Who are our core players/building blocks? Whats our depth?

AKRNA

On 1/2/2020 at 12:12 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

As a two-down thumper he is fine but he shouldn't be on the field in obvious passing situations.

I do know there might be some mutual interest in bringing Danny T back here if the Bears opt to let him walk. 

I would be fine bringing back Trevathan. He knows this defense and would probably have at least some interest in returning.

Robby Anderson would be an interesting addition if the price is right.  He’s one of the better deep threats in the league, has the height and vertical to go get the ball in the red zone, and is only 26. I am guessing he probably goes for $10M+ annually, however.  May be worth it to get a proven commodity on the outside as opposed to banking on a rookie to step in as the teams #2 from day 1.  Anderson would be money in this system.  

15 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Robby Anderson would be an interesting addition if the price is right.  He’s one of the better deep threats in the league, has the height and vertical to go get the ball in the red zone, and is only 26. I am guessing he probably goes for $10M+ annually, however.  May be worth it to get a proven commodity on the outside as opposed to banking on a rookie to step in as the teams #2 from day 1.  Anderson would be money in this system.  

I heard he's looking at $13-14M range and I can't see him being worth anywhere close to that number, didn't even come close to 1000yrds yet he wants that type of money ??  No Thank You

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

I heard he's looking at $13-14M range and I can't see him being worth anywhere close to that number, didn't even come close to 1000yrds yet he wants that type of money ??  No Thank You

What he wants and what he gets can be totally different things.  Though, I do think he gets a similar deal to Tyrell Williams (who was the best deep threat WR in last years FA) at around 4 years $44M.

I actually think Anderson has been pretty effective considering NYJ’s QBs have been worse than Denver’s.  I think he could be worth every bit of $11M a year in a competent offense with a competent QB.  

51 minutes ago, germ-x said:

What he wants and what he gets can be totally different things.  Though, I do think he gets a similar deal to Tyrell Williams (who was the best deep threat WR in last years FA) at around 4 years $44M.

I actually think Anderson has been pretty effective considering NYJ’s QBs have been worse than Denver’s.  I think he could be worth every bit of $11M a year in a competent offense with a competent QB.  

By paying Anderson $11M a year, what kind of precedent are you setting for our #1 receiver in Sutton ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

By paying Anderson $11M a year, what kind of precedent are you setting for our #1 receiver in Sutton ???

If Sutton continues his current ascension, $11M won’t even come close to keeping him in Denver.  If Sutton continues developing, producing the way we all hope, and the salary cap continues increasing, Sutton won’t be in Denver for anything less the $15M a year.

Paying Anderson $11M/year won’t matter....which is exactly what Anderson is worth when you look at current WR salaries.  

Edited by germ-x

Personally I don't think this is the year to be spending on FA's unless they're our own. I'd rather see us concentrate on our roster composition for 21/22. Lock up the guys we want. Maybe get extensions done now for Sutton and Lindsay. Re-sign Wolfe and CHJ and send a message to Simmons and the rest of the kids, we can't pay you the most but we can set you up financially very well for life. You can stay here until you retire very wealthy.

Next year should be a lot of fun. Seeing what our staff has done with our kids this year makes me excited about next. Add another solid draft class, continue developing what we have and we could be serious contenders by the end of next year. Playing the kind of December ball we did this year is a great sign for the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I don't think this is the year to be spending on FA's unless they're our own. I'd rather see us concentrate on our roster composition for 21/22. Lock up the guys we want. Maybe get extensions done now for Sutton and Lindsay. Re-sign Wolfe and CHJ and send a message to Simmons and the rest of the kids, we can't pay you the most but we can set you up financially very well for life. You can stay here until you retire very wealthy.

Next year should be a lot of fun. Seeing what our staff has done with our kids this year makes me excited about next. Add another solid draft class, continue developing what we have and we could be serious contenders by the end of next year. Playing the kind of December ball we did this year is a great sign for the future.

I agree with this to a certain point, but I don't think re-signing veteran players just because they were Broncos is the best approach. Denver should not be spending will-nilly in the FA market you'll get no disagreement from me there. But it takes two to tango, these guys have to want to stay, and we should be paying them what they are worth.

Wolfe, for example, is an incredibly risking signing. If we can get him on a short deal with less guaranteed, I would be okay with it, but his injury history alone means we should be wary. Harris wants to test FA. Our offer is already known, if he wants his chance to get paid somewhere else, so be it. Denver is ascending, and cannot afford to hamstring themselves by giving FA vets bad contracts. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with this to a certain point, but I don't think re-signing veteran players just because they were Broncos is the best approach. Denver should not be spending will-nilly in the FA market you'll get no disagreement from me there. But it takes two to tango, these guys have to want to stay, and we should be paying them what they are worth.

