Rally Around the QB Mock Draft

Sugashane

Rally Around the QB Mock Draft

Tru has shown enough talent to compete for the starting job but his lack of consistency means he needs competition. This team is not set up to take on a big contract like Foles or Smith to hold the spot, they need to have some talent added and holes filled. Neither of them are talented enough to overlook those issues, so the best bet for success is to rally around the inexpensive options at QB. Tru has not been good enough to hand the spot to him though, he will have to fight for the starting role against another talented player that may be the long-term option if Tru cannot step up.

Firings

OC – Mark Helfrich – Looked like a great signing but Tru hasn’t developed, so what is he bringing to the table since he doesn’t call plays?

OL – Harry Hiestand – Flopped like Fox, but less expensive.

Hirings

OC – John DeFilippo (expect JAX to clean house) – Nagy isn’t handing the playcalling duties so we grab someone to focus on QB development. Flip got a trash trio of QBs with no talent to pass for 4,000 yards, helped Wentz and Foles look much better than they really are, and had Minshrew performing MUCH better than he was expected. Flip may be the one to help Tru turn the corner, or at least is the perfect guy to help Eason refine his game.

OL – Bill Bedenbaugh or George Warhop – I’m poaching Oklahoma’s OL coach or Warhop when he is let go with the rest of the Jags staff. Bil has put together one of the best OLs in college football and one of the best run blocking units I’ve seen for a while. I’d love to have Marrone as the OL coach but he won’t kick down that far IMO, but he has worked with Warhop and this year the OL has overplayed their talent level, especially considering the lack of skill position talent they have.  

Cap Space - $14.343 mil

Trades

L. Floyd and P. Amukamara for NE’s 2nd round pick.

Getting rid of Floyd and Amukamara are able to save Chicago $22.22 mil. NE has a ton of players that start and play regular roles becoming FAs, this allows them to have two talented players step in and be extended as some of theirs will test FA. They also get a 5th round pick to add depth and move up in the 2nd some.

Cap – $36.565 mil

Release/Let Go

Long – saves $8.5 mil

Gabriel – saves $4.5 mil

Patterson – saves $4.75 mil

O’Donnell – saves $1.75 mil

Shaheen – saves $1.21 mil

Clinton-Dix

Williams (I think someone just overpays him for his passrush this year)

Daniel

McManis

Sowell

Clemmings

Irving

Urban

Cap – $57.275 mil

Re-Sign

ILB – Trevathan – 3 years, $19 mil,  6/6/8

OLB – Kwiatkoski – 2 years, $10 mil, 4.5/5.5

S – Bush – 2 years, $7.5 mil, 3/4

TE – Holtz – 3 years, $5.5 mil – 1.5/2/2

OL – Lucas – 2 years, $3 mil – 1.5/1.5

DL – Robertson-Harris – 2 years, $6 mil – 3/3

OG - Coward – 2 years, $$4 mil – 2/2

ILB – Pierre-Louis – 2 years, $2 mil – 1/1

TE – Horstead – 3 years, $4 mil – 1/1.5/1.5

C – Bars – 3 years, $3.5 mil – 1/1/1.5

Cap - $33.275

Free Agents

WR AJ Green – 3 years, $39 mil, $39 mil guaranteed – 13/13/14

TE Hunter Henry – 2 years, $12mil, $5 mil guaranteed – 5/7

OLB Vic Beasley – 2 years, $10 mil, $5 mil guaranteed – 5/5

DL – Beau Allen – 2 years, $4 mil, $2 mil guaranteed – 2/2

Cap - $8.275

Green gets away from CIN, has a chance for the postseason and has a fully guaranteed deal that beats out some of the higher priced deals. Robinson gets a real running mate and Miller gets to move into the slot full-time. Green isn’t the same guy he was in his prime but him/ARob/Miler could be the best trio in the NFL by a wide margin. Regardless of who is throwing the ball there should be points in bulk being scored.

