Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

All DL are engaged in blocks and some of them double teamed. I'm not sure what more you can ask from them. I just think the gap responsibility is confusing for them. All year long all we heard from Pettine and LaFleur is "need to maintain our gap responsibilities." That shouldnt be something you hammer home, it's like second nature, I have this gap. Getting blown out by a better OL is one thing, not going to your gap is another. It shouldn't be complicated. The whole thing Pettine's done with his LBs in the past where EDGE players crash inside and ILBs loop out to contain is just dumb. A lot of his run package is dumb and I wouldn't keep him on unless I had a heart to heart with him and he agreed to spend the off-season in kind of a McCarthy "reflection" period and come to mini camp with some better methods for run fits.

Lowry and Lancaster are not good enough, I do agree. I'm just not sure if you put two league average DL next to Clark like a Jarran Reed, that things get much better with this system.

This team was beaten 3 times this season and had couple of near loss games.  How about the D coaching staff take a look and see how those teams played them?  If Pettine can't figure it out … bye bye.  If it's players not being good enough - get some.  If it's the coaching not figuring it out - change it.  If it's a combo - do both.  It's a simplistic thought process but in reality what isn't true?  There's some thinking and planning for sure that has to be done to get things moving in the right direction.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, if he wants 10 mil you thank him for his contributions to the Packers and move on.  We need more athletic linebackers who can cover and have the athletic skills to get around blockers.  Beef up the Dline and it makes life for the linebackers much easier.

In Blake's eyes, he is “among the best inside linebackers in the league and will seek to be compensated accordingly.” https://theathletic.com/852139/2019/03/05/cohen-what-was-learned-about-the-packers-offseason-at-the-nfl-combine/ According to Ryan Wood of the GB Press Gazette, Martinez may be seeking $10M a year on his next deal.

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

In Blake's eyes, he is “among the best inside linebackers in the league and will seek to be compensated accordingly.” https://theathletic.com/852139/2019/03/05/cohen-what-was-learned-about-the-packers-offseason-at-the-nfl-combine/ According to Ryan Wood of the GB Press Gazette, Martinez may be seeking $10M a year on his next deal.

Get DL 1st through fa/draft and plug in whatever LB after that.  This year the Packers must have led the league in tackles 5 yards or more past the line of scrimmage.  They sure as heck did last game … 100 yards of running backs not being touched from line of scrimmage is atrocious. 

33 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I totally get 10 mil won't get 2 guys but it'll sure as heck help get 1 very good one.  Take the money those jags are getting now, put together 10 mil (or more) from Martinez going elsewhere and it's manageable.  If they can keep Martinez for less than that, fine.  They still need 2 better than jag guys for this team to improve.  They can mamby pamby along and waste what's left of Rodgers last few years or put forth a little more than normal expenditures for a super bowl run.  You just saw what a very good D line can do.  There are those on this forum who think plug and play inside lb's are fine if your DL is lights out.  You either have great  DL and jag LB or jag DL and great LB.  Which one is best is open for debate.  One thing for sure … can't go on the way it is. 

10 million isn't getting you a very good defensive lineman in 2019.

Whether you would rather have JAG ILB or JAG DL isn't up for debate. Not even remotely close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Agree but Martinez is going to want/get more than 10 million a year.  Take that money and get at least 2 DL that aren't jags.  For this team to get better they can't go into next year without at least 2 more talented guys on the DL.  Anything less than that and I don't care who is our interior LB is, the run D will suck.  Get those guys ... if Pettine can't figure out how to use them better than this last bunch .. goodbye.  

Is there another team out there that will fork over 10 million to Martinez?   He's a decent LB but is he worth that kind of coin?  I doubt it...

Man, I really hope Blake goes somewhere else.  If he does, it means that he will get a great offer, which might help us get a compensatory pick for him depending on how we do free agency.  It will also mean that people will be forced to STFU about Martinez.

Who am I kidding?  People still haven't STFU about Hawk. 

• Like 2

It’s 2073.  The Packers win a Super Bowl.  An ILB who was drafted in the 6th round makes a tackle for a loss on a goal line stand to win the game.

TheOnlyThing with his last dying breath in full “Rosebud” form whispers, “Blake Martinez...”

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Whether you would rather have JAG ILB or JAG DL isn't up for debate. Not even remotely close.

Z + Preston was 13 mil this year.

10 mil cap hit could buy you the best DL on the market.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Man, I really hope Blake goes somewhere else.  If he does, it means that he will get a great offer, which might help us get a compensatory pick for him depending on how we do free agency.  It will also mean that people will be forced to STFU about Martinez.

Who am I kidding?  People still haven't STFU about Hawk. 

I'm excited to see who we draft at ILB this year. Poor bastard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Didn't say it would …  it will help get one … didn't say that's all we'd spend for one.  Agree they need DL and it's not remotely close.

For the record, I am getting all of my prospect names from the custom Madden draft class.  That dude is a hero for manually creating all those players.  Anyway, seems to be a few 1st-2nd round ILBs available this draft.  That, I think, is where the value is best.

Danny Trevathan is also the free agent I like the most.  I’m not crazy about speed at ILB.  I just want someone who is a little more aggressive and stronger than Martinez.