Picking #3

Superduperman

1 minute ago, flyguy1609 said:

they signed Stephon Gilmore when he was a fa and he was a top 10 pick. Devin McCourty  was there last cb taking in the 1st and he was the 27th pick in the 2010 draft. Mccourty was moved to safety after they traded for talib in 2012. it  seemed BB always wanted a cb to take 1 side of the field away.  in 2014 he signed Revis to replace Talib

Gilmore was a FA signing, so that doesn't really count. So we're looking at one guy that whole time as a 1st round draft selection. This is kind of my point but it's not because they're devaluing the position. They place more weight in guys that have developed and not rely on rookies as much. Which is where these trades come in. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Gilmore was a FA signing, so that doesn't really count. So we're looking at one guy that whole time as a 1st round draft selection. This is kind of my point but it's not because they're devaluing the position. They place more weight in guys that have developed and not rely on rookies as much. Which is where these trades come in. 

im agreeing with you they don’t draft cb’s in round 1 but there usually drafting in the 20s on down and it also seems whatever the #1 cb(at the time) finds there way to NE(revis, talib, Gilmore) if  okudah is there highest rated player when they draft they should take him.. him slay and Coleman could be a great triplet  tandem. 

16 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

im agreeing with you they don’t draft cb’s in round 1 but there usually drafting in the 20s on down and it also seems whatever the #1 cb(at the time) finds there way to NE(revis, talib, Gilmore) if  okudah is there highest rated player when they draft they should take him.. him slay and Coleman could be a great triplet  tandem. 

Yeah - you're right there. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade down to #5 with the Dolphins, snagging an extra 1st and grabbing a guy like Kinlaw to go with Okudah. I like Oruwariye but he's not proven just yet and you can't put your blind faith into a 5th round guy that is unproven. This would especially make a lot of sense if we were to bring in Kris Richard as our DC. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, Karnage84 said:

There's a spin 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, Karnage84 said:

Yeah - you're right there. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade down to #5 with the Dolphins, snagging an extra 1st and grabbing a guy like Kinlaw to go with Okudah. I like Oruwariye but he's not proven just yet and you can't put your blind faith into a 5th round guy that is unproven. This would especially make a lot of sense if we were to bring in Kris Richard as our DC. 

We wouldn't be in Kinlaw territory yet. Likely whoever we would have took at 3 would be the pick. Still one of Brown, Epenesa or Okudah IMO. The Giants taking Andrew Thomas is the draft's 3rd lock IMO

11 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

We wouldn't be in Kinlaw territory yet. Likely whoever we would have took at 3 would be the pick. Still one of Brown, Epenesa or Okudah IMO. The Giants taking Andrew Thomas is the draft's 3rd lock IMO

I’m think he meant with another 1st (likely being Miami’s 5 and 18) and drafting Okudah at 5 and Kinlaw at 18.  

Also I’m not sold on the Giants going OT.  Also not sold on Thomas being the top OT.  They need a lot and I think they lean Jeudy. 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I’m think he meant with another 1st (likely being Miami’s 5 and 18) and drafting Okudah at 5 and Kinlaw at 18.  

Also I’m not sold on the Giants going OT.  Also not sold on Thomas being the top OT.  They need a lot and I think they lean Jeudy. 

That is what I meant.

Miami's #5 and #25. There was a mock that had Kinlaw available in that spot. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

How far would you be willing to move down, assuming that compensation is adequate enough to move down to whatever spot? At which point in the draft do you think the talent drops off and getting the extra picks vs selecting a great player is no longer beneficial?

This really is one of the key questions.

If we're moving down, we have to assume that 1) Chase Young was taken 2nd overall, and 2) Tua is the trade up target. That leaves the following names:

Derrick Brown

Jeff Okudah

Isaiah Simmons

I believe that trading down once is only truly worth it if we leave with one of those three players. With the WRs (Lamb and Jeudy), the OTs (Thomas and possibly Wirfs/Willis) and even Herbert potentially being targeted by other teams, and where we stand now, I think I'd feel uncomfortable trading down farther than #8.

If Brown, Okudah and Simmons all leave the board before #8, and Herbert is still available, I'd see if a QB-needy team sitting in the middle of the draft wanted to move up again. Leaving the first round with a mid-1st defender, two additional 2nd round picks and two additional 2021 1st round picks would be an incredible haul.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This really is one of the key questions.

If we're moving down, we have to assume that 1) Chase Young was taken 2nd overall, and 2) Tua is the trade up target. That leaves the following names:

Derrick Brown

Jeff Okudah

Isaiah Simmons

I believe that trading down once is only truly worth it if we leave with one of those three players. With the WRs (Lamb and Jeudy), the OTs (Thomas and possibly Wirfs/Willis) and even Herbert potentially being targeted by other teams, and where we stand now, I think I'd feel uncomfortable trading down farther than #8.

If Brown, Okudah and Simmons all leave the board before #8, and Herbert is still available, I'd see if a QB-needy team sitting in the middle of the draft wanted to move up again. Leaving the first round with a mid-1st defender, two additional 2nd round picks and two additional 2021 1st round picks would be an incredible haul.

To me, it depends on where the drop off is for Blue Chip Players. 

Burrow

Chase

Tua

Brown, Okudah, Jeudy are probably the next group. Simmons could also be in that mix. I don't see us trading back any further than 7. Arizona doesn't need to move up to #3 while Miami, Los Angeles and Carolina all could be in the mix for a QB. 

• Like 1

Really, these are the hot spots

#5 - Dolphins - Multiple 1sts (3)

#6 - Chargers

#7 - Panthers

#9 - Jaguars - Multiple 1sts (2)

#12 - Raiders - Multiple 1sts (2)

#13 - Colts

#14 - Bucs

#23 - Patriots

#25 - Vikings

The most realistic chances are the Dolphins at 5 and the Chargers at 6. Distant third is Carolina. If Tua shows up and performs like he could before Rhule could look to begin his era with his own QB and trade up. Herbert and Love are the only other real 1st round guys at the moment and both have their own question marks.