Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

19 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Also, "Let's drop Linsley because..." the disrespect to OL hurts.

I don't think people are advocating releasing Corey Linsley for the hell of it.  He's got a cap hit north of $10M, and there's an extra ~$8M saved by releasing him.  If you believe they can find a similar-caliber player in FA or the draft, is that $8M better used on another position?  That's a legitimate question to ask.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I don't think people are advocating releasing Corey Linsley for the hell of it.  He's got a cap hit north of $10M, and there's an extra ~$8M saved by releasing him.  If you believe they can find a similar-caliber player in FA or the draft, is that $8M better used on another position?  That's a legitimate question to ask.

Guess what... They still need to shut up about it.  NPCs everywhere here.  No perspective club. 

Linsley is getting paid the 15th most for a center.  14th most if you do average yearly salary. 

Some really stupid people out there thinking there are cheaper options at center. 

https://overthecap.com/position/center/

What are your options at center?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/center/

You're not "saving 8 million by cutting Linsley."  That's like going black Friday shopping and saying you saved 200 dollars on a 1,000 dollar TV.  You haven't saved ****, you just spent 1,000 dollars.

You cut Linsley and you're either paying 6 million for a worse center or you're using a draft pick to replace him, which is a draft pick that you don't get to use to improve a different position. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

You're not "saving 8 million by cutting Linsley."  That's like going black Friday shopping and saying you saved 200 dollars on a 1,000 dollar TV.  You haven't saved ****, you just spent 1,000 dollars.

Except $8M isn't chump change.  And it doesn't really explain why the Packers would extend Lucas Patrick.  He's started 6 games in 3 years, and while the money itself isn't much it kinda eerily reminds me of Lane Taylor.  The Packers gave Lane Taylor a solid deal despite being a below-average starter in his first year as a starting OG.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Was Corey Linsley better than him?  I felt like they graded out fairly similar.

Yes, Jenkins was good but Linsley was better. Jenkins was really lucky on his pressures this year. He managed to avoid the sacks, but that was because seemingly every bad pressure he allowed resulted in Rodgers running into a different pressure saving Jenkins from the sack.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Do you think you can find a similar player? I sure doubt it. Im not suggesting retaining him for the hell of it..

I think the linsley cut move was thrown out as a pull this red lever if you REALLY want to revamp the entire team.  And somehow we misconstrued that as "Linsley is a legit cap casualty" option.

Linsley is the last move they will make.  Letting bulaga walk even makes more sense, and I wouldn't make that move.  Cutting Jimmy Graham seems like the cleanest way to cap $, and Lane taylor is a little bit of room.

On blake... I think the market will be pretty high for him.  Let's get a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a just above scrap heap FA and call it a day.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

That's like going black Friday shopping and saying you saved 200 dollars on a 1,000 dollar TV.  You haven't saved ****, you just spent 1,000 dollars.

Actually, you only spent $800. Unless you count tax, which varies by state, and gas, or bus fare. Maybe a stop at Chick-Fil-A

42 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

On blake... I think the market will be pretty high for him.  Let's get a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a just above scrap heap FA and call it a day.

I don't think the market is going to be hot for him.  He'll get a solid deal, but nowhere near the $10M+ TOT thinks he's gonna get.