2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

The Sam Pittman to Arkansas hire is really puzzling to me, even after trying to think about it.  Is Arkansas hoping that they catch a little bit of Ed Orgeron but the offensive line version?  Pittman is probably best known for being a recruiter, and has never been a coordinator, but he generated results while coaching the Georgia offensive line.  From a remark he made at his press conference, it seems that he is not going to run a clone of Kirby Smart's offense, so that is a plus.  Another downside for coaching a major program- Pittman is 58.  

But there are a lot of other things that have to go right to make this hire work, and I just don't think Pittman is that guy.   Maybe they are hoping he can bring them back to respectability and rebuild the base of the program, and then the next coach can get them back to 8-10 wins and a passing chance at some of the SEC West heavyweights?

Meanwhile, Georgia has hired Matt Luke to replace Pittman and has given him the same associate head coach title.  

On 12/9/2019 at 10:00 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Any thoughts on Drinkwitz? Is this a good hire for Mizzou?

Hard to say. He had a great year at App State, but you have to ask if Satterfield teed it up for him.

58 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I don't know why UNLV would be the job that finally makes Aranda leave, and he'd be taking a $2 mil paycut, guess the guy just really wants to be a head coach.

He'll be missed but he's replaceable. Keep Joe Brady at all costs though. 

Vegas, baby.

Hugh Freeze just received an extension from Liberty which, if rumors are true, makes him one of the top paid Group of Five coaches. 

Liberty is a private institution not required to release salary details, but a source told CBS Sports last week that the school -- which is independent -- was prepared to make Freeze one of the highest-paid coaches in the Group of Five. South Florida's Charlie Strong was the highest-paid Group of Five coach last year at $5 million. Strong was dismissed following the regular season, which now makes Houston's Dana Holgorsen ($3.7 million) the highest-paid coach in Group of Five according to the USA Today coaching salary database.

Read More: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/hugh-freeze-agrees-to-multi-year-extension-with-liberty-after-leading-flames-to-first-bowl-appearance/

28 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Might have jinxed yourself there. But how might Oregon make out without Arroyo? He easily replaceable or difficult to match?

Many in our fanbase hate him. I think he's good but he can be replaced. He's a good play-caller and recruiter. I wish him the best if he goes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

All of the OC changes so far and I messed up lol.  

Well the point still stood! LSU's DC is definitely a position I'd rank above UNLV HC. 

31 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Might have jinxed yourself there. But how might Oregon make out without Arroyo? He easily replaceable or difficult to match?

Nice. Wouldn't have been too panicked about losing Aranda as I do think he's overrated and replaceable, but despite that statement I do still think he's great and would rather keep him if possible. Good news. 

Joe Brady has also confirmed he's back for next year. LSU coaching staff looks to be staying in tact which is huge. See what they can do with Myles Brennan instead of Jeaux Burreaux. 

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Sam Pittman to Arkansas hire is really puzzling to me, even after trying to think about it.  Is Arkansas hoping that they catch a little bit of Ed Orgeron but the offensive line version?  Pittman is probably best known for being a recruiter, and has never been a coordinator, but he generated results while coaching the Georgia offensive line.  From a remark he made at his press conference, it seems that he is not going to run a clone of Kirby Smart's offense, so that is a plus.  Another downside for coaching a major program- Pittman is 58.  

But there are a lot of other things that have to go right to make this hire work, and I just don't think Pittman is that guy.   Maybe they are hoping he can bring them back to respectability and rebuild the base of the program, and then the next coach can get them back to 8-10 wins and a passing chance at some of the SEC West heavyweights?

Meanwhile, Georgia has hired Matt Luke to replace Pittman and has given him the same associate head coach title.  

I think this is exactly what we want him to do. Guys like Pat Fitzgerald, PJ Fleck and Kirk Ferentz made the jump from position coach to head coach. After Morris it was important to get someone that would be well-liked and that the players would play hard for. Plus he has infinitely more SEC coaching connections than Morris did. I mean our OC under Morris was a GA at Clemson three years prior.

He cried during his presser and it's obvious he really wants to be here. I think he's going to work hard and bring a blue collar mentality instead of the flashy slogans and cliches Morris had with no substance. Saying things like "I'm just a high school football coach at heart" and "football is what I do, it's not who I am" just won't work in the SEC. You've got to eat, breathe and sleep football. Pittman will probably only be here like 6 years max and then probably retire but as long as he leaves the program better than he found it he will have done his job.

• Like 1