Henry is talented but highly injury prone, but this year could catapult him to a bigger deal. Burton will also hopefully be healthy so the two could cause some match up issues, especially if they are both spread out with Green and ARob. If Burton does well then he may be able to be traded for a 4th or 5th in 2021. If he is unable to see the field much then it was a risk worth taking and Henry gets cut for no dead cap in 2021.

Beasley is a speedy athlete that will take over the Aldon Smith role, he will sit early downs out and pin his ears back for Kwiatkoski when it is a likely passing down. He may never be the same guy he was in ATL when he had a career year but with Mack, Hicks, Coe, RRH and anyone else that may rotate in the nickel rush set he will be able to likely at least pile up some clean up sacks, at a much lower price than Floyd would be paid for.

Hicks went down and then we had a major lack of physicality. Kwiatkoski provided a boost and will do so more than Floyd did, but we were lucky Urban was able to fall to us. Allen is a mammoth at 6’2” and 330lbs and will be able to keep our LBs clean. I think he beats out Nichols to start and then sits for passing downs, and if Goldman goes down he kicks inside to back up Slaton (later). Honestly I think it would be nice to see Hicks and Goldman at 5T and Allen at the NT.

Draft

2 – QB - Jacob Eason – Washington – 6’5”, 235lbs

Trubisky has shown enough flashes to warrant a chance to fight for his spot, but there is nothing to gain by having crappy reserves like Daniel. Tru needs someone to push him or if he isn’t able to seal the job then someone with enough talent to replace him.

Eason has a ton of arm talent and can make any throw, he doesn’t have quite the howitzer Cutler did but seems to have much more control on short and intermediate throws when he can step up, showing he can lead his receivers with touch rather than just throwing lasers everywhere like a lot of other big-armed QBs. He has a ton of faith in his arm and will stretch the field vertically. He isn’t as mobile as Tru but isn’t a statue and will be able to easily move and extend plays. If Tru can win the job great, Eason gets a season in the system and Flip gets to work on his mechanical flaws in the background. If Tru could take a step in 2020 and earn the big deal (which I am not sure of at all) then we have a top reserve in tow for times Tru may go down. If Tru is not retained then we aren’t staring at an offseason with nothing at QB, and potentially have our young cheap starter already on the team.

2 – OT Mekhi Becton – Louisville, 6’7”, 365lbs

Becton is a mountain of a man similar to OAK’s (and former Florida Gator) David Sharpe and Orlando Brown. He isn’t an elite athlete but is powerful and a good enough athlete to be able to mirror. When a top passrusher is across from him just put the TE there to chip the EDGE inside a bit, and Becton’s power will swallow them up after that. He is not just fat, he is a powerful mammoth that will dig people out of the way to make lanes for Montgomery. He absolutely lacks refinement though from the little I have seen. But he looks like he has a LOT of force in those hands. Plays angry, which we need.

2(from NE) – OT Trey Adams – Washington – 6’8”, 328lbs

Injuries are the only reason he isn’t a top 20 pick. He has had numerous but is as tough as any OL on the draft. He has elite length and also seems pretty smooth in his drops. Seeing him and Becton jump in would cause the team to immediately have an enforcer mentality and would absolutely open up lanes in the run game. These two will be able to fit anywhere, and I think both find a place to start on the OL this year – be it both starting at LT and RT or one at T and the other at RG. Unlike Massie and Leno, he has the strength to both anchor and drive opposing lineman, and there will never be an issue with aggressiveness.

4 (comp pick – Mike Davis) – CB Lamar Jackson – Nebraska – 6’3”, 215lbs

Losing Amukamara means we lose our most physical DB (not just CB) and our starting runningmate for Fuller. Toliver has size and has played well in his limited reps but there simply isn’t enough to keep this from being a need. Jackson is a very physical CB who will be able to be our press corner and will be a plus run defender come day one. His cover skills aren’t elite by any means but with our passrush and his ability to redirect WRs he should be more than able to step in and perform.

