Week #13 Gameday Thread Steelers @ Cardinals

Steeler Hitman

I was initially worried about this being a classic Tomlin “trap” game but after giving it some thought, I’m not quite as worried. This no longer is a team with Big Ben, Bell, and Antonio Brown who could walk into any stadium and know they were the more talented team. This year we know that we are the more underhanded team any given week so we must win by working, preparing, and playing harder. We have historically had more success playing with an underdog mentality as well.

Hoping I’m right and also hoping the Cardinals are packing it in at this point of the season after losing 5 straight and getting embarrassed by a team who has been getting embarrassed (Rams) on their home field.

JuJu and Conner are both looking very questionable at best to play this weekend. I predict big games from Snell and Dionte Johnson. I know the Duck to Washington connection has been on fire but JW will probably draw Patrick Peterson and Johnson is due for a big week. Peterson hasn’t been his usual self this season but let’s see if Duck has the ducks to test him. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

One last thought, Heyward, Alualu, and Hargrave need to have big days. Dupree and Watt will feast outside but if the inside guys can’t get pressure and maintain their gaps Kyler Murray will run all over us. I’m sure Butler will implement a similar game plan that we used against the Ravens/Lamar and rush Dupree/Watt from the inside at times.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

One last thought, Heyward, Alualu, and Hargrave need to have big days. Dupree and Watt will feast outside but if the inside guys can’t get pressure and maintain their gaps Kyler Murray will run all over us. I’m sure Butler will implement a similar game plan that we used against the Ravens/Lamar and rush Dupree/Watt from the inside at times.

I think we'll see a fair bit of 2-gapping from our line even while rushing the passer. Keeping Kyler in the pocket is a must. 

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we'll see a fair bit of 2-gapping from our line even while rushing the passer. Keeping Kyler in the pocket is a must. 

we haven't 2-gapped much this season, I am not sure if this will be a game to do so. If they don't fear Kyler as a passer, then they can play the run first and then hope the secondary holds up. I am looking forward to seeing how we defend this team, I can expect a win but how? If we watch the ravens game earlier this year, will this be similar but with different ending?  How did the Rams defend him?

so this is #1 overall QB vs the undrafted QB that threw for more yards if that makes any sense. This game could be a way of letting draft guru's know that Duck is legit if he really outplays the former #1, just as he did last week! Will Duck outplay the last two #1 overall picks in consecutive weeks?

On 05/12/2019 at 12:35 AM, bigben07MVP said:

big tyse has done really well for us this year and he’s a solid player, probably doesn’t get all the dues he deserves among neutral fans, but boy just imagine if he was a rotation guy and tuitt was still healthy 

• Like 1

No  Connor and no Ju Ju again.....:o  Going to need the other guys to step up again.  Benny and Kale hopefully can get and keep a consistent run game.  Washington has played big, but hopefully Dionte can bounce back from his injuries and perhaps the combo of Cain, Jones and Holton can make some consistent plays at WR.  Cain has shown some ability early. Maybe he can break-out this game.  This will be another challenge and test for the Steelers offense.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/steelers-thursday-injury-report-week-14-smith-schuster-still-sidelined-johnson-back-full/

Dionte better get with the program, after that int he gave up on the play and the browns advanced about 30 yards. If he does anything like that again, time for tomlin to get out the cortez allen award

No JC and JJSS, but it's good to let them heal for the more important games anyways. If the other players keep steeping up, no need to have players play with injury and that includes next week. Snell and Whyte have been good and JW has stepped up.  I would still prefer for them to get the running game going, then some play action to the TE's but it appears that Duck is a gunslinger, so expect a few longer passes that can also draw DPI^_^

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

JuJu is hopeful he can be back for the playoffs!!!!  What is wrong with his knee?

I don't know, we will never know of course.  Now imagine telling someone  last year we would be winning without the killer b's, Connor, and JJSS :o. I hope another WR steps up and helps take coverage away from JW, even a TE.  

Is JJSS having problems with the knee he hurt in the pro bowl?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/juju-smith-schuster-the-knee-is-great-definitely/

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Dionte better get with the program, after that int he gave up on the play and the browns advanced about 30 yards. If he does anything like that again, time for Tomlin to get out the Cortez Allen award.

You do realize that he is a third round draft choice rookie playing in about his 9th or 10th game?  I am all about accountability, but these kids are going to make mistakes.  That is part of the growing/learning curve.  It is waaayyyy too early to throw a Cortez Allen label on him or anyone in that position.

No JC and JJSS, but it's good to let them heal for the more important games anyways. If the other players keep steeping up, no need to have players play with injury and that includes next week. Snell and Whyte have been good and JW has stepped up.  I would still prefer for them to get the running game going, then some play action to the TE's but it appears that Duck is a gunslinger, so expect a few longer passes that can also draw DPI^_^

I agree. However, the running game has to get going. Against good teams, it is hard to beat them with second, third and fourth tier players. That is just a reality.  We need some guys to get healthy.  Losing the Big three Killer B's and their replacements........That is a tough act to follow. I.E. you just can't replace that kind of talent.

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I don't know, we will never know of course.  Now imagine telling someone  last year we would be winning without the killer b's, Connor, and JJSS :o. I hope another WR steps up and helps take coverage away from JW, even a TE.  

They can throw more to the TE's. That has been there. The problem with some of the passing game has been timing.  That comes with reps and practice together.  That was by far Mason's biggest problem at QB. Sometimes he waited too long or was not confident to throw into some of those tight windows.

Is JJSS having problems with the knee he hurt in the pro bowl?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/juju-smith-schuster-the-knee-is-great-definitely/

I don't know if the knee was lingering from that, but I recall hearing or reading that he hurt or re-aggravated his knee in the Browns game. I don't know if it was the play that he got the concussion or not, but I recall hearing or reading that.

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't know if the knee was lingering from that, but I recall hearing or reading that he hurt or re-aggravated his knee in the Browns game. I don't know if it was the play that he got the concussion or not, but I recall hearing or reading that.

I read that the concussion and knee were on the same play O.o  , but I don't know if it's the knee from the pro bowl. 

You do realize that he is a third round draft choice rookie playing in about his 9th or 10th game? 

Of course, and thats why I expected him to tackle the interceptor asap instead of waiting 30 yards or so. Thats the part I didn't like. 

They can throw more to the TE's. That has been there. The problem with some of the passing game has been timing.  That comes with reps and practice together.

This is why I am expecting the offence to get better every week from here on. Not only the reps, but getting players back and Duck has game, no doubt about it. Now the main concern left is the OC though

• Like 1