Week #12 GDT Steelers 5-5 vs. Bengals 0-10

Steeler Hitman

7ecd0153e4c869fc05c80ca29f427257--steele

Walking around with the black-eye the Browns gave us!

beef_bandage.jpg

What are we gonna do Steelers Nation?

Steelers-Bengals.jpg

What: Steelers at the Bengals      When: Sunday, November 24, 2019 @ 1 pm

Where: Paul Brown Stadium         Cincinnati, Ohio

Records: Steelers hold edge 65-35-0 including: 9 straight wins and 2-0 in play-off games

063_PreWk01_Bucs-1200x600.jpg

Offense: We haven't seen nearly enough of this in 2019 (celebrating a TD pass to a WR or anyone else for that matter).

1. Teams will defer the opening kick to see the Steelers offense fizzle the first few drives. A fast offensive start would help set the tone for a game (especially on the road).   The Steelers are typically playing catch up and this has been a regular occurrence all year.

2. The honeymoon is over Mason. Mason has to step his game up.  The offense has been lethargic, predictable and inconsistent. I realize he is essentially a rookie, but he has started a handful of games and been around for a year. He unfortunately does not get to have a Terry Bradshaw like learning curve (4 - 5 years). You can't turn the ball over. You need to be intentional, methodical and consistent.  A punt may not be a bad thing always. Live for another down and series if nothing is there.

3. OL you guys have to step up. For an OL boasting three pro bowl participants, you are getting your butts kicked in the ground game. The pass protection has been solid, good or average, but the rushing attack has been below average most of the year. 

4. Mason and the OL have to help one another.  Mason needs to throw better and it will prevent opposing defenses from putting nine and ten players in the box because they do not respect the passing attack. Mason has to make them pay. Consequently the OL has to help Mason by consistently getting him in some decent down in distance situations.

5. Convert third and fourth and short.  Not being able to consistently convert plays of one yard or less is unsatisfactory. You cannot consistently win like that.  This is a huge difference between being 5-5 and 6-4, 7-3 or even 8-2.  The defense has kept the Steelers in all games until getting worn down or plagued with having to defend from offensive turnovers.  Steelers are the worst in the entire NFL at converting third and fourth and short.

usatsi_10460229.jpg?w=1000&h=804

Defense: What was believed to be the team's Achilles Heel going into 2019 has become its foundation, strength and heartbeat. 

1. Let Vince Williams play more.  I will do another post on my thoughts on Mark Barron's play thus far. While we may lose something in team speed inside, I think the Steelers gain something in grit, intimidation, physicality and performance.  Team Williams and Bush inside. Let Bush cover and Williams blitz when possible. Barron appears to be around every key pass completion for first down or TD.  Sometmes the effort does npt always appear to be there either. Let Barron come off the bench.

2. Keep your heads up.  The Steelers defense was not as dominant and took some heat in early losses to New England and Seattle.  Truthfully the Steelers offense did not support them, particularly early in both games that allowed both opponents to gain momentum and wear down the defense by keeping them  on the field more than 60% of the time. Don't let this divide the team or create finger pointing.

3, Keep rotating Hilton and Cam as the Nickel Back. Mike Hilton is like an undersized SS. He plays the run well and I am impressed with his tackling inside of the box. However, he stillis a bit of a liability in coverage (not sure why because he played the pass very well two years ago).  Cam has improved in coverage, so use him in passing situations unless you are going to blitz Hilton.  Cam is clearly the better coverage option between the two.

4. Have to control the LOS on defense. I think the Steelers did a decent job of containing the Browns ground attack. They will be facing a very RB in Joe Mixon.  D-Line needs to impose its will on the Bengls and force them into obvious passing situations.

5. Pass rush will need to set the tone. One of the differences in last weeks loss was the fact that the Steelers allowed the Browns to convert some third downs. The pass rush was active, but did not get to Baker last week enough. A strong pass rush will go a long way in helping the offense get good field position and give them more opportunities. Hopefully the Bengals defense makes some mistakes as well. We need huge games from TJ, Bud and company.

logo-registration-procedure-500x500.jpg

Analysis and prediction: A reverse of last season's finale when the Bengals had most of their starters healing in the M.A.S.H. Unit . Steelers offense will be without Marquise Pouncey and probably without Ju Ju, Conners and Dionte J.  The offense is already bad with them and can be outright pathetic without those top players.The Bengals would love nothing more than to get their first win against a hobbling opponent that has embarrassed and dominated them over the years a la Cleveland last week. I don't think winning will be easy or pretty for the Steelers.  The Steelers defense bounces back, sets the table and even clears it and washes the dishes for the offense..... Steelers over Bengals 19 - 9.

Beautiful Ladies:

1ae399c5f915d041b49a472e8bc1aa82.jpg

12e85ee4b5cf3d3c23744cee09c49e5a.jpg

33f36544ec834016e9e9fd47fc6db52a.jpg

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I expect that Juju, Johnson and Conner WILL be out. Deon Cain will act as the #2 or 3 WR. Tevin Jones in the other spot of course.

Keryth with be the new kick returner. 

There is a real chance we could lose this game....having said that...31-17 Pittsburgh 

I think their coach is a real issue, so no way we lose this game unless Mason keeps throwing IN'ts AND is left in the game.  I expect the DL to feast this time, rebound from a tired looking game last week on short  rest. Bud and Watt should have a game. Of course so will Hargrave and Heyward.

2 hours ago, August4th said:

expecting a ugly boring game. hopefully we outscore the bengals in the end

I could see this, these games aren't good usually. It would be better if they realigned, and have a battle of Pennsylvania  instead of Ohio. 

5 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

We will lose if we turn it over 3 or 4 times.

If Rudolph struggles early bring in the Duck in his two appearances he has looked much more comfortable than Rudolph.

I'd probably just leave Rudolph out there and give him experience. Duck is probably nothing more than our future #3. May as well see what Rudolph has to offer and how he reacts to the bad times as well as the good. It's not like our season is going to amount to anything. I'm just happy we won some games so we most likely aren't giving the Phins a top 10 pick.

• Like 1

Good job @Steeler Hitman... nice set up.  I'll take #2, BTW.

Connor, Juju and DJ are inactive.  Pounce loses his appeal and Finney starts at C.

Rudolph will play and feast on the Bengals.  We will try to get a running game going with Samuels and it will have mixed results as the Bengals pack the box.  Rudolph will hit some big plays as Fichner simplifies the playbook and he hits JW on some deep routes, and hits Cain on a couple of bombs.  With the burners of Cain and JW on the outside, Vance has some big gains up the seam.

By the 4th quarter, we are burning the clock out and trying to get Samuels and the other backs some burn.

Defense has a great day again... Dupree/Watt get the rookie QB on the ground a number of times.

31-3 Steelers.

27 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Good job @Steeler Hitman... nice set up.  I'll take #2, BTW.

Connor, Juju and DJ are inactive.  Pounce loses his appeal and Finney starts at C.

Rudolph will play and feast on the Bengals.  We will try to get a running game going with Samuels and it will have mixed results as the Bengals pack the box.  Rudolph will hit some big plays as Fichner simplifies the playbook and he hits JW on some deep routes, and hits Cain on a couple of bombs.  With the burners of Cain and JW on the outside, Vance has some big gains up the seam.

By the 4th quarter, we are burning the clock out and trying to get Samuels and the other backs some burn.

Defense has a great day again... Dupree/Watt get the rookie QB on the ground a number of times.

31-3 Steelers.

I hope you're right. 

• Like 1