5 - DT Tedarrell Slaton – Florida – 6’5”, 345 lbs

Hicks went down and there was no one to fill the void as a run stuffer. Goldman held his gaps for the most part but the DL was bullied around, and prevented the linebackers from making plays like they normally do. Slaton is not going to be bullied, and he will help keep the LBs clean. He will shock IOL with his punches and stand them up with regularity. He offers almost no rush in the passing game but can offer pressures by walking his man back some. If Hicks can develop I think Slaton could be one to follow under his wing and grow to be a bad man inside. If you are going heavy then having him next to Hicks and Goldman will net over 1,000 pounds of pissed off holding down the LOS.  

5 - Nick Coe – Auburn, 6’5”, 291 lbs

Coe has played with his hand in the dirt, standing, and even drifted in coverage and didn’t look like a fish out of water (I’d assume NFL starting-caliber athletes could quickly change that). Floyd is making serious money this year, and he is too reliant on gimmick and stunts to be a long-term pillar for the defense. Coe is going to take his spot long-term, competing with Beasely for playing time and being a down lineman on obvious passing downs (Beasely standing with Mack). He will be able to outpower a lot of OTs with his brute strength and tenacity, but he is a bullrush-only guy at this time. With Pagano specializing with linebackers Coe has a chance to develop into something special while not being forced into a starting role early. I am not sure why his snaps have been dropped so much but it isn’t for a lack of talent, but his role dropping (and Davidson emerging above him) is why he galls this far. Long-term he may be the OLB opposite of Mack, but immediately he looks like a rush DL to rotate in anywhere on the line. 

5 – OG Ben Cleveland – Georgia - 6’6”, 335lbs

For a 330+ OL he has a really trim build and is an absolute mauler. Country strong kid who isn’t athletic enough to play OT but is more than able to anchor down and dig people out of the running lanes. He has a lot of experience too, I would not be shocked to see him be able to play C as well, and with him and Bars both on the team they would both be getting reps at C to see who is the one backing up Daniels. Clevelend would be my favorite to step in at RG whenever Durant kicks over to RT though, sadly Coward might just never get a shot to start here. He might be destined to be a reserve swing OT or IOL.

6 – SS/RET - Kyle Dugger - Lenoir-Rhyne, 6’2”, 220lbs

Say hello to McManis’ and Patterson’s replacement. Drugger has played S, LB, RB, and is the primary returner too. He has adjusted coverages and checks calls, and is a 2-time captain. He is fast, can change direction really well, and will try to explode through ballcarriers and tacklers alike. They primarily use him on punt returns but I see no reason why he couldn’t do kick returns as well. He will step in day one and be a ST standout and may be able to rotate in on nickel or dime formations for speedy run support.

6 – P Branden Mann – Texas A&M – Doesn’t matter he looks like a 12 year old

Last season he appeared in all 13 games, averaging 51.0 yards on 50 punts and pinning 19 punts inside the 20-yard line … set the NCAA record for the highest punting average in a game (60.8 yards at Alabama) and 60-plus yard punts in a season (14). Won the Ray Guy award. This year he has 53 punts for a 47.7 yard average, and has 28 punts of over 50 yards.

He is simply an upgrade over O’Donnell, and is cheaper as well.

7 – FS Jeremy Chinn – Northern Illinois – 6’3”, 212lbs

Kid has 11 career interceptions, has experience at CB and S (can’t play safety in the NFL) and can use his size to match up with TEs over the middle, and has shown a lot of ability to attack the ball through contact. Whereas Dugger is the banger, Chinn is the cover guy. He may be able to step up and cover guys but primarily he is being drafted for an immediate special team boost.