Wolfe, for example, is an incredibly risking signing. If we can get him on a short deal with less guaranteed, I would be okay with it, but his injury history alone means we should be wary. Harris wants to test FA. Our offer is already known, if he wants his chance to get paid somewhere else, so be it. Denver is ascending, and cannot afford to hamstring themselves by giving FA vets bad contracts. 

Agreed.  I get it would be nice to have a bunch of good players on team friendly deals, but the reality is that doesn’t happen all that often.  Throwing out below value offers to players also doesn’t set a very good example, guys want to be paid what their worth, low balling them won’t make Denver a desirable destination.  The Chris Harris Jr.  situation is a great example.  He seems pissed off that he took a team friendly deal only to have Denver go out and sign a same aged player to a better contract.  He seems even more pissed off with the 2 year  $27M offer which he considers another team friendly deal as well.  

The CHJ aspect has  a lot of different ramifications. Chris knows this is business for the Broncos, he expressed his dissatisfaction and ended up with a $3M raise, that's good (not smart) business by the Broncos showing him his value to the organization. But Chris also has stated he likes Denver, just wants to see his true worth on the Free Agent market. I'm not sure what offers he'll find out there but if it's comparable does he uproot his family from a place they seems to love ??

15 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

The CHJ aspect has  a lot of different ramifications. Chris knows this is business for the Broncos, he expressed his dissatisfaction and ended up with a $3M raise, that's good (not smart) business by the Broncos showing him his value to the organization. But Chris also has stated he likes Denver, just wants to see his true worth on the Free Agent market. I'm not sure what offers he'll find out there but if it's comparable does he uproot his family from a place they seems to love ??

I think Harris has made it pretty clear he’s going to the highest bidder.  While he’s made comments about loving Denver and it being his families 1st home, he’s also made comments about going somewhere where he will be “loved” and that wherever he ends up he’ll know that team loves him....Doesn’t sound like someone planning to stick around.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I think Harris has made it pretty clear he’s going to the highest bidder.  While he’s made comments about loving Denver and it being his families 1st home, he’s also made comments about going somewhere where he will be “loved” and that wherever he ends up he’ll know that team loves him....Doesn’t sound like someone planning to stick around.

Harris gave us a huge hometown discount.  This is his last big payday he can be sure on.  It's only him and Logan Ryan in UFA as the top tier guys.   He's not settling for a dime less than top dollar IMO, barring a bottom 5 team offering (I dunno why, but just saying).    Harris' camp already turned down a 3/36M (the guaranteed $ matters even more, so obv there's missing info).  I just don't see anything but top market money at 2 guaranteed / 3 overall year coming.   I don't think that's Elway's style at all.

I could see TAM signing CHJ, given the Shaq Barrett / Darian Stewart connection.  PHI is the obvious other candidate, but point being, there are plenty of teams who will likely offer more than Elway is willing to.   Of all our FA's, it would be a massive upset to see CHJ return to DEN, given his focus on top $ (on a non-terrible team).

As for the vet re-signs - again, we should NOT pursue based on sentimentality. The whole idea that if we don't re-sign them, it jeopardizes future deals, is outdated.    Everyone in the FO's and players & their agents gets that when it comes to contracts, it's a business first.    Team-friendly extensions that get done reflect a decision a player takes to be safe, given how short careers are - and on contenders, the wish to "keep the gang together to go for the crown" type thinking.  It's what happened in 2014-15 with us.   It's not likely happening here, for good reason.   It won't prevent us from getting those type of deals done, in the future, either - just that we have to have a good enough team where the 2nd notion is appealing enough (win a ring if you stay).    We're not there yet, obviously.

I feel confident we'll get Simmons re-signed, it's just a question of whether it's the franchise tag (at 12M, no-brainer), or a multi-year deal.   I really would be surprised if either CHJ or Wolfe re-signed, or Shelby Harris.   Unless Elway is going full-market FA value, which again is not his usual MO until we are literally 1-2 players away (2014 with Talib), and given how Fangio's system doesn't emphasize those spots nearly as much as Wade's did, I think we should be prepared for 2/3 gone, if not all 3.   Frankly, given how we've excelled with a youth movement, I will do nothing but wish anyone who leaves well, but won't be that sad, either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with that. That's kinda what I was trying to say.

No to Anderson. He’s a head case.

Ya, I am very worried about how he will approach the game once he gets paid. I would rather sign Cobb to a short term deal. Or kick the tires on Rashard Higgins and draft 2 guys. 

I think Higgins could come extremely cheap and surprise. He got lost in the **** show that was Cleveland this season, but the year before was finally showing out with 39 catches at 15  YPC and 70% completion rate. 

WR get paid handsomely, I would rather get Higgins as a reclamation project on a one year deal than throw 10-13M per season at Anderson. Even Perriman IMO gets close to 10M per season. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1