Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

14 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

How did Fackrell get on the field more than Gary? He has to be a ton better than him vs the run, and setting the edge. 

Because Gary often makes the same bad read there. That wasn't a play about setting the edge physically, it was recognizing the read post snap and filling the correct gap. 

15 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

How did Fackrell get on the field more than Gary? He has to be a ton better than him vs the run, and setting the edge. 

Considering Gary had more sacks than Fackrell with this season with far less playing time, (Kyler had just 1 sack in his 415 snaps, Gary only had 244 snaps), there was always little chance Fackrell would return to the team in 2020, and Fackrell has never been known for setting the edge, why he continued to get so much more time than Gary is an excellent question. 

10 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Considering Gary had more sacks than Fackrell with this season with far less playing time, (Kyler had just 1 sack in his 415 snaps, Gary only had 244 snaps), there was always little chance Fackrell would return to the team in 2020, and Fackrell has never been known for setting the edge, why he continued to get so much more time than Gary is an excellent question. 

Because Gary was ******* terrible as a pass rusher.

Fackrell had 3 Hurries/7 Knockdowns/1 sack

Gary had 2 Hurries/1 Knockdown/2 sacks

Fackrell played more snaps, but he also dropped into coverage way more, something that Gary never did. He also played a ton more standard snaps where Gary played almost exclusively in the pressure package. His pass rushing efficiency should have been remarkable considering his usage. It was terrible. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because Gary often makes the same bad read there. That wasn't a play about setting the edge physically, it was recognizing the read post snap and filling the correct gap. 

It's just frustrating when you see a guy like that ahead of your top pick make a mistake like that. I understand Gary could make the same mistake, but the guy needed playing time. I have to wonder if they screwed up and stunted his growth this year by relying on Fackrell infront of him which wouldn't be much better than Gary.

26 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It's just frustrating when you see a guy like that ahead of your top pick make a mistake like that. I understand Gary could make the same mistake, but the guy needed playing time. I have to wonder if they screwed up and stunted his growth this year by relying on Fackrell infront of him which wouldn't be much better than Gary.

Packers staff said a couple times it was their goal to keep his snaps down. They seemed to think low snaps are good for development.

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, he should have his left shoulder on the left shoulder of the pulling guard. He needs to be a step and a half further upfield with his right arm free to the outside

That forces the RB to cut between the pulling guard and the outside blocker, right where Martinez was going.

So you don't want him to contain the edge on that play, so the RB can get to the outside and walk into the end zone just like he did? Because that's exactly what I said he failed at. 

You know what @Norm and I are sick of?  People saying, “We need speed!” at ILB and then wanting us to go out and sign slow crap inside linebackers who look good because of the defense they’re on.

What do Trevathan, Kwiatkoski and Littleton all have in common?  Onwasur ran his .09 seconds faster.

Being slower than Blake Martinez.  Not just 40, but 3 cone and shuttle, too.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/blake-martinez?id=2555161

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nick-kwiatkoski?id=2555288

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Trevathan

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cory-littleton?id=2555524

@packfanfb, @TheOnlyThing.  You’ve been proven time and time again that the mistakes you think are on Martinez are not on Martinez.  TOT, you yourself were a fan of Martinez before Pettine.  You got into this epic argument with @AlexGreen#20 acting like you were sooooooo right because you swore up and down Martinez was soooooo much better than Hawk and Ryan and now AG is the one defending Martinez and you’re acting like he’s some grandpa on life support.  

Please, the two of you, quit acting like Littleton or Kwiatkoski or Trevathan or anybody available is some miracle plug and play improvement over Martinez.  They’re not.  There are probably 6 inside linebackers in the league that are clear and obvious improvements over Martinez. Sure there are probably 10 that are clearly better in pass coverage, and sure there are probably 10 that are clearly better in run support, but there ain’t 7 clearly better at both and none of them are available, all of them cost a significant draft pick to acquire, and for every one of them there have been two busts.  Just like Foster, Stephone Anthony, Oren Burkes and on and on and on.  

This is a league of 32 teams.  When this league of 32 teams has approximately 32 starting inside linebackers and you have one somewhere in that 15-20 range on a defensive scheme that does him no favors, complaining about him relentlessly is stupid.

I am 100% for saving money and trying to get more out of the position for less, but I know that likely means sacrificing some speed for veteran awareness (Trevathan) or using high draft capital to get it.  

And Littleton sucks.  A little easy to be ILB when you know that there won’t be a single play in the game where Donald isn’t doubled.  He ain’t getting that luxury here, and if he came here and Blake went there you’d be thinking, “Damn, Blake got leg transplants cuz he fast.”

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Thanks for posting that play, I've been on the where the heck is Dean Lowry bandwagon too. I didn't like that signing then of him and I like it even less now. 

That play alone is why we needed to fire Pettine, extend Kenny, and overhaul the DL and ILB position...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Thanks for posting that play, I've been on the where the heck is Dean Lowry bandwagon too. I didn't like that signing then of him and I like it even less now. 

We've already established Fackrell blew contain on that. Martinez not making up for Fackrell's screw up by making a superstar play doesn't make that his fault.