QB – Trubisky = Eason

HB – Montgomery, Cohen, Nall

FB – Holtz

WR – Robinson, Green, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Ives

TE – Henry, Burton, (Holtz), Horsted

LT – Leno = Becton, Lucas

LG – Daniels, Cleveland

C – Whitehair, Bars, Cleveland

RG – Bars/Coward/rookies

RT – Massie = Adams

-          If Becton or Adams lose the fight for their OT spots then one will kick in to RG, though they will be rotating there to earn that spot. Cleveland may be a reserve OG or OC, if Bars threatens for the RG job then he likely kicks to C to have a guy that can really anchor against big NTs.

LE – Hicks, RRH

NT – Goldman, Slaton

RE – Nichols = Allen

LOLB – Mack, Coe

ILB – Smith, Trevathan, Pierre-Louis, Woods, Iggy

ROLB – Kwiatkoski, Beasley (EDGE), Iggy

CB – Fuller, Toliver=Jackson, Skrine, Shelley, Denmark
FS – Jackson, Houston-Carson, Chinn
SS – Bush, Dugger

-          Rush DL for nickel might be Mack, RRH, Coe, Beasley

K – Pineiro=UFA
P - Mann
LS – Scales

Extra

This is a team that should own the division and the offense should be explosive. If not then Nagy and Pace need to be shown the door. If that happens then for the 2021 offseason I go for–

GM – Nick Caserio

HC – Josh McDaniels

Caserio is believed to be the one taking over the GM duties for Bill in NE, and he has been there to see QBs develop, attain talent, and very importantly seen how they rarely overpay. McDaniels flopped in DEN in large part because of his ego and personnel choices. Caserio is the one who will keep those in check.

McDaniels may be a d-bag, but there is no doubt the guy is a QB guru. He has been key to Brady’s development, was the reason SF was so content to trade for Jimmy G even though they had seen so little of him (they said they knew McDaniels was working with him directly, so they knew he understood the game well – that is a major show of respect), and took Brisset to turn him into a much better player than most could have hoped. Either he develops Eason or he gets his pick and likely uses Eason in a year or two to get another big investment back on him. With Green/ARob/Miller/Cohen the passing attack should be damn dangerous under him.  

• Like 1

A tad high on Eason for me but I love Mann (he's in my mock that I edit all year and then eventually post a week or so before the real draft).

If Williams is going to walk away I'd prefer getting another DE early- maybe instead of 2 OT's- because we saw what happens if Hicks goes down.

At this point I'd be willing to go to a third year and up the guarantees for Henry. If he's healthy he's really good. I have no opinion on Green. That's a lot for a guy who has been hurt often lately although maybe this year he simply is sitting out because Cincinnati sucks.

Don't be surprised if Dugger goes a lot higher.

Otherwise I like it.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

I doubt you could get a 2nd for those guys, someone would be taking on 22 million for average players. NE also traded their 2nd round pick to Atlanta for Sanu.

I am officially announcing my extreme doubt that the Bears are going to pick a QB in the 2nd round. I think they will look to target an OT and a defensive player at CB or OLB and build the team around 10.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I doubt you could get a 2nd for those guys, someone would be taking on 22 million for average players. NE also traded their 2nd round pick to Atlanta for Sanu.

I am officially announcing my extreme doubt that the Bears are going to pick a QB in the 2nd round. I think they will look to target an OT and a defensive player at CB or OLB and build the team around 10.

I completely forgot that. Good catch

Edited by Sugashane

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Trubisky has shown enough flashes to warrant a chance to fight for his spot, but there is nothing to gain by having crappy reserves like Daniel. Tru needs someone to push him or if he isn’t able to seal the job then someone with enough talent to replace him.

Hardly qualifies as a "rally around the QB". That's like, literally, the opposite of that. 

Unless Mitch stumbles to the finish line, there's really no logical way to go in this direction--unless you've been convinced by his EARLY stumbles that he simply can't get it done. If you're drafting Eason (who I'm not sure will even declare at this point) you might as well trade Trubisky for whatever you can get. Similar logic applies to signing someone like Mariotta (unless we get lucky and he's cheap). 

