Thoughts and Observations: Lions

WindyCity

Rewatched the game this morning.

Offense

-Trubisky played better than I thought. When the protection was there he looked like he was scanning the field and making throws. He was way more aggressive down the field including 2 deep pass interference calls that won't be on his stat sheet. If he can play like this consistently over the next 7 games then I think the conversation changes from replacement to competition.

-Nagy called a better game. I liked how they used the big package more and they started making better personnel decisions. We started to see Cohen used how he should be used and they were able to isolate guys downfield a fair amount.

-Cornlius Lucas had great game as the big TE, great. I had him down for 3 plus blocks in big situations in limited snaps. He allows the Bears to generate so much more front side push.

-Allen Robinson is a stud.

-Many of the drives that stalled were not on Mitch

Drive 1: Mitch bad 3rd down throw

Drive 2: 2nd down Daniels gets beat in pass pro, Burton jumps for some dumb reason on a conversion throw

Drive 3: Massie penalty, Gabriel drop

Drive 4: Massie worked on a stunt for a sack

Drive 5: TD, exceptional pass pro

Drive 6: TD, 4 straight + plays by the OL

Drive 7: TD

Drive 8: Leno bad pass pro

Drive 9: Massie and Leno both bull rushed right into Trubs

Drive 10: 3 straight bad plays by the OL

Drive 11: All out blitz sack

-Bobbie Massie has regressed from last season back to the inconsistent version from 2017 and before. He had too many negative plays in the run game for a guy who is suppose to be a plus run blocker.

-Whitehair's snaps were a mess, but his blocking remained solid and the line blew very few protections.

-Daniels still has some rough moments, but other than the splash bad plays he was solid in both pass and run.

-Coward might be something, but there are still too many plays where he misses to really start penciling him in.

-Burton is useless. Put him on IR and bring up someone who may have a chance to run a route and not power walk them.

-Montgomery is good. A little too much dancing, but he is a pain in the *** to bring down. Pass blocking is a work in progress.

-Holtz is a keeper. Dude can block.

-Braunecker is way better than Shaheen. No way Shaheen makes that catch and the blocking was obviously better.

• Like 3

Defense

-Goldman is playing hurt. He did not look like his dominant self.

-Nick Williams should be offered a contract extension. He continues to be one of the few consistent pass rushers on the inside.

-RRH has slowed down, but still has a number of nice rushes that he did not finish.

-Roquan seems to be back. He looks night and day to the Raider game and seems to be moving at full speed. With Trevathan out he is going to be even more important.

-I know Kwik is limited but damn does he make a ton of plays and bring a ton of physicality to the defense. Will be interesting to see what happens when people game plan for him in the pass game.

-Floyd needs to do more. He had some nice rushes, but blew contain a couple of times, and has not taken the step I expected based on games 1 and 2.

-Mack has been quiet, but the entire team is blocking him.

-Forgettable day for Kyle Fuller.

-I expected more plays from HHCD and Jackson, but they seem to be super deep and taking away over the top stuff and not being used as aggressively as Jackson was last season. A lot of Jackson's plays last season were when he was in man or a shorter zone and he could jump stuff and run with the ball.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trubisky played better than I thought. When the protection was there he looked like he was scanning the field and making throws. He was way more aggressive down the field including 2 deep pass interference calls that won't be on his stat sheet. If he can play like this consistently over the next 7 games then I think the conversation changes from replacement to competition.

I appreciate you being honest. This was the best he played all season. He was reading the field well and was decisive with his throws. Wasn't second guessing himself, was trusting what he saw, and was putting the ball on the money. He's got work to do, but this is progress.

34 minutes ago, G08 said:

I appreciate you being honest. This was the best he played all season. He was reading the field well and was decisive with his throws. Wasn't second guessing himself, was trusting what he saw, and was putting the ball on the money. He's got work to do, but this is progress.

I hope Trubisky succeeds but i will believe it more if he has a good game against Wade and the Rams. He had a poor game against the Rams last year. It would be great if he shows progress against the Rams compared to 2018. Trubisky torched the Lions both games the last 2 seasons. If Trubisky could have 5 out of 7 games with a QB rating over 100 to end the season then it would be great going into 2020.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

I hope Trubisky succeeds but i will believe it more if he has a good game against Wade and the Rams. He had a poor game against the Rams last year. It would be great if he shows progress against the Rams compared to 2018. Trubisky torched the Lions both games the last 2 seasons. If Trubisky could have 5 out of 7 games with a QB rating over 100 to end the season then it would be great going into 2020.

I agree man, he needs to do it again against Wade and the Rams. What interested me was listening to Nagy talk after the game and say that they expected the Lions to play man-to-man defense. Last year against the Rams, they expected them to play zone (because they did that 99% of the time that year), they came out in man and Mitch wasn't ready. Curious what happens this week, and even more curious to see if the Rams do something unexpected if Mitch will be able to react rather than freeze up.

Mitch needs to string a lot of these games together for me to move off my position.

The Lions are a bad defense and the Bears while being better still massively underperformed compared to what teams are doing against the Lions.

But of the 8 non scoring drives, I only felt like he was a major contributor in 3.

• Like 1

Burton is useless. Put him on IR and bring up someone who may have a chance to run a route and not power walk

Power walk his routes.  I got this image of a couple in matching blue outfits and small hand weights.  Made me giggle.

And speaking of ... what's with men who get all dressed up in a Tour de France pro outfit to ride their bike a few miles?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Mitch needs to string a lot of these games together for me to move off my position.

The Lions are a bad defense and the Bears while being better still massively underperformed compared to what teams are doing against the Lions.

But of the 8 non scoring drives, I only felt like he was a major contributor in 3.

It certainly didn't look like two playoff teams on the field.  It looked like two bad teams who happened to be playing each other.