PS4; Madden Fantasy League: Starting

biggio7

I just played quite possibly the weirdest game of Madden ever. Justin Herbert is having a great season. Prior to this game, he had a 68% completion percentage, 23 TDs, and 8 INTs. The game starts with an 80-yard draw play TD on a draw play. The next drive is also very promising, with Larry Fitzgerald single-handedly accumulating 48 receiving yards and James White adding another 12 or so rushing yards. Ultimately, Jordan Reed drops a pass on third down so we kick a field goal inside the 15. Still a very strong drive and this offense is on fire. After that, everything goes to heck. 

Justin Herbert completes 3 of 18 passes for the entire remainder of the game - and all three are on jet passes - handoffs that count toward passing instead of rushing. Otherwise, every single pass attempt gets an "inaccurate" result. And not just the ones that say inaccurate but are maybe a yard off target. I'm talking sailing a pass fifteen yards beyond a wide-open Jordan Reed. Or a completion to Chris Conley deep down the sideline... Out of bounds. And it's not like Justin Herbert is inaccurate. At this point, he's a 75 overall with 88 short accuracy, 84 medium, and 83 deep. And he's been stellar over the course of the whole season. After I've decided that I've had enough, I switch him out and put in Jordan Ta'Amu.

By now, I'm already losing 10-31 in the second half. With Ta'Amu, it's the same exact story. Now, Jordan Ta'Amu isn't exactly the most accurate QB in the league. He just upgraded to a 54 this sim, and his accuracy ratings are 74 short, 72 medium, and 68 deep. So I'm not expecting him to be much better than a broken Justin Herbert who's completed exactly 0 real passes since his first drive throwing the football. But no. It's more of the same. And I'm doing EXTREMELY QB friendly passing concepts at this point. I'm running lots of meshes, Texas, slants, hitches, you name it. The passes are going straight out of bounds for four plays in a row and we have a turnover on downs. I'm not even bulleting them.

So I decide to try a bullet pass on the next drive. I throw a bullet to Larry Legend who breaks Briean Boddy-Calhoun's ankles BADLY on a hitch, and what does the football do? Now, I'm reading the screen. It says "Bullet pass - Accurate." I know that it's going to Larry Fitzgerald because I SPECIFICALLY pressed square. So where does the football go? The football - which is clearly going through a LOBBED animation - goes sailing twenty yards downfield into Earl Thomas's arms. There's not even a receiver further than 7 yards downfield. This was the empty all hitches play. Five guys all running 3-7 yards and turning around. And Early Thomas is a single high safety WAY far away from the play. The pass says Bullet, it says it's accurate, but the result is an inaccurate lob pass that is hilariously off target. 

I continue, now pretty upset, but I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I'm not even trying to win at this point. I've abandoned the run entirely. I'm trying to just see why passing isn't working at all. So I continue. For the rest of the game, though, even WITH trying a wide variety of easy passing concepts, wide-open looks, and a defense that's out of position and most of these plays, no QB on my team completes a pass. The closest thing that we get is the completed jet pass, but your punter will have a 100% completion percentage on those plays, as they are literally counted as handoffs by the computer, just not in the stats. Even the commentary reflects that they're handoffs. 

I'm very annoyed by this. It was SUCH a weird game. I wasn't expecting Ta'Amu to be very good, but surely he'd be able to complete at least ONE throw. And as for Herbert, this guy has 88 short accuracy. Why isn't he completing any short throws after that single drive? And like I said, these guys are wide open on a lot of these throws. 

I'm befuddled. 

• Like 3

Damn, kind of disappointed Mike Hall is only a Star development. Had thoughts of not upgrading him at all for like 4 years, just piling up the XP, then when Herbert left for free agency because he is probably gonna ask for like a billion dollars, I could sign Hall on the cheap because he'd still be like a 73 overall. Lock him in and then use all the XP on him and BAM he's now a 95 overall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Damn, kind of disappointed Mike Hall is only a Star development. Had thoughts of not upgrading him at all for like 4 years, just piling up the XP, then when Herbert left for free agency because he is probably gonna ask for like a billion dollars, I could sign Hall on the cheap because he'd still be like a 73 overall. Lock him in and then use all the XP on him and BAM he's now a 95 overall. 

Your corner is a XFactor though. That's pretty sweet and I think Herbert is doing fine for you. haha

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Use XP on someone?