Edited by Heinz D.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I'd be stunned if we took a QB that high... too many needs on this roster. At minimum we could use upgrades/cheaper options at OT, OLB and CB.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Hardly qualifies as a "rally around the QB". That's like, literally, the opposite of that. 

Unless Mitch stumbles to the finish line, there's really no logical way to go in this direction--unless you've been convinced by his EARLY stumbles that he simply can't get it done. If you're drafting Eason (who I'm not sure will even declare at this point) you might as well trade Trubisky for whatever you can get. Similar logic applies to signing someone like Mariotta (unless we get lucky and he's cheap). 

By that I mean the position, not Trubisky only. Supporting the QB as well as possible.  All year there have been complaints about WRs outside of ARob, the TE being a horribly weak group with Burton out, weak OL (particularly in run blocking). These were all priorities in the FA draft. Eason declaring or not is a nonfactor,  there will be a lot of FAs re-sign or be franchised, underclassmen may or may not declare. That's a given in every mock this early. 

If Tru wins the spot - and he should - then this gives him the best shot to succeed. If he can't with that much talent then you know he isn't worth investing further in, and there is still talent at the position for future support - hence the title. 

Also there is absolutely zero benefit for trading Tru. You're not getting anything for him and still on the hook for about all $9mil of his deal. So maybe a 6th, you pay his full salary basically, and now have to add another QB. Even in the worst scenario you keep him for depth. 

5 hours ago, G08 said:

I'd be stunned if we took a QB that high... too many needs on this roster. At minimum we could use upgrades/cheaper options at OT, OLB and CB.

Pace won't but I never try to guess what he will do. These are just moves I like. 

As far as upgrading OTs there's no way either of them are moved, Massie has about $10mil dead cap and Leno $7mil I believe. Only thing we can do there right is draft, which was in the mock. OLB and CB both are cheaper and have new bodies. With the cap situation there is only so much that can be done, and with the biggest long term question being QB you need to find that answer immediately before it becomes a major cap liability. Is Tru the QB of the future or not? These moves on offense will let us know IMO. 

Edited by Sugashane

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

By that I mean the position, not Trubisky only. Supporting the QB as well as possible.  All year there have been complaints about WRs outside of ARob, the TE being a horribly weak group with Burton out, weak OL (particularly in run blocking). These were all priorities in the FA draft. Eason declaring or not is a nonfactor,  there will be a lot of FAs re-sign or be franchised, underclassmen may or may not declare. That's a given in every mock this early. 

There really haven't been a lot of complaints about the WRs. Nor should there be, The problem was the guy trying to get them the ball. Hopefully 'was' continues to be accurate. 

Yes, the TEs need addressing. Burton and Shaheen probably both need to go, even though that's a nasty cap hit. Luckily, Horstead, Braumecker, and Holtz shouldn't cost much. 

I don't know what you're getting at with Eason declaring, or not. If you draft a QB to replace Trubisky, that's not rallying around him. I mean...that's pretty straightforward. Drafting, or signing, a QB to potentially replace Trubisky is also not improving his supporting cast. It's prepping for his departure. 

Edited by Heinz D.

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You're not getting anything for him and still on the hook for about all $9mil of his deal. So maybe a 6th, you pay his full salary basically, and now have to add another QB. Even in the worst scenario you keep him for depth. 

Forgot to comment on this. The Bears could get a lot more than a sixth round pick for Trubisky. Let's be real, here.

9 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

It sounds like Jordan Love of Utah will not be declaring this draft. He would be a great pickup in round 3.

If he isn't declaring, how do you draft him? 

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There really haven't been a lot of complaints about the WRs. Nor should there be, The problem was the guy trying to get them the ball. Hopefully 'was' continues to be accurate. 

Yes, the TEs need addressing. Burton and Shaheen probably both need to go, even though that's a nasty cap hit. Luckily, Horstead, Braumecker, and Holtz shouldn't cost much. 

