s not like his career high in this stat is a small number.

He definitely started out a bit slow but IMO has played extremely well about the last month or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 10:30 AM, ET80 said:

We have a 2nd, that's still with our board.

We had four projected 3rd round picks: our original pick, the 3rd round pick from Seattle for Jadevion Clowney (that's going to Oakland for Conley) a compensatory 3rd round pick for Tyrann Mathieu and a compensatory 3rd round pick for Kareem Jackson (this could be a 4th, but I'm hearing he's playing VERY well for Denver - which doesn't surprise me, he's a special talent now that he's transitioned to S).

So, we'll still have three picks in the first three rounds - just not very high picks.

'Splain me this, ET80, how the heck does Texans only get a 3rd for Clowney and have no problem giving up two 1st's and a 2nd for Tunsil?  :S

must be a contract thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

'Splain me this, ET80, how the heck does Texans only get a 3rd for Clowney and have no problem giving up two 1st's and a 2nd for Tunsil?  :S

must be a contract thing.

Possibly a contract thing. Truth be told, I have no clue. I don't mind the price paid on Tunsil, because he's really improved the entire OL... but Clowney for a 3rd gives me heartburn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell hasn't done anything for the Jets, and this is the RB that wanted top RB pay + WR2 pay all into one, or at least used to anyways.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×