POSITIONS OF ABSOLUTE NEED: 2020 TEs

dll2000

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Outside of Austin Hooper the free agent class this year does not excite me.

The draft has some nice 2nd round options, but it dries up pretty quickly.

Looks like a 2nd round or bust position.

Pace was spotted at the OSU-Michigan game and it was assumed he was scouting TEs.

4 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Pace was spotted at the OSU-Michigan game and it was assumed he was scouting TEs.

Neither Ohio State or Michigan have a TE worth taking in the first 4 rounds, imo. I'd assume he was scouting in general. Ohio State has a ton of future pros and Michigan, on that front, isn't too shabby either.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

You know what makes the Shaheen pick look so bad?

To upgrade from him you can randomly throw a dart at over sized Ivy league TEs or Redskins cast offs.

It really is incredible and just goes to show that measurables, while a factor, are not the end-all-be-all. There is no test to measure how bad a guy "wants it". You have to have the guy in front of you, you have to talk to him, watch him play, and see how he reacts to coaching. Which is exactly why Pace should cut out all the deception and subterfuge out of the scouting process. If you think a guy might be a football player for this team, go and get him in front of you.

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Horstead and Holtz we have TEs with a pulse. 

Holtz has versatility as he can also play FB too. A FB that can block and catch is a big plus. 

I know Nagy says he doesn't want to run a lot of I formation but if it works then that is another wrinkle to add to his plan. 

• Like 1

Horstead has kind of an 'It' factor.  You could see it in Summer whenever he got a shot.  

Surprised it's taken coaches this long to see it.  

Maybe Bears got lucky and found a couple of TEs at bottom of roster.  Still need depth and probably an upgrade.  

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Holtz has versatility as he can also play FB too. A FB that can block and catch is a big plus. 

I know Nagy says he doesn't want to run a lot of I formation but if it works then that is another wrinkle to add to his plan. 

This is a big reason why the Ravens and the 49ers are winning with their run game. When these teams are trotting out 6 offensive lineman, multiple tight end sets, and/or a fullback, most teams don't have a front 7 that can compete with their size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

This is a big reason why the Ravens and the 49ers are winning with their run game. When these teams are trotting out 6 offensive lineman, multiple tight end sets, and/or a fullback, most teams don't have a front 7 that can compete with their size.

You don’t have to run the I.  There is a LOT you can do with and a FB or 2nd backfield player in this type of offense.  

You can line up anywhere off the line of scrimmage tackle to tackle and get to where you want to go after snap or motion.  You can even line up outside box if you think you have match up.

Its basically a move blocker/receiver depending on your need.   

BUT if FB/U/Y/H CAN’t block or can’t receive obviously they can be ignored in those capacities.   So it takes a type.  

The value of it is as 2019 Bears have shown repeatedly to our detriment is teams and DCs can fairly easily shut down running attack of a single back set with 7 box defenders.  Even if blockers were great they could.  It kinda sucks Nagy is taking so long to understand that.

You have to have that move blocker if they aren’t scared of downfield passing to extent they will pull a defender out of box. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

And to top out off when you have a mammoth tackle you can use TEs to chip EDGE in to them too, all but eliminating speed rushers. 

Intelligent coaching can take advantage of physical superiority (strength,  size,  anchor ability, arm length) while while helping to work around limitations (quickness, agility).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okwuegbunam or Hunter Bryant (unfortunately 'Bryant' isn't good enough because Harrison Bryant from FAU is another top 100 pick) in round 2

Okwuegbunam reminds me of Eric Ebron. Hunter Bryant reminds me of Evan Engram. Harrison Bryant reminds me of Austin Hooper.

Hooper or Henry in FA (no to Ebron - he drops a ton of passes & if Frank Reich's calling you a soft quitter, I'll pass)

Edited by beardown3231

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Okwuegbunam or Hunter Bryant (unfortunately 'Bryant' isn't good enough because Harrison Bryant from FAU is another top 100 pick) in round 2

Okwuegbunam reminds me of Eric Ebron. Hunter Bryant reminds me of Evan Engram. Harrison Bryant reminds me of Austin Hooper.

Hooper or Henry in FA (no to Ebron - he drops a ton of passes & if Frank Reich's calling you a soft quitter, I'll pass)

TE is tough to learn in this league, let alone this system, which is why I'm fairly confident we're going to throw $$$ at Henry or Hooper.

I'd lean Henry if I had my choice

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

TE is tough to learn in this league, let alone this system, which is why I'm fairly confident we're going to throw $$$ at Henry or Hooper.

I'd lean Henry if I had my choice

Maybe they go Henry or Hooper and then use their 4 or a 5 on another.

I would agree on Henry. He's really good if he stays healthy.

Despite good numbers I've never been ultra impressed with Hooper. I could be wrong.

Edited by beardown3231