I don't know what you're getting at with Eason declaring, or not. If you draft a QB to replace Trubisky, that's not rallying around him. I mean...that's pretty straightforward. Drafting, or signing, a QB to potentially replace Trubisky is also not improving his supporting cast. It's prepping for his departure. 

Yes, there really have been. Miller has had issues where he hasn't been able to make catches and has apparently ran the wrong routes, Gabriel has had drop issues, at one point we literally led the NFL in drops  and no one else has been able to snap up consistently, etc. So yes there really has been a lot of talk about that. For a large chunk of the season there was basically talk that outside of Robinson no one else could catch a ball out there oh, and how Cohen clearly couldn't hack it as a wide receiver.

Those three shouldn't cost much but how much do you really expect from those guys? Do you think they are the answer walking into the 2020 season? I haven't seen anything to say that the number one tight end is on this roster, or that those three combined of equal a really good cast or the quarterback of 2020.

It was a direct point to your own comment that Eason may not declare. And I pointed out above that this was not to rally around around Trubisky but the position, regardless of whoever the young cheap option is there.

Pretending that you know Trubisky is a franchise quarterback isn't an intelligent long term option. You draft quarterbacks for a multitude of reasons, whether it is to replace the current player because they aren't going to be worth a mega deal, add death that case they have injuries as trubisky has, challenge for the spot to push him, or even as a long-term prospect to make a big trade like Jimmy G. You even said above that you think the issue was the quarterback and not the wide receivers, so why ignore the position just to go ahead and potentially waste another season?

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Forgot to comment on this. The Bears could get a lot more than a sixth round pick for Trubisky. Let's be real, here.

If he isn't declaring, how do you draft him? 

Please tell me what you think anyone would trade for him, I'd love to hear what he would be worth in a market, in your opinion. If he was the reason the Bears offense was terrible for the bulk of the season -which you insinuated he was- why would people invest so much in him? He is a guy who has one year left unless you pick up the fifth year option and if you do that you're basically franchise tagging him because of his draft slot, I don't see the value there to be worth a significant pick. 

And as for drafting Love, he didn't say it would be this season since the Bears don't even have a third-round pick this year. He could be talking about in the 2021 draft.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Pretending that you know Trubisky is a franchise quarterback isn't an intelligent long term option. You draft quarterbacks for a multitude of reasons, whether it is to replace the current player because they aren't going to be worth a mega deal, add death that case they have injuries as trubisky has, challenge for the spot to push him, or even as a long-term prospect to make a big trade like Jimmy G. You even said above that you think the issue was the quarterback and not the wide receivers, so why ignore the position just to go ahead and potentially waste another season?

If that's your opinion, that's fine. I'm not ridiculing it. But that isn't at all a "rally around the QB" strategy. Can we agree on that? The "rally" bit is even in the thread title...scroll up if you don't believe me. 

And as to what I've been posting (by and large) about this particular issue isn't even what I would do--it's what I think Pace and Nagy will do. And, outside of a Trubisky meltdown over the next three games, I think they will do exactly what I've described. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Please tell me what you think anyone would trade for him, I'd love to hear what he would be worth in a market, in your opinion. If he was the reason the Bears offense was terrible for the bulk of the season -which you insinuated he was- why would people invest so much in him? He is a guy who has one year left unless you pick up the fifth year option and if you do that you're basically franchise tagging him because of his draft slot, I don't see the value there to be worth a significant pick. 

Because he's a young QB who some may see as still having franchise potential. And poor coaching has clearly factored into his regression in his second season in Nagy's offense. Plenty of people felt the Bears made either the right, or at worst, a decent decision to draft him where they did. Franchise QBs are hard to find. 

Guarantee you that Belichick, at least, would offer up more than a sixth round pick for him. He made the Pro Bowl last year, for cryin' out loud...

