Take-Aways & Analysis of Play + Coaching from Steelers Game (Non-Garrett Talk)

Mind Character

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker was off, there may have been some confusion on some of the routes but since Baker was off I'm just putting it all on him. We have to break 2 tackles to get a run back to the LOS, that isn't going to work as a run first team so we probably can't be a run first team until we fix our line.

The thing people keep forgetting is we’ve played some really good defenses the past few games and we’re showing signs of improvement. 

12 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Offensively we should be better with our receivers by now

Amari Cooper got to the cowboys and instantly started balling. 

Odell has been here all season and looks like he just got here 

Yeah I’d love to know what’s up with that because those two have been soooo off.

12 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I hope we can get Njocku back 

He’d be a help in the red zone for sure.

27 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

The thing people keep forgetting is we’ve played some really good defenses the past few games and we’re showing signs of improvement. 

Yeah as bad as the Steelers offense is, their defense is still top notch, as is Buffalo’s.

Our offense has actually played fairly well the last two weeks when you factor in the quality of the opposing defense.

I’s go so far as to say I’m more encouraged by what I saw offensively than defensively last night.  @Mind Character wasnt lying, Mason Rudolph is BAAAAAAD. As great as the stats and such look, I’m not sure there’s much I can take from it.  The offense moved the ball well, scored some points and didn’t turn the ball over against a very good defense.  That’s encouraging.

• Like 3

My biggest takeaway is that even when we beat Pittsburgh who is on a pretty good run, our head coach still sucks to the fan base and people can’t enjoy success (outside of how the game ended).

Baker is playing better, though still not in sync with some of the guys out there. Hunt looks good out of the backfield and will hopefully get a few more chances on the ground. Some random fourth receiver looked good out there, and a no name TE made a good first catch. Defense played exceptional, with Joe Schobert leading the charge. Nothing to complain about in this one, enjoy it and let’s carry it towards Miami.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

My biggest takeaway is that even when we beat Pittsburgh who is on a pretty good run, our head coach still sucks to the fan base and people can’t enjoy success (outside of how the game ended).

Some folks have some serious butt frustration when it comes to Freddie.

First season where we beat both Pitt and Bal and some folks are champing at the bit to get rid of the HC.

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Baker is playing better, though still not in sync with some of the guys out there. Hunt looks good out of the backfield and will hopefully get a few more chances on the ground. Some random fourth receiver looked good out there, and a no name TE made a good first catch. Defense played exceptional, with Joe Schobert leading the charge. Nothing to complain about in this one, enjoy it and let’s carry it towards Miami.

Losing Garrett for a senseless act with 8 seconds left is something to complain about, but yeah, enjoy it.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Some folks have some serious butt frustration when it comes to Freddie.

First season where we beat both Pitt and Bal and some folks are champing at the bit to get rid of the HC.

Losing Garrett for a senseless act with 8 seconds left is something to complain about, but yeah, enjoy it.

Yeah, I guess aside from the obvious. The actual gameplay was a positive step.

• Like 1

-Defense was outstanding, our corners are becoming our strength

-Pass rush outside of Garrett is a concern

-Teller is bad

-Our linebacker corp is will be a strength moving forward

-I love the energy our RBs have, the complement each other really well

-Baker was good in the first half and was bad in the 2nd half, I was really down on him in the second half, in order for us to move to the next level we need to be able do simple things like convert simple 3rd and mid to longs on a regular basis. His comments on Garrett post game really concern me, you should never take a public platform to throw a guy under the bus and he has done this multiple times, not a fan of this at all.

- OL was ok

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Eh, Allen and Rudolph aren’t great measuring sticks.

And it’s a much bigger concern now.  Hopefully Vernon can return for MIA.

-Teller is bad

Yeah man, real bad.

Agreed.

-Baker was good in the first half and was bad in the 2nd half, I was really down on him in the second half, in order for us to move to the next level we need to be able do simple things like convert simple 3rd and mid to longs on a regular basis. His comments on Garrett post game really concern me, you should never take a public platform to throw a guy under the bus and he has done this multiple times, not a fan of this at all.

Disagree.  Obvious is obvious and what Garrett did was obviously wrong.  I don’t think he threw him under the bus tbh.  Garret threw himself under the bus with the buffoonery and Baker just acknowledged that it happened.

You only need eyes to know Myles went too far.  No need to pretend otherwise because “teammates”.

- OL was ok

All things considered, yeah, but we need some talent there.

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-Teller is bad

- OL was ok

Disagree with those two points. Baker said the right thing. It's not like he insulted Myles or called him names - he just said what he did was unacceptable which is obviously true.

Our OL was awful. Baker just did a good job at avoiding pressure last night, but he was constantly on the run and had pressure in his face after nearly every snap. Like I've said, Pittsburgh's front seven will do that to a lot of OLs, but they were straight up bad last night just like they've been all season anytime they face a team with an above average pass rush.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Disagree.  Obvious is obvious and what Garrett did was obviously wrong.  I don’t think he threw him under the bus tbh.  Garret threw himself under the bus with the buffoonery and Baker just acknowledged that it happened.

You only need eyes to know Myles went too far.  No need to pretend otherwise because “teammates

I agree that Garrett threw himself under the bus, I perceived that interview after the game as an opportunity to gain some brownie points as a leader on a national stage. I just think he violated a locker room code, and tried to use the situation to prop himself up. I definitely could be wrong but that was my initial take when I saw it. I was really turned off by it.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I agree that Garrett threw himself under the bus, I perceived that interview after the game as an opportunity to gain some brownie points as a leader on a national stage. I just think he violated a locker room code, and tried to use the situation to prop himself up. I definitely could be wrong but that was my initial take when I saw it. I was really turned off by it.

It’s a tough spot for Baker to be in.

Say nothing and the media and fans criticize you for not being a leader and making teammates be accountable, etc.

Say something and you’re throwing people under the bus.

He’s have been better off just saying he didn’t see it and wouldn’t want to comment on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Disagree with those two points. Baker said the right thing. It's not like he insulted Myles or called him names - he just said what he did was unacceptable which is obviously true.

Our OL was awful. Baker just did a good job at avoiding pressure last night, but he was constantly on the run and had pressure in his face after nearly every snap. Like I've said, Pittsburgh's front seven will do that to a lot of OLs, but they were straight up bad last night just like they've been all season anytime they face a team with an above average pass rush.

Which is true but a true leader will always think about how his words will affect the locker room dynamic. I don't think he did that, he just shot from the hip

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Which is true but a true leader will always think about how his words will affect the locker room dynamic. I don't think he did that, he just shot from the hip

There has to be some accountability for this stuff though.

Garrett hurt the team with this.  We had 3 ejections last night.  That hurts the team.

At some point someone has to stop defending the behavior and say enough is enough.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s a tough spot for Baker to be in.

Say nothing and the media and fans criticize you for not being a leader and making teammates be accountable, etc.

Say something and you’re throwing people under the bus.

He’s have been better off just saying he didn’t see it and wouldn’t want to comment on it.

This, or we just got a big win Heather (or whatever her name is) I just want to enjoy our accomplishment.