Would you pull Floyd's option?

WindyCity

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Wonder if they would consider moving him to ILB to replace Trevethan and re-sign Kwit for cheaper as depth?

Exactly what I would like to see, but i think he will have a big enough market as an OLB that he will get paid there, and in the open market OLBs just get overpaid. Even if he isn't a real passrusher I think someone will pay him like one. 

• Like 1

The reason I think Floyd might be better as an inside linebacker is simply because of how the defensive line takes priority on keeping them clean. OLBs dont get that help in this scheme, or Fangio's. Floyd isn't a physical guy but he is a very athletic kid. Sacks are never going to be his specialty but he is someone who could cover and play the run at least. Honestly the defense might take a step up if him and Kwiatkoski switched spots if they had time in those spots. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

The reason I think Floyd might be better as an inside linebacker is simply because of how the defensive line takes priority on keeping them clean. OLBs dont get that help in this scheme, or Fangio's. Floyd isn't a physical guy but he is a very athletic kid. Sacks are never going to be his specialty but he is someone who could cover and play the run at least. Honestly the defense might take a step up if him and Kwiatkoski switched spots if they had time in those spots. 

He'd most likely be a spectacular 4-3 OLB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

This is why I never understood why the Bears drafted Floyd as a pass rusher. Georgia never used him in that position. He played more ILB there then any other position. At Georgia I saw a guy who was very athletic but not physical. I would be shocked if Floyd is with the Bears after 2020. He may be back  next year though if they can't find another OLB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TB 1 said:

This is why I never understood why the Bears drafted Floyd as a pass rusher. Georgia never used him in that position. He played more ILB there then any other position. At Georgia I saw a guy who was very athletic but not physical. I would be shocked if Floyd is with the Bears after 2020. He may be back  next year though if they can't find another OLB.

It was projection. 3-4 OLBs who are good pass rushers are hard to find. In a lot of situations, with players going from college to pro, such guys are measured by physical traits, more than anything else. 

On 11/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, Heinz D. said:

He'd most likely be a spectacular 4-3 OLB. 

This.   He could probably play either Sam or Will in a 4-3.  Fast enough to play Will and good enough at taking on blocks to be Sam.  

Totally miscast as a rush LB which is almost a DL.  A lot of wishful thinking went into that decision.   

Too late now to change I think.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Seriously Roquan Smith would be as good at 3-4 OLB as Floyd.  Maybe better.

But both would be bad at it because they aren't strong/heavy enough for the position.  

How do you think Nick would be? I think he could do well, though he wouldn't be a true EDGE either of course.

In all reality we could potentially sign both DT and Kwiatkoski for a bit less than than what Floyd is going to cost.

Mack - Smith - DT - Kwiatkoski

That is a pretty good corps, and Nick could sub out on obvious passing downs. If DT or Smith get hurt then Kwiatkoski kicks back inside and the reserve rusher becomes a starting OLB.

It isn't a perfect scenario, but I'd take that over just paying Floyd any day. I like the kid, I wish he was a better passrusher, but he simply isn't worth $13 mil. Trade him and let someone else overpay for him. He could also be used in combination with a draft pick to move up for a QB too.