43 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If that's your opinion, that's fine. I'm not ridiculing it. But that isn't at all a "rally around the QB" strategy. Can we agree on that? The "rally" bit is even in the thread title...scroll up if you don't believe me. 

And as to what I've been posting (by and large) about this particular issue isn't even what I would do--it's what I think Pace and Nagy will do. And, outside of a Trubisky meltdown over the next three games, I think they will do exactly what I've described. 

Because he's a young QB who some may see as still having franchise potential. And poor coaching has clearly factored into his regression in his second season in Nagy's offense. Plenty of people felt the Bears made either the right, or at worst, a decent decision to draft him where they did. Franchise QBs are hard to find. 

Guarantee you that Belichick, at least, would offer up more than a sixth round pick for him. He made the Pro Bowl last year, for cryin' out loud...

You're looking at it as rally pertaining to Trubisky himself, and I am using it as the position regardless of who is playing it. This adds enough talent that if he cannot turn the corner and play like a franchise QB then you have given him every chance he could realistically ask for. If you look at it as "rally around Trubisky" then I'd agree with you, but my very first sentence states that he is not even having the job handed to him. He hasn't had real competition pushing him since he was drafted, I think he needs some. He hasn't earned much to me. 

That's fine, I never mock what I expect Pace to do because he is so hard to read, I simply pick moves I would like. I don't believe after his first year I have done any mocks on what I thought Pace would do. Just too many variables and not enough pertinent data. He plays things really close to the chest and seems to deliberately mislead with some of his comments (like his claim of drafting a QB every year, but only drafting Tru in his entire time here). 

Drafting him early was one thing but his play has been another. Now that teams have seen him play three years I'm not confident that many, if any, GM would have drafted him top 10 even if Mahomes and Watson were off the table, so I just don't think there is a lot of correlation between the two. Granted that is all revisionist but still. The real only thing going for him in a trade is that he will be basically free for any team that gets him this year. 

Old Bill is pretty good about trying not to give bulletin board material, he always talks up opposing QBs. He had some praise for Brandon Weeden too, and Bortles, and Fitzpatrick, etc. So any compliments he has paid Tru should be discounted, especially since he said Trubisky won't beat you with his arm but with his legs, or something along those lines. But my point was you said "a lot more than a 6th." A 5th isn't a lot more, and I wouldn't say a 4th is a LOT more. That was why I was finding it surprising for you to think he'd warrant a 3rd from anyone. 

Pro Bowl means absolutely nothing IMO. It is a popularity contest and nothing more. Grbac made it, Kordell Stewart and Kerry Collins made it, Vince Young made it there, Derek Anderson did, etc. He was an alternate who got to go only because Goff didn't, and was like 8th or 9th QB overall IIRC. Considering he was on a top team it isn't surprising he made the pro bowl as an alternate. It was like Nagy getting COTY, it wasn't earned as much as handed to him.

Edit - And I just want to point out that I have no issues with our opposing views on these things and I'm not looking down on your viewpoints either, thats what makes the forum fun for me. 

Edited by Sugashane

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

You're looking at it as rally pertaining to Trubisky himself, and I am using it as the position regardless of who is playing it. This adds enough talent that if he cannot turn the corner and play like a franchise QB then you have given him every chance he could realistically ask for. If you look at it as "rally around Trubisky" then I'd agree with you, but my very first sentence states that he is not even having the job handed to him. He hasn't had real competition pushing him since he was drafted, I think he needs some. He hasn't earned much to me. 

Yeah, I kinda thought your quip upfront there was a sort of beside the point comment. Something off-hand. What you're really getting at is something fairly different than what you're, initially, coming off as saying. And that's fine. 

I still think Eason has a ton of potential, in spite of his bad stretch this year. Considering your take on things, though, do you think adding Eason is enough? I mean, all things considered, you're advocating for a sure-fire alternative, aren't you? Does that mean that maybe you think the Bears should trade UP for a QB?  